Cove Thread

51 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I’d be raging if I were a cove supporter listening to that. Yes, McAllister going on holiday during the season isn’t ideal but to get rid of a player of his quality because of that seems wild to me, especially when Cove are part time. I’d understand a lot more if this situation came about at a full time club 

Cant see McIntyre becoming a roaring success at all if I’m being honest. A lot seems to be relying on megginson continuing to produce the goods up top  

Notwithstanding that McIntyre has clearly handled the situation badly, while he also has a history of clashing with players that doesn't bode well when this is happening so early in the season, is 35 year old Rory McAllister really that big a loss to a Championship club?

Obviously he's much better than the likes of McIntosh, and the only reason he's been playing below this level for 15 years is getting more money when there are clubs who'd have taken a shot on him if he was willing to relocate and/or go full time, but the fact is that he's unproven at this level of football. There are several forwards over the years who've torn the third and fourth tiers apart then not handled the step up to this league. You can argue that the gap between the second and third tier over the last few years isn't as big as it once was, but there's no guarantee he was going to perform in this division.

44 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Notwithstanding that McIntyre has clearly handled the situation badly, while he also has a history of clashing with players that doesn't bode well when this is happening so early in the season, is 35 year old Rory McAllister really that big a loss to a Championship club?

Obviously he's much better than the likes of McIntosh, and the only reason he's been playing below this level for 15 years is getting more money when there are clubs who'd have taken a shot on him if he was willing to relocate and/or go full time, but the fact is that he's unproven at this level of football. There are several forwards over the years who've torn the third and fourth tiers apart then not handled the step up to this league. You can argue that the gap between the second and third tier over the last few years isn't as big as it once was, but there's no guarantee he was going to perform in this division.

Rory linked extremely well with Mitch the past two seasons. There was a real chemistry there and not only did he get 19 goals in all competition last season he provided a fair few assists and brought others into the game with his hold up play.

Rory, for me, was a starter and would have taken chances presented to him. Gerry has a lot to prove and Leighton's ceiling is L1. He does have pace and as a late sub might knick the odd goal but with any summer strengthening he should have been gone in my eyes.

57 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Probably better than most strikers in this division to be fair regardless of all that. Real lack of good strikers all over Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I think it’s more a wild decision cause of the potential detriment it has on the squad and their overall chances this season. Their squad already seemed extremely light prior to his departure but now, out with 6 or 7 players, the quality of player doesn’t seem to be as well rounded as last season. Fyvie, Logan, megginson, Yule etc will be fine but I’m cautious over how impactful Reynolds and Vigurs will be

Next couple signings will be key for Cove I’d imagine 

Edited by qpfc

4 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I think it’s more a wild decision cause of the potential detriment it has on the squad and their overall chances this season. Their squad already seemed extremely light prior to his departure but now, out with 6 or 7 players, the quality of player doesn’t seem to be as well rounded as last season. Fyvie, Logan, megginson, Yule etc will be fine but I’m cautious over how impactful Reynolds and Vigurs will be

Next couple signings will be key for Cove I’d imagine 

Yeah would agree with that.

August will be busy for us no doubt. The signings will make or break Jim. We'll have some money to spend but he needs to nail the signings. 

58 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Alright folks, looking into heading up for the game at Cove in a few weeks time. What's the best of way of getting to the ground by public transport from the city centre? Quickest bus etc.

Bus, 3/3A, I think takes ~15 mins. Unsure the cost. Aberdeen isn't the cheapest City for bus fares

Taxis,  Rainbow Taxis (01224 878787) or Central (01224 890089), cost ~£10, but should be easily available.

Personally, if there’s more than 2 of you or if money is no object, then I’d get a taxi from a rank in the city centre. c£20 return journey, the bus will be approx £4.50 each for a day ticket.

Also reckon it’ll take a lot longer than 15 minutes by bus as traffic can be a nightmare on market street on Saturday afternoons, I would think it could be closer to 30 on a bad day with the lights against you. There’s also a 5-10 minute walk once you get off the bus and, of course, you’re at the mercy of the timetables.

Familiarise yourself with where the ranks are - Back Wynd, Chapel Street, Dee Street, Exchequer Row - park yourself in a nearby pub until as late as possible (2:15-2:30) then a  10-15 minute drive and be dropped at the door. Call a taxi to pick you up after the game or get a bus back as there won’t be the time pressures.

Edited by Tattie36

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Cheers guys! Had initially thought it may be walkable but having looked at maps its a no from me (especially after a few drinks). 

Definitely wouldn’t walk it. It’s pretty much all uphill, a lot of it alongside a dual carriageway, and through some not great areas and industrial estates. Would take well over an hour and there are no pubs on the way for a drink.

Cove sign 21 year old Luis Longstaff who was released from the Liverpool academy squad at the start of July on a 1 year deal. Played last season on loan at Queen's Park, racking up 29 appearances, although the feedback from Spiders fans isn't great. Fair to say he didn't overly impress. Cove fans might remember him as he got sent off at Balmoral in the first half of the game which ended 0-0.

Cove in need of a winger appeared to have gambled on Luis after missing out on 1 winger who went down south and another winger who signed for a promotion pushing Championship side.

Hopefully we can get the best out of him and he isnt a left footed Robbie Leitch. Another 1 year deal which is about as low risk as it gets. Impresses then could extend or leave for nothing. Doesn't work out then he heads clearly 

Screenshot_20220804-180309.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

I regret to inform you that he’s absolute toilet. A genuine candidate for the worst ever QP XI.

Knew there would be a fair bit of this from the Spiders. You guys saw him a lot and I value an honest opinion though. 

I wouldn't tell you Leighton, Leitch, Broque Watson are stars when clearly they aren't.

Like I said hopefully we can get the best out of him.

Any strengths at all?

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Knew there would be a fair bit of this from the Spiders going. You guys saw him a lot and I value an honest opinion though. 

Like I said hopefully we can get the best out of him.

Any strengths at all?

He’s possibly a nice guy, but there aren’t any footballing strengths that spring to mind. Even managed to be terrible in a game where he scored a double. 

Normally when a player that’s been rubbish for us signs for another team, I’m usually able to identify an attribute of the player that might actually benefit the team, but in Longstaff’s case, he had literally nothing about him 

For a winger, he can’t run, he can’t beat a man, he’s never a threat in the box and has the heart of a mouse. Although you can’t expect wingers to be great at tackling, I’ve never seen a player so timid and unwilling to get stuck in. Genuinely if you’re holding on to a lead, Longstaff is as good as a man down. 

He had so many games to show why he had been part of Liverpool’s academy but not once did he take his opportunity. He scored a double against a toilet Dumbarton side to only get himself sent off the next game against yourselves. Once Coyle got a grip of the squad, he was never used at all for the last 7 or 8 games thankfully 

Honestly my least favourite loan ever when I think of it 

Edited by qpfc

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Any strengths at all?

For a big guy he has absolutely no strength, nor does he have any pace which isn't ideal out wide. He also can't shoot or pass.

3 of his 4 goals came against an absolutely rank rotten Dumbarton team, and the other was the 6th against Falkirk when we pumped them which doesn't even count.

Surely he's not going to be starting for you? I wanted to like the guy, but he's an awful player.

Interesting to see how we line up on Saturday now with Luis joining and Blair back. Latter is a guaranteed starter for me. Undoubtedly one of our best central midfielders and I'd even play him RW to get him in the side.

I suspect Jim will play Luis from the start

4 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Normally when a player that’s been rubbish for us signs for another team, I’m usually able to identify an attribute of the player that might actually benefit the team, but in Longstaff’s case, he had literally nothing about him 

For a winger, he can’t run, he can’t beat a man, he’s never a threat in the box and has the heart of a mouse. Although you can’t expect wingers to be great at tackling, I’ve never seen a player so timid and unwilling to get stuck in. Genuinely if you’re holding on to a lead, Longstaff is as good as a man down. 

He had so many games to show why he had been part of Liverpool’s academy but not once did he take his opportunity. He scored a double against a toilet Dumbarton side to only get himself sent off the next game against yourselves. Once Coyle got a grip of the squad, he was never used at all for the last 7 or 8 games thankfully 

Honestly my least favourite loan ever when I think of it 

What a signing. Least it's just a 1 year deal then.

I really think Jim will put faith in his signing. He needs to be better than Leighton McIntosh or Robbie Leitch to get in the side currently.

22 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

For a big guy he has absolutely no strength, nor does he have any pace which isn't ideal out wide. He also can't shoot or pass.

3 of his 4 goals came against an absolutely rank rotten Dumbarton team, and the other was the 6th against Falkirk when we pumped them which doesn't even count.

Surely he's not going to be starting for you? I wanted to like the guy, but he's an awful player.

I really think Jim will put faith in his signing which worries me as I read the previous comments on him prior to posting. He needs to be better than Leighton McIntosh or Robbie Leitch to get in the side currently. It's not a high bar.

We'll sign others definitely so suspect he might be a squad player.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove sign 21 year old Luis Longstaff who was released from the Liverpool academy squad at the start of July on a 1 year deal. Played last season on loan at Queen's Park, racking up 29 appearances, although the feedback from Spiders fans isn't great. Fair to say he didn't overly impress. Cove fans might remember him as he got sent off at Balmoral in the first half of the game which ended 0-0.

Cove in need of a winger appeared to have gambled on Luis after missing out on 1 winger who went down south and another winger who signed for a promotion pushing Championship side.

Hopefully we can get the best out of him and he isnt a left footed Robbie Leitch. Another 1 year deal which is about as low risk as it gets. Impresses then could extend or leave for nothing. Doesn't work out then he heads clearly 

Screenshot_20220804-180309.jpg

Jake Hastie and who?