Cove Thread

Was up at Balmoral Stadium this evening and couldn’t believe how quickly the end stands have been installed. I was there last Wednesday and nothing had been done. Are there going to be roofs? as I can’t imagine it’ll be much fun sitting out in the rain, standing is much preferable to uncovered seating in inclement weather.

1476E943-47B6-4CAD-B41A-46D07D120ABE.jpeg

C6840757-DE26-4280-B2F5-C42EA2A4C7FB.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Was up at Balmoral Stadium this evening and couldn’t believe how quickly the end stands have been installed. I was there last Wednesday and nothing had been done. Are there going to be roofs? as I can’t imagine it’ll be much fun sitting out in the rain, standing is much preferable to uncovered seating in inclement weather.

1476E943-47B6-4CAD-B41A-46D07D120ABE.jpeg

C6840757-DE26-4280-B2F5-C42EA2A4C7FB.jpeg

Cheers for the photos.

Looking more like a football ground now rather than a Highland League grun.

There is definitely roofs to be put on according to a guy I know who is supposedly in the know about this.

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cheers for the photos.

Looking more like a football ground now rather than a Highland League grun.

There is definitely roofs to be put on according to a guy I know who is supposedly in the know about this.

Yeah it’s a vast improvement even without roofs. Once the stands are covered then it’ll be a tidy wee ground. Having said that, I think the stands would have been better being narrower and deeper. Spreading all the fans out like that won’t be great for atmosphere. I suppose your limited by the depth available though.

So two days away from the league campaign starting and I thought I'd give my views.

Undoubtedly we're looking weaker than how we ended last season which is madness given we're stepping up a level and we weren't in need of major surgery. I was fairly confident even if Hartley left we'd attract quality managerial candidates and the club would choose the right one..

McIntyre, although early days, feels like a downgrade to Hartley. Not just because he's failed to make many signings but as he's basically ousted Rory, could go with Gourlay ahead of McKenzie, gave Leighton an extension, changed our formation and doesn't seem like a vocal leader from the sidelines.

Towler looks a decent prospect, will be steady enough and improve but all Cove fans will admit he's a huge downgrade from Harry Milne. It was an impossible task to replace him with the same quality; we'd need a first choice LWB from a mid-top half of the Prem. Getting Aberdeen's 5th choice LB isn't ideal. He's probably a similar level to Hancock and Ngwenya to be fair.

McDonagh is no Rory. A semi competent third striker but absolutely no more than that. I'd prefer many others who have passed us by in this window. He's clearly not got the pace and it's doubtful he'll chalk up many goals at this level.

I fully expect an influx of signings in August whether they are loans or a mixture of loans and us getting the cheque book and making 1 or 2 calculated bigger name signings. There won't be any 3 year deals. Think we are still suffering from doing that last season.

Negatives so far apart from the above and only having a 16 man squad is the team is missing some pace and creativity. 

Plus points are we've kept many of our key players from last year, we have experienced players that can grind out results, we have a goalscorer in Mitch and we haven't spent much of budget yet so should be plenty left.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

So two days away from the league campaign starting and I thought I'd give my views.

Undoubtedly we're looking weaker than how we ended last season which is madness given we're stepping up a level and we weren't in need of major surgery. I was fairly confident even if Hartley left we'd attract quality managerial candidates and the club would choose the right one..

McIntyre, although early days, feels like a downgrade to Hartley. Not just because he's failed to make many signings but as he's basically ousted Rory, could go with Gourlay ahead of McKenzie, gave Leighton an extension, changed our formation and doesn't seem like a vocal leader from the sidelines.

Towler looks a decent prospect, will be steady enough and improve but all Cove fans will admit he's a huge downgrade from Harry Milne. It was an impossible task to replace him with the same quality; we'd need a first choice LWB from a mid-top half of the Prem. Getting Aberdeen's 5th choice LB isn't ideal. He's probably a similar level to Hancock and Ngwenya to be fair.

McDonagh is no Rory. A semi competent third striker but absolutely no more than that. I'd prefer many others who have passed us by in this window. He's clearly not got the pace and it's doubtful he'll chalk up many goals at this level.

I fully expect an influx of signings in August whether they are loans or a mixture of loans and us getting the cheque book and making 1 or 2 calculated bigger name signings. There won't be any 3 year deals. Think we are still suffering from doing that last season.

Negatives so far apart from the above and only having a 16 man squad is the team is missing some pace and creativity. 

Plus points are we've kept many of our key players from last year, we have experienced players that can grind out results, we have a goalscorer in Mitch and we haven't spent much of budget yet so should be plenty left.

I went to the Kelty game and was struck by the fact that McDonagh did not win the ball in the air. Rory came on as sub and he got flick ons against the same defender even though you would not say that was his game.  Strange one.

1 hour ago, Strathman said:

I went to the Kelty game and was struck by the fact that McDonagh did not win the ball in the air. Rory came on as sub and he got flick ons against the same defender even though you would not say that was his game.  Strange one.

I completely agree, he doesn't jump. Instead tries to back in or shield.

We were awful without the ball that night I thought and got punished for it 

The supposed holiday rumour sparking Rory potentially being left out that starting lineup and ultimately his decision to go is all over the P&J the day before we start the season. Not ideal.

According to the P&J, Rory had a pre-booked holiday for September which Jim told him to cancel, he tried to compromise and said he would return home early as to not miss a game. Was denied and the rest is history. 

Given he's one of our potent goalscorers, L1 player of the league nominee last season we should be managing that better in my opinion. Rory had reasons for choosing September; had a child in March, busy with work commitments, passport delays. 

Hearing from several Cove fans on FB and elsewhere that Gourlay might be giving the number 1 spot over Stuart. Just rumours, we'll see tomorrow.

Jim saying he wants 4 more added to the squad was the other news in the paper.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

The supposed holiday rumour sparking Rory potentially being left out that starting lineup and ultimately his decision to go is all over the P&J the day before we start the season. Not ideal.

According to the P&J, Rory had a pre-booked holiday for September which Jim told him to cancel, he tried to compromise and said he would return home early as to not miss a game. Was denied and the rest is history. 

Given he's one of our potent goalscorers, L1 player of the league nominee last season we should be managing that better in my opinion. Rory had reasons for choosing September; had a child in March, busy with work commitments, passport delays. 

Hearing from several Cove fans on FB and elsewhere that Gourlay might be giving the number 1 spot over Stuart. Just rumours, we'll see tomorrow.

Jim saying he wants 4 more added to the squad was the other news in the paper.

Understand why McIntyre would be a bit annoyed with that but surely given they circumstances the outcome didn’t need to be the one that’s transpired. McIntyre doesn’t seem like a very personable guy to be honest. I think he would be easy to fall out with 

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Understand why McIntyre would be a bit annoyed with that but surely given they circumstances the outcome didn’t need to be the one that’s transpired. McIntyre doesn’t seem like a very personable guy to be honest. I think he would be easy to fall out with 

Understand it a bit but given the whole situation we are in it needs managed better and ultimately we don't lose a key player due to it. He's away to punt McKenzie to our number 2 as well

3df74i.gif

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Every keeper has a howler or two, Stuart included, and granted Gourlay has improved in the odd game we've seen him over the last 12 months but he still flaps and doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I'll never forget this

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxECc6trWH1vDYXA8BOejr4zIidQr20z0a

33 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Understand it a bit but given the whole situation we are in it needs managed better and ultimately we don't lose a key player due to it. He's away to punt McKenzie to our number 2 as well

3df74i.gif

McIntyre Interviewed by Northsound today and discusses Rory

58 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

McIntyre Interviewed by Northsound today and discusses Rory

I’d be raging if I were a cove supporter listening to that. Yes, McAllister going on holiday during the season isn’t ideal but to get rid of a player of his quality because of that seems wild to me, especially when Cove are part time. I’d understand a lot more if this situation came about at a full time club 

Cant see McIntyre becoming a roaring success at all if I’m being honest. A lot seems to be relying on megginson continuing to produce the goods up top  

Edited by qpfc

Haven't been to Cove since the HL days, the ground is looking somewhat more like a stadium now with the new stands, looking good.

Strange one re. McAllister could understand McIntyre not being happy if he had missed a game but the player himself said he re-arranged his flights so he wouldn't miss the game,  so he was transfer listed because he was going to miss 2 training sessions?! All a bit strange, wont do McIntyre any favour's if he is treating fans favourites like that incuding the gk if he does indeed not start him, not a good start to his reign where it appears he has been unpopular since being announced.

Rory is a good lad and a very good player 

I think that highly of him I will not let him miss 2 training sessions to go away on holiday with his family because he couldn’t get away in the summer due to several issues

Good one Jim

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's a bit more to it than that. The holiday was the final straw. McIntyre not taking too well to part time football it seems.

Part-time or not at this level the profesional standards will be high.  I don’t think there will be many allowances made for well payed players.