Cove Thread

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye that’s crazy. Some very talented players living in the city. Think McIntosh could probably count as local’ish. That’ll only be an hour up the road for him 

And on the backing thing it’s just the fact that even if you were FT you would still have to get guys to move to Aberdeen.

Even with young Shanks, very surprised Cove never went for him. His options would be pretty limited due to staying in Inverurie. Just a young lad, if he’s got a job and a girlfriend and he’s happy living where he does then PT football wise ourselves and you are by far the best options for him. Especially you lads.

Unless Inverness or County took a punt on him he’d have to move away from home to get FT football 

Agreed that even if we become hybrid/FT then Aberdeen isn't for everyone but it's a decent city and we'd offer good wages I would think. Makes it far more tempting than commuting hours or trying to find a job to support yourself.

You'd still get players that would prefer to stay near their roots even if that meant slightly less wages or even playing a league below.

I think if we got Barry Robson instead of Jim McIntyre we'd see him tapping into some Aberdeen Youths or ex-Aberdeen Youths. He's from Inverurie as well so would definitely know Shanks.

Cove sign highly rated Evan Towler on a season loan from Aberdeen.

Evan, a 17 year old LB, excelled at Elgin on loan on the 2nd half of last season. He played in the Dons pre-season friendly against Buckie.

Interesting to see if he is our preferred LB or if Scully will remain. Personally I'd like to see Scully in his natural DCM position.

Draper quoted as saying he's the best 17 year old footballer he's ever seen. Big words.

@Thom & Gerry thoughts on Evan?

Screenshot_20220705-180357.jpg

11 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Yeah he was a regular with us and not many loans at Elgin have managed that. Wouldn’t go as far as Draper but should be able to make the step up.

He's got big boots to fill as Harry Milne was outstanding for us. Hopefully he can stake his place in the team. Scully does a decent job there but but offensively isn't as creative as Harry was.

What are Evan's strengths and weaknesses? Hopefully he's got pace and enough physicality about him for his young age. 

Stunning day all over the country it seems and although it's not a competitive fixture for us I'm so glad  normality is about to return to a Saturday!

Cove out warming up at McDermaid. No signs of any trialists.

1pm kick off here and Sportsound on to listen to the games on the way home. 

No Rory in the squad today.

Evan and Gerry both start, latter as a lone striker with Masson playing behind him I suspect.

Screenshot_20220709-124118.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1-1 at halftime in what is the epitome of a pre-season friendly. A lot of light jogging and low intensity; Vigurs in his element!

Gerry McDonagh looks strong, someone that can hold the ball up well and knows where the net is. Should be a good compliment for Mitch especially when he gets match sharp. Mitch should play the half second.

Yule must have pulled out pre-game as isn't even warming up.

We're playing 4-4-2. Think McIntyre will prefer it. We need more pace and athletisim in the side. Plain to see. We'll need some wingers as Leitch and Masson aren't ones to be fair.

2-2 after 65 minutes. A Theo Blair well finished effort after a parting of the seas at the back by Cove followed by fine cross the goal finish by Leighton McIntosh (surprised me that's for sure)

Theo looks streets ahead of May and could be a strong acquisition if the Saints can find him a striking partner.

Ends 3-2 to St Johnstone.

Not the way we'll line up for our forthcoming matches with alone striker so hard to glean much. Need more pace in the side that's for sure. I'd be surprised if our next signing or two aren't midfielders who are creative or ball carriers.

Young left back Evan Towler did admirably and will progress.  Unfortunately, as expected, he's some way off the standard of Harry Milne. 

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Theo looks streets ahead of May and could be a strong acquisition if the Saints can find him a striking partner.

Talk is we're only starting with one striker in the majority of games.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Talk is we're only starting with one striker in the majority of games.

A second, perhaps more nimble predator goalscorer would benefit hugely from Theo in my opinion. Who that second striker would be I'm unsure. Clearly not easy to find either. Liked Theo's aerial ability, positional play and competence in front of goal impressed me.

We played both halves with only one striker which isn't our style. We'll have a few more additions coming soon.

Another one I had an eye on as a potential target for us finds another club.

McIntyre took Woods to County. Although we weren't in desperate need for a keeper, we are in other areas, I thought he could come our way after leaving Aberdeen. Killie clearly offer FT and bigger money.

Screenshot_20220722-155457.jpg

On 20/07/2022 at 17:39, CoveRangers1922 said:

Few extra sponsors announced. Some further financial input which is always welcome, time to splash the cash

https://coverangersfc.com/2022/07/20/new-commercial-partnerships-announced/

Hope they don’t want an advertising board - never seen so many at a football ground in my life. I understand it’s all financial gain but, jesus it looks terrible.

Also, was in the main stand on Wednesday evening and still not a single bit of work done for the new stands. Are these genuinely going to be in place, plus all the associated perimeter fencing, gates etc, by the first home game of the season?

Edited by Tattie36

14 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Hope they don’t want an advertising board - never seen so many at a football ground in my life. I understand it’s all financial gain but, jesus it looks terrible.

Also, was in the main stand on Wednesday evening and still not a single bit of work done for the new stands. Are these genuinely going to be in place, plus all the associated perimeter fencing, gates etc, by the first home game of the season?

Supposedly by our 2nd league home game now, which is matchday 4.

We do have a fair few advertising boards. Temp stands will block them out so candidates to be moved elsewhere no doubt.

McIntyre in the paper after the draw with Caley yesterday saying

Masson should be back for the Raith Rovers game on Saturday, but McIntyre feels it is clear they need to strengthen further.

“We’re still way short on bodies and that’ll be an ongoing process, until we get them in the door,” he said. “We should have Masson back in training on Tuesday night and hopefully Yule, by the following weekend, will be ready to start again.

“That will give us another couple of options and hopefully we’ll have added one or two by then as well.”

It's stating the obvious but good he's coming out saying it. Feels like we've barely started our squad additions and late July / August could be quite busy for us. 

Yule back will be a big bonus. I doubt Masson will get much game time at all.