Cove Thread

43 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s an unusual year I feel. Very quiet all over the board 

Completely agree. It's eerily quiet across the whole SPFL. Very few out of contract Premiership or Championship players available right now.

Loan market is going to be fiercely competitive.

In previous years we've had a succession of statement permanent signings, for our level at the time, such as Fyvie in Summer 2019, Rory in Jan 2020 and Logan Autumn 2021. I'd like to think we can add to that but ultimately we need quality across the board rather than 1 big name and squad fillers. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

32 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Completely agree. It's eerily quiet across the whole SPFL. Very few out of contract Premiership or Championship players available right now.

Loan market is going to be fiercely competitive.

In previous years we've had a succession of statement permanent signings, for our level at the time, such as Fyvie in Summer 2019, Rory in Jan 2020 and Logan Autumn 2021. I'd like to think we can add to that but ultimately we need quality across the board rather than 1 big name and squad fillers. 

I dunno. A lot of clubs fans are saying similar things and there seems to have been a lack of signings in this league and league 1 going by the threads, so there must be players out there. Imagine we will have 3/4 loans too and they’ll already be sorted. Will just be waiting on the Premier Sports cup being over.

17 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I dunno. A lot of clubs fans are saying similar things and there seems to have been a lack of signings in this league and league 1 going by the threads, so there must be players out there. Imagine we will have 3/4 loans too and they’ll already be sorted. Will just be waiting on the Premier Sports cup being over.

Seems that some available players are being picked up in England, probably related to work regs since Brexit making it easier.

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Seems that some available players are being picked up in England, probably related to work regs since Brexit making it easier.

Yeah a few clubs are dipping into the English lower league market right enough. I feel that's potentially risky, sometimes you find a diamond but there's a fair few duds going about. Need the luck of the Irish to get the right one.

44 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah a few clubs are dipping into the English lower league market right enough. I feel that's potentially risky, sometimes you find a diamond but there's a fair few duds going about. Need the luck of the Irish to get the right one.

We dragged Ugwu, Duku and Musonda out of level 5 and 6 in England. All three have performed acceptably, to one extent or another, for a couple of seasons up here, so it’s quite possible.

The wait is over...We have a new signing, quite probably a new Ola Adeyemo; a benchwarmer extraordinaire.

24 year old Irish-born striker Gerry McDonagh, sounds like a character from an American soap, who has floated around English National League level for several years. Less than 70 senior games and just a handful of goals.

Stab in the dark? Looks like it to me. Potential pros are he's 6ft 3 and looks a bit of a brute. Cons are he seems injury prone, low number of games/goals and is poorly rated by many previous clubs.

Doubtful he's going to take the league by storm but more than willing to see him play and give him a chance. Mitch and Rory will still be our preferred duo I suspect. Neeeext..

Screenshot_20220630-182916.jpg

17 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Apparently Martin Woods recommended McDonagh to McIntyre, as the two were teammates at Halifax. I'm damn near certain Woods will be playing at Balmoral within a few weeks.

Heard that too. Woods without a club which is ominous for us. Last thing our squad needs is a 36 years old. McIntyre has said he's looking for more youth to compliment the experienced players we so have.  Hopefully we avoid him 

Also heard today that Jack Hastie was one of the two almost done deals we missed out on the week before last. Don't know the other.

On 02/07/2022 at 19:54, CoveRangers1922 said:

Heard that too. Woods without a club which is ominous for us. Last thing our squad needs is a 36 years old. McIntyre has said he's looking for more youth to compliment the experienced players we so have.  Hopefully we avoid him 

Also heard today that Jack Hastie was one of the two almost done deals we missed out on the week before last. Don't know the other.

Count your blessings if you’ve “missed out” on Hastie. He’s really not very good.

Martin Woods is another who I’d be desperately hoping to miss out on if I was you. An absolute charlatan. 

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

No sign of them yet. Supposedly will be in place for our PS cup game against Livi on 16th July

That’ll be some going. I was sitting in the main stand in Balmoral Stadium last Wednesday evening and there doesn’t appear to have been a stick of prep work done for these stands.

I would have thought, even though temporary, that these stands would require some kind of foundations or at the very least solid, hard ground to be placed on to. Not to mention the perimeter fences and access to be moved or altered.

I’ll be up at the school again this evening so it’ll be interesting to see if anything has been started.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Count your blessings if you’ve “missed out” on Hastie. He’s really not very good.

Martin Woods is another who I’d be desperately hoping to miss out on if I was you. An absolute charlatan. 

Agreed. Doubt he would have really added too much to our starting XI although interested to see how much game time he gets at Hartlepool under Hartley and how he gets on.

I'm hoping that since we're almost 3 weeks into McIntyre's reign and Woods has been a free agent in that time it means he's not Balmoral bound.

Supposedly we're finding it difficult to get our preferred signings in; to be  expected given our PT status and geography. Difficult to persuade "quality" players to play PT when they have offers from FT clubs in the same league or even the league below. Suspect a couple more signings from us this week

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

That’ll be some going. I was sitting in the main stand in Balmoral Stadium last Wednesday evening and there doesn’t appear to have been a stick of prep work done for these stands.

I would have thought, even though temporary, that these stands would require some kind of foundations or at the very least solid, hard ground to be placed on to. Not to mention the perimeter fences and access to be moved or altered.

I’ll be up at the school again this evening so it’ll be interesting to see if anything has been started.

Was last Wednesday Echt vs Tarves at Balmoral?

Nothing new had happened when I was there on Saturday to see us play Gala Fairydean. 

17 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was last Wednesday Echt vs Tarves at Balmoral?

Nothing new had happened when I was there on Saturday to see us play Gala Fairydean. 

Yeah but I was there before the game as my son plays for Cove Youth and they were training at Balmoral earlier.

Will be really interesting to see how they manage to do this in such a short time.

9 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Agreed. Doubt he would have really added too much to our starting XI although interested to see how much game time he gets at Hartlepool under Hartley and how he gets on.

I'm hoping that since we're almost 3 weeks into McIntyre's reign and Woods has been a free agent in that time it means he's not Balmoral bound.

Supposedly we're finding it difficult to get our preferred signings in; to be  expected given our PT status and geography. Difficult to persuade "quality" players to play PT when they have offers from FT clubs in the same league or even the league below. Suspect a couple more signings from us this week

PT or FT it just comes down to money. How many of the current Cove squad live in and around Aberdeen just now? It’s unusually high I think? Just looking through the squad I’d imagine there is a lot of them. That’s gonna be the problem whether FT or PT. 

Getting guys moving up there, you have to pay a premium like Inverness and County do. And then even then there’s Broadfoot just left Inverness because of family reasons. Imagine them and County will have that problem too but they’ve got a much bigger backing 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

PT or FT it just comes down to money. How many of the current Cove squad live in and around Aberdeen just now? It’s unusually high I think? Just looking through the squad I’d imagine there is a lot of them. That’s gonna be the problem whether FT or PT. 

Getting guys moving up there, you have to pay a premium like Inverness and County do. And then even then there’s Broadfoot left Inverness because of family reasons. 

We definitely have financial backing to be competitive but PT is limiting when you add in the location. Not impossible though.

All our squad, 16 senior players, are Aberdeen based except;

Vigurs (Nairn although born in Aberdeen)

McIntosh (Dundee)

Leitch, Neill, Gourlay (Central Belt)

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We definitely have financial backing to be competitive but PT is limiting when you add in the location. Not impossible though.

All our squad, 16 senior players, are Aberdeen based except;

Vigurs (Nairn)

McIntosh (Dundee)

Leitch, Neill, Gourlay (Central Belt)

Aye that’s crazy. Some very talented players living in the city. Think McIntosh could probably count as local’ish. That’ll only be an hour up the road for him 

And on the backing thing it’s just the fact that even if you were FT you would still have to get guys to move to Aberdeen.

Even with young Shanks, very surprised Cove never went for him. His options would be pretty limited due to staying in Inverurie. Just a young lad, if he’s got a job and a girlfriend and he’s happy living where he does then PT football wise ourselves and you are by far the best options for him. Especially you lads.

Unless Inverness or County took a punt on him he’d have to move away from home to get FT football 

Edited by 1320Lichtie