Cove Thread

First pre-season friendly, Stuart McKenzie's testimonial, against Dunfermline at 1pm today.

Sun is out but so is the wind. Hoping a few trialists will be on show.

Heard Shay is out with injury, Draper wasn't at training on Tuesday and if Balint is up playing for Buckie against Aberdeen then we have 14 players including a sub goalie so won't be much rotation.

Will try to spot and name the trialists for both sides.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

First pre-season friendly, Stuart McKenzie's testimonial, against Dunfermline at 1pm today.

Sun is out but so is the wind. Hoping a few trialists will be on show.

Heard Shay is out with injury, Draper wasn't at training on Tuesday and if Balint is up playing for Buckie against Aberdeen then we have 14 players including a sub goalie so won't be much rotation.

Will try to spot and name the trialists for both sides.

At Balmoral, no trialists for Cove.

15 players as we have young Rhys Thomas back. Was on loan to Keith last season.

Shay sitting in the stand. Draper nowhere to seen. Guaranteed he's not playing a part this season for us in my opinion.

Half time and a deserved 1-0 lead for Dunfermline. Cove look lethargic and well off the standard. Neill and Reynolds at centre back lacking pace and looking quite vulnerable.

Impressed with Lewis McCann 

Vigurs and Masson walking in midfield is hard to watch.

Hopefully better 2nd half but little options on the bench 

Half time and a deserved 1-0 lead for Dunfermline. Cove look lethargic and well off the standard. Neill and Reynolds at centre back lacking pace and looking quite vulnerable.

Vigurs and Masson walking in midfield is hard to watch.

Hopefully better 2nd half but little options on the bench 

Ended 2-0 with O'Hara knicking a goal from a misplaced square pass across the front of the 18 yard box.

Although a more even 2nd half with Cove having more possession without doing anything with it, Dunfermline looked comfortable and fully deserved of the win. Can't think of us having any shots on goal which is hugely unlikely us.

It's pre-season so can't read hugely into it but the performance was lacking and my concerns about CB and lack of pace and creativity in the centre of midfield still stands.

Walk away from the ground today thinking this highlights the need for us to make signings. About 4/5 regulars needed along with better subs than Robbie Leitch, Leighton McIntosh, Kyle Gourlay and youngster Rhys Thomas.

Interesting to see what level our surely impending signings are. If we can't improve on our starting XI then it will be a big reliance on loans.

I'll make an early claim that Hartley is a superior manager and that McIntyre won't get anymore out of the existing players than he did. Doesn't have the voice or prescence it seems. Therefore, even more imperative he can add quality to the squad through new bodies 

37 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Ended 2-0 with O'Hara knicking a goal from a misplaced square pass across the front of the 18 yard box.

Although a more even 2nd half with Cove having more possession without doing anything with it, Dunfermline looked comfortable and fully deserved of the win. Can't think of us having any shots on goal which is hugely unlikely us.

It's pre-season so can't read hugely into it but the performance was lacking and my concerns about CB and lack of pace and creativity in the centre of midfield still stands.

Walk away from the ground today thinking this highlights the need for us to make signings. About 4/5 regulars needed along with better subs than Robbie Leitch, Leighton McIntosh, Kyle Gourlay and youngster Rhys Thomas.

Interesting to see what level our surely impending signings are. If we can't improve on our starting XI then it will be a big reliance on loans.

I'll make an early claim that Hartley is a superior manager and that McIntyre won't get anymore out of the existing players than he did. Doesn't have the voice or prescence it seems. Therefore, even more imperative he can add quality to the squad through new bodies 

Wow that was a hard watch. Dunfermline looked far better and fitter than we did, maybe that’s to be expected? Only Scully really had pass marks for me, perhaps Blair too based on second half. 
Fyvie and Vigurs look really poor as did Reynolds and Neill. But as you say it’s Orr season but would definitely need at least 5 strong signings  

3 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

Wow that was a hard watch. Dunfermline looked far better and fitter than we did, maybe that’s to be expected? Only Scully really had pass marks for me, perhaps Blair too based on second half. 
Fyvie and Vigurs look really poor as did Reynolds and Neill. But as you say it’s Orr season but would definitely need at least 5 strong signings  

Fairly brutal yeah. Expected us to be leggy and we were. 

Agree about Scully getting pass marks. Thing is he had no support ahead of him and doesn't have end product. Blair tried but wasted at RB. Crying out for his energy in the middle of the park.

Vigurs is a wasted shirt for me, is a luxury player and will get massively found out. Reynolds and Neill aren't quick enough. Latter's limit is L1.

An eye opener for Jim I feel.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Lewis is the best of our young players and the one most likely to go further in the game. He's a big athletic lad that can ruff up centre backs. His finishing has tended to let him down though but I think he's only 20,  so time to improve.

5 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Lewis is the best of our young players and the one most likely to go further in the game. He's a big athletic lad that can ruff up centre backs. His finishing has tended to let him down though but I think he's only 20,  so time to improve.

Yeah exactly those attributes. Really liked his strength, running and ability to hold it up. A predator goalscorer playing alongside him and that front 2 should bang them in next season.

Wasn't impressed with Wighton or Todorov but thought O'Hara did well.

It's early days with us just going up and a new manager coming in but we looked the L1 side who have a lot to do in next few weeks and you lot the Championship side in all fairness.

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah exactly those attributes. Really liked his strength, running and ability to hold it up. A predator goalscorer playing alongside him and that front 2 should bang them in next season.

Wasn't impressed with Wighton or Todorov but thought O'Hara did well.

It's early days with us just going up and a new manager coming in but we looked the L1 side and you lot the Championship side in all fairness.

Hard to take anything out of these games.

McPake has put a lot of emphasis on fitness since he came in and we've been in training for 3 weeks now. All teams will up to full fitness in 5 weeks time and that won't be an advantage when the real stuff kicks off.

Fairly brutal yeah. Expected us to be leggy and we were. 

Agree about Scully getting pass marks. Thing is he had no support ahead of him and doesn't have end product. Blair tried but wasted at RB. Crying out for his energy in the middle of the park.

Vigurs is a wasted shirt for me, is a luxury player and will get massively found out. Reynolds and Neill aren't quick enough. Latter's limit is L1.

An eye opener for Jim I feel.

Was always suprised you gave Neill a 3 year deal..will always give 100% and head everything but as you say has never been the quickest or the best with the ball...

Was really impressed with Milne last night took no shit off Higgy even though he was trying to wind him up. Was really good in the air aswell.

Looking forward to our trip up later on in the year was at the old ground for a friendly years ago with Thistle winning on pens.

4 hours ago, IR1970 said:

Was always suprised you gave Neill a 3 year deal..will always give 100% and head everything but as you say has never been the quickest or the best with the ball...

Was really impressed with Milne last night took no shit off Higgy even though he was trying to wind him up. Was really good in the air aswell.

Looking forward to our trip up later on in the year was at the old ground for a friendly years ago with Thistle winning on pens.

Last season was madness as we handed 3 year deals to Neill, Vigurs and Draper probably as the bargaining chip to get them to sign. All, you could tell at the time, weren't going to be the quality needed at the level above.

Harry is very solid in the air, has a good leap. Very strong and aggressive in challenge, will never shirk out. We will miss him massively but strangely it's other areas I think we need to strengthen to start with.

11 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Leigh Griffiths has lost a ton of weight and is boxing training all week. Be hilarious if we signed him and got the old version of him rather than the Falkirk one.

McPake being so tight with Griffiths I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with you. Could work well with McCann but his mentality would need to match his new found fitness. Both were lacking at Falkirk. He might also look at Lyall Cameron and Finn Robertson for loan signings if they aren't in Bowyer's plans. Believe he gave both of them their first team debuts.

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

McPake being so tight with Griffiths I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with you. Could work well with McCann but his mentality would need to match his new found fitness. Both were lacking at Falkirk. He might also look at Lyall Cameron and Finn Robertson for loan signings if they aren't in Bowyer's plans. Believe he gave both of them their first team debuts.

Sorry to pollute your thread! Meant to post on Pars one. Will get used to going to League sone eventually. Here’s to 12 points against the wee team from Kirkcaldy for you!

On 25/06/2022 at 16:47, Chubbychops said:

He must have some pedigree.

McIntyre mentioning in the below post match reaction that he thought 1 or 2 deals were done last week only for said players to choose another club. Who's stealing our perspective signings, better not be Hartley! Very intrigued to know who they were but might never find out. 

He said he's spoken to 2 more and is hopeful they will sign during the week coming. 

I hope one is a CB and the other an AM to replace quarterback Iain Vigurs.

https://youtu.be/lLG5timYh70