Cove Thread

23 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Planning application lodged for 2 temporary stands. Says in preparation for the new season which is only 7 weeks away.

https://coverangersfc.com/2022/06/09/club-statement-balmoral-stadium/

More info here below;

2 temporary stands, one behind each of the goals. One for home fans and one for away fans. Total of 882 seats per new temporary stand.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/cove-rangers/4395993/cove-rangers-apply-for-permission-to-build-two-temporary-stands-at-balmoral-stadium/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

More info here below;

2 temporary stands, one behind each of the goals. One for home fans and one for away fans. Total of 882 seats per new temporary stand.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/cove-rangers/4395993/cove-rangers-apply-for-permission-to-build-two-temporary-stands-at-balmoral-stadium/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Wooooop. Sounds good 

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It'll be an improvement. Some shelter from the rain and also might act as a slight wind breaker

882 quite a substantial sized stand for it being behind the goals and a temporary structure too. Think that’s about the exact same number of seats our stand has

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

882 quite a substantial sized stand for it being behind the goals and a temporary structure too. Think that’s about the exact same number of seats our stand has

My first thought too. Our main stand is small and only seats 300. Almost 3 times the capacity. I don't quite understand how that will be be behind the goal. You'd think about 80 a row so 11 rows? 

Seated capacity will now be 2000

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

My first thought too. Our main stand is small and only seats 300. Almost 3 times the capacity. I don't quite understand how that works. You'd think about 80 a row so 11 rows? 

Seated capacity would now be 2000

Not sure but it’ll be interesting to see and should improve the ground a lot. Even just with the roofs keeping some of the noise in

43 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

My first thought too. Our main stand is small and only seats 300. Almost 3 times the capacity. I don't quite understand how that will be be behind the goal. You'd think about 80 a row so 11 rows? 

Seated capacity will now be 2000

Nice to see ambitious plans although I think it’s an odd route to take. Would make much more sense, have a better atmosphere and make a more balanced stadium, if they just built a permanent full-length cover and a few steps of terracing across from the main stand. Perhaps build a small temporary stand next to the main stand to give more seats. Standing is (imo) by far the better way to watch a game, especially at this level. I’m biased but Gayfield is the perfect football watching experience - the ability to move about, covered terracing on all sides and a seat of you want it.

Perhaps Cove are being pragmatic here knowing that a fair chunk of fans next season could be Pittodrie regulars who are used to seating.

Edited by Tattie36

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Nice to see ambitious plans although I think it’s an odd route to take. Would make much more sense, have a better atmosphere and make a more balanced stadium, if they just built a permanent full-length cover and a few steps of terracing across from the main stand. Perhaps build a small temporary stand next to the main stand to give more seats. Standing is (imo) by far the better way to watch a game, especially at this level. I’m biased but Gayfield is the perfect football watching experience - the ability to move about, covered terracing on all sides and a seat of you want it.

Perhaps Cove are being pragmatic here knowing that a fair chunk of fans next season could be Pittodrie regulars who are used to seating.

I agree on the standing part. I much prefer to stand and watch a game than sit.

The temporary stands I've now been told are prefabricated and craned into position. We've gone this route due to time constraints. The stands are supposedly going to be in place before we start our first PS cup game on July 16th (5 weeks time).

Who knows what the plan is for next year or beyond for behind the goal and alongside the pitch.

This setup should be a win for adding to the atmosphere/noise and keeping paying supporters, of both clubs, a bit drier.

Was at Gayfield for the semi final playoff match. Stood opposite the main stand. Can see what you mean about the flexibility

10 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

The temporary stands I've now been told are prefabricated and craned into position. We've gone this route due to time constraints. The stands are supposedly going to be in place before we start our first PS cup game on July 16th (5 weeks time).

Who knows what the plan is for next year or beyond for behind the goal and alongside the pitch.

This setup should be a win for adding to the atmosphere/noise and keeping paying supporters, of both clubs, a bit drier.

Was at Gayfield for the semi final playoff match. Stood opposite the main stand. Can see what you mean about the flexibility

Yeah, makes sense I suppose due to the time constraints. However, the last thing you want is to end up with a mini version of ICTs stadium.

33 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Good post until you mentioned the semi final play off match - I had just banished it from my memory

There'll still be standing areas at Cove so the seating is great in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Good post until you mentioned the semi final play off match - I had just banished it from my memory

There'll still be standing areas at Cove so the seating is great in my opinion 

Was a sore one as I thought you did enough to get through. Jack's chance in the second half and the header off the bar near the death stand out. Anyway, next season is another chance to go at it.

Yeah still will be standing areas. I will take up my usual position around the halfway line opposite the main stand unless it's lashing it down and then I'll take cover

On 09/06/2022 at 19:28, Tattie36 said:

Nice to see ambitious plans although I think it’s an odd route to take. Would make much more sense, have a better atmosphere and make a more balanced stadium, if they just built a permanent full-length cover and a few steps of terracing across from the main stand. 

I suppose because there's already two small covered terraces and a small covered seating bit on the side opposite the main stand, it made more financial sense to put new stands in where there aren't any already - ie. behind both goals.  

I'm a "four or five games per season when the Dons don't have a home match" attendee and I probably slightly prefer standing along the side of the pitch - my season ticket at Pittodrie is behind the goal.  What's most important is being able to see the game though, and what puts me off - despite being tall - is the prospect of standing in the "second row" when there's a decent crowd at Balmoral.  I really can't be ersed turning up 15 minutes before kick off to get a spot at the front, so I was hoping for some additional facilities to get built.  I have no idea if I'm representative or not but I'm happy with this news!  

New manager in although not what we hoped for..Some signings will be coming over the next few days/weeks.

Trying to be optimistic I've looked back over McIntyre's signings at County;

Liam Boyce

Joe Cardle

Michael Gardyne

Brian Graham

Richard Foster

Andrew Davies

David Goodwillie 

Jackson Irvine

Chris Burke

Gary Woods

Some decent signings there although granted County were a Premiership club and therefore could attract a higher class of player than us in the Championship. He took them to 9th, 6th and 7th in the SPL which is respectable along with a cup win. 

There was a few suspect signings in that 3 year spell at County. PAID £100k for Ross Draper in 2017. I really hope he has no plans for reintroducing him to our squad.

Dundee was a complete disaster for him let's face it and he's probably landed on his feet with getting back into the game with us after 3 years out. He'll inherit a reasonable starting point, players with a winning mentality and be at a club with good financial backing. Limitations, yes, in that we're PT and that makes recruitment harder.  Also this was always going to be our hardest leg on the journey; competing against FT clubs, some with bigger budgets.

What positions do we need filled. I think we need the below. If he wants to play with width, which I've heard he like, then we'll need both a left and right winger too. 

GK, LB, CB, AM, FW

Hopefully he moves on Leighton McIntosh to start with, that would endear me to him a bit more..

Could have been worse, could have been Yogi Hughes is what I'll think to myself for now..

On 09/06/2022 at 16:57, CoveRangers1922 said:

Planning application lodged for 2 temporary stands. Says in preparation for the new season which is only 7 weeks away.

https://coverangersfc.com/2022/06/09/club-statement-balmoral-stadium/

Well done with the upgrade and a step in the right direction, nothing worse than standing in the pishing icy rain mid January, it might encourage more fans to turn up given they'll have some shelter.

Personally rate McIntyre as a manager fairly highly , not only did he win us the league cup but kept us up in his first season after Derek adams chucked the first 6 games , his signings were generally pretty good especially Curran and De vita in his first season , and also Alex schalk was a belter of a signing, can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t do well for cove 

In all seriousness I feel that McIntyre will probably do a serviceable job, it's just that I really hope he doesn't. For his sake of course, not Cove's.

Meetings between Cove and Inverness might be interesting, with old mates McIntyre and Dodds going against each other in opposing dugouts for the first time.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

The stat wheel you create is class. I'll be reaching out to you for all the big signings we'll make this summer 🤔. So far not a sniff of a signing. 

I'd be interested to see how Mitch and Harry Milne (sadly left us) fair. Leighton McIntosh would give us, me certainly, a laugh.

Let me know if these seem right or wrong, especially defensively. A lot of the time those figures show how the players played rather than how good they are. These are a constant work in progress and there are ones I've made before which just seem wrong.

Harry Milne

Spoiler

milne.thumb.png.c3c7a66288b169e4719fc5c45cb54ea3.png

Outstanding, no real weaknesses and excels all round.

Mitch Megginson

Spoiler

meggo.thumb.png.3c46ef6c57176822ec3c4c2e98a5a056.png

Great up front and linking play, not much use in the air though.

Leighton McIntosh

Spoiler

mcin.thumb.png.d88b757e45fc6c773ac68bcc943cb075.png

Works hard defensively and high carrying figures due to time on the wing?

Awful in possession considering how strong a team he plays in (well below club average) and creates nothing for team mates.

Clinical when he gets a chance but often picks the wrong option when shooting.