Cove Thread

1 hour ago, Calayrdonia said:

So for away fans, is there a designated area which is covered? Or is it all just open?

Opposite the main stand there are 3 small sheltered coverings, the middle one is the only seated one and for home support.

The far right one is designated for away fans and sometimes there's physical segregation with fencing before it.

The away fans usually get this shelter and behind the goal to the dugout on the other side of the pitch. 

Hopefully before the start of the season there is terracing opposite the main stand and/or behind the goal. There's not a lot of room behind the goal to the perimeter fencing currently it must be said.

2000 would be max capacity at the moment.

Screenshot_20220517-075719.jpg

Screenshot_20220517-075513__01.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Opposite the main stand there are 3 small sheltered coverings, the middle one is the only seated one and for home support.

The far right one is designated for away fans and sometimes there's physical segregation with fencing before it.

The away fans usually get this shelter and behind the goal to the dugout on the other side of the pitch. 

Hopefully before the start of the season there is terracing opposite the main stand and/or behind the goal. There's not a lot of room behind the goal to the perimeter fencing currently it must be said.

Thanks mate, so basically if it’s raining there is just one small shelter bit for away fans then? Then the rest of the away area is just open?

Either way, can’t wait for this away day next season. Brand new stadium to tick off the list, should be good.

Was really shocked that there were no seats for away supporters. Last time Peterhead were there a few of us went through to the game. One of the group can't really stand for long and tried to get a seat. The stand was for home fans only and was probably full. The small seating area opposite was also for home fans and he was told quite plainly that he couldn't sit there despite a good few empty seats during the game.

He ended up spending the second half sitting in the car outside. Poor stuff from Cove and can't see how they get away with it especially now they're at Championship level.

How you could have a new open site like that and design a ‘stadium’ like that is honestly worthy of jail time. Horrendous 

1 hour ago, Calayrdonia said:

Thanks mate, so basically if it’s raining there is just one small shelter bit for away fans then? Then the rest of the away area is just open?

Either way, can’t wait for this away day next season. Brand new stadium to tick off the list, should be good.

Exactly. Needs addressing quick as the "cowshed" only holds 50-70 or thereabout.

Standing is fine and your within touching distance of the players which adds to the occasion and makes you feel closer to the game but there's no elevation or banking so if your 2nd row then viewing angle is diminished

49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How you could have a new open site like that and design a ‘stadium’ like that is honestly worthy of jail time. Horrendous 

Yeah very poor planning but hopefully they are addressing it this summer. Feels like a slightly enhanced Highland League stadium as it is at the moment.

56 minutes ago, blueone said:

Was really shocked that there were no seats for away supporters. Last time Peterhead were there a few of us went through to the game. One of the group can't really stand for long and tried to get a seat. The stand was for home fans only and was probably full. The small seating area opposite was also for home fans and he was told quite plainly that he couldn't sit there despite a good few empty seats during the game.

He ended up spending the second half sitting in the car outside. Poor stuff from Cove and can't see how they get away with it especially now they're at Championship level.

That's a poor show from whoever said that (Cove fan). I stand next to that area and you sometimes see a mix of home and away supporters in that seating area.

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah very poor planning but hopefully they are addressing it this summer. Feels like a slightly enhanced Highland League stadium as it is at the moment.

That's a poor show from whoever said that (Cove fan). I stand next to that area and you sometimes see a mix of home and away supporters in that seating area.

It’s just not really anything, so much space at the main stand side too and the positioning of it and way they’ve set it up has left so little space at the far side. It’s like the back of a sports centre or something just needs a big green fence around the pitch. Feels like a waste. Understand it’ll be to do with costing etc but going to games and the experience at games is the number 1 most important thing for fans and that looks no use at all

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s just not really anything, so much space at the main stand side too and the positioning of it and way they’ve set it up has left so little space at the far side. It’s like the back of a sports centre or something just needs a big green fence around the pitch. Feels like a waste. Understand it’ll be to do with costing etc but going to games and the experience at games is the number 1 most important thing for fans and that looks no use at all

I heard the club have an agreement that the land around the perimeter is available to them for future growth. With a bit of levelling it could be used to accommodate a new stand or larger terracing.

The perimeter around the pitch as it stands today needs expanded imo and you're right the space on the main stand side isn't well thought out.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

10 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I heard the club have an agreement that the land around the perimeter is available to them for future growth. With a bit of levelling it could be used to accommodate a new stand or larger terracing.

The perimeter around the pitch as it stands today needs expanded imo and you're right the space on the main stand side isn't well thought out.

That’s good news then. If they’re able to get a wee bit of terracing and cover behind the goals and some kind of stand at the far side it should be a tidy wee ground 

Not a dig at Cove as they’ve done well and I’m sure plans are afoot to further develop their ground… but I think visiting fans are in for a culture shock when they visit for the first time. I can’t think of a less developed stadium to be in the second tier, or even the third/fourth tiers for that matter. it’s really not much better than Banks o’ Dee’s Spain Park a couple of miles down the hill.

Not only is it very small and basic but it’s also in a terrible location. Any visiting fans who are looking forward to a few pints in the city centre then a leisurely trip to the ground are in for a surprise. I would guess it’ll take at least 30-40 minutes on an infrequent bus service from the city centre on a Saturday afternoon. Once there, there’s nothing in the way of pubs or restaurants anywhere near the ground, apart from a McDonalds and a Starbucks and the bar at the Thistle hotel at a push.

Heaven help us if it’s raining/snowing/blowing a gale as it’s very exposed with minimal cover.

Having said all that - it’s obviously a work in progress and is miles better than Allan Park was. I’m sure even the powers that be at Cove are pleasantly surprised at their rapid progress through the leagues and that they have plans to improve - a roof running the full length of the pitch would probably be adequate at the moment. It also means I have an easy game to get to as I’ve lived in Aberdeen for nearly 40 years, so looking forward to that part at least.

Not a dig at Cove as they’ve done well and I’m sure plans are afoot to further develop their ground… but I think visiting fans are in for a culture shock when they visit for the first time. I can’t think of a less developed stadium to be in the second tier, or even the third/fourth tiers for that matter. it’s really not much better than Banks o’ Dee’s Spain Park a couple of miles down the hill.
Not only is it very small and basic but it’s also in a terrible location. Any visiting fans who are looking forward to a few pints in the city centre then a leisurely trip to the ground are in for a surprise. I would guess it’ll take at least 30-40 minutes on an infrequent bus service from the city centre on a Saturday afternoon. Once there, there’s nothing in the way of pubs or restaurants anywhere near the ground, apart from a McDonalds and a Starbucks and the bar at the Thistle hotel at a push.
Heaven help us if it’s raining/snowing/blowing a gale as it’s very exposed with minimal cover.
Having said all that - it’s obviously a work in progress and is miles better than Allan Park was. I’m sure even the powers that be at Cove are pleasantly surprised at their rapid progress through the leagues and that they have plans to improve - a roof running the full length of the pitch would probably be adequate at the moment. It also means I have an easy game to get to as I’ve lived in Aberdeen for nearly 40 years, so looking forward to that part at least.

Not to take away from the rest of the post but there was what looked like a pub called The Wellington about a 10 minute walk from the ground although we only found this out when we were walking past to meet some pals after the game.

18 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Not to take away from the rest of the post but there was what looked like a pub called The Wellington about a 10 minute walk from the ground although we only found this out when we were walking past to meet some pals after the game.

Yeah, you’re correct, forgot about the Wellington. I would guess it’s a bit more than 10 minutes walk but a very short bus trip.

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Agreed with the location. Not much around it within walking distance so definitely not ideal at all. 

In regards to the ground it needs enhancing. It was never built with the expectation of being in tier 2 within 3 years. A distinct lack of future proofing which was probably cost related at the time. Covered terracing at a minimum is needed to start with if we're not extending the main stand at this point. 

It's much better than Spain Park which has a gym at one side and a railway line at the other. It also has wire fencing  which obscures your view.

Personally I like standing at games and enjoy the proximity to the touchline. The latter It's not going to be viable going forward due to crowd volume.

Looking forward to some Cove vs Arbroath ties I must say