Cove Thread

29 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

You might have to groundshare with them soon, giving the progress you're making. Is the club looking to improve the ground? You'll be hosting some relatively big games next season: Dundee and Arbroath for starters. 

We could take over Pittodrie after Aberdeen spend £75 million on their new dream stadium. I joke, that will never happen. Unfortunately our fan base is still small given we were HL league 3 years ago. Difficult to build up a fan base in that length of time.

Saying that it is growing and will continue providing we establish ourselves. I think this promotion more than the others will resonate around Aberdeen. For so long a one club city but we're edging closer to changing that perception. The gulf in every department is still monumental though. Not saying we couldn't give Aberdeen a very stern test though, did fairly well against Hibs earlier in the season.

Ground improvements are certainly needed and on the agenda but the chairman has said playing squad is first priority.

We could hold about 2000 and clearly we need to be able to accommodate more or else we'll turn away revenue. Plans I've heard are extend the main (only) stand substantially. We really need terracing around the other 3 sides as there is no cover and elevation so viewing angles diminish when it's more than 1 deep around the perimeter.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

34 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We could take over Pittodrie after Aberdeen spend £75 million on their new dream stadium. I joke, that will never happen. Unfortunately our fan base is still small given we were HL league 3 years ago. Difficult to build up a fan base in that length of time.

Saying that it is growing and will continue providing we establish ourselves. I think this promotion more than the others will resonate around Aberdeen. For so long a one club city but we're edging closer to changing that perception. The gulf in every department is still monumental though. Not saying we couldn't give Aberdeen a very stern test though, did fairly well against Hibs earlier in the season.

Ground improvements are certainly needed and on the agenda but the chairman has said playing squad is first priority.

We could hold about 2000 and clearly we need to be able to accommodate more or else we'll turn away revenue. Plans I've heard are extend the main (only) stand substantially. We really need terracing around the other 3 sides as there is no cover and elevation so viewing angles diminish when it's more than 1 deep around the perimeter.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder whether next season will be 'peak Cove' or whether you can continue to progress. If Aberdeen go down, unlikely but possible, that will make things very interesting.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

Thanks for the reply. I wonder whether next season will be 'peak Cove' or whether you can continue to progress. If Aberdeen go down, unlikely but possible, that will make things very interesting.

That's a very interesting and thoughtful point. I've thought about it many a time. We have financial backing that is different to the likes of Gretna so we're not built on sand. I look at the likes of Caley and County and hope that's what we can achieve; that's the aspiration.

County came into the senior leagues in 94/95 and after 6 years got to the 1st Division after a league reorg and after 18 years got to the Premiership.

Caley joined the senior leagues at the same time and took 5 years to reach the 1st Division and 10 years to reach the SPL.

Our rise has to the 2nd tier has been quicker in 3 years but that doesn't necessarily mean we're in a better position to go further. So hard to predict how it wil pan out but the intrigue is part of the enjoyment.

With the introduction of the pyramid the likes of us and Kelty, and others that will follow, will get questioned and our "level" will debated.

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

That's a very interesting and thoughtful point. I've thought about it many a time. We have financial backing that is different to the likes of Gretna so we're not built on sand. I look at the likes of Caley and County and hope that's what we can achieve; that's the aspiration.

County came into the senior leagues in 94/95 and after 6 years got to the 1st Division after a league reorg and after 18 years got to the Premiership.

Caley joined the senior leagues at the same time and took 5 years to reach the 1st Division and 10 years to reach the SPL.

Our rise has to the 2nd tier has been quicker in 3 years but that doesn't necessarily mean we're in a better position to go further. So hard to predict how it wil pan out but the intrigue is part of the enjoyment.

With the introduction of the pyramid the likes of us and Kelty, and others that will follow, will get questioned and our "level" will debated.

I think the thing that annoys people about yourselves and Kelty, is your financial backing. I think that's fine so long as the club isn't solely reliant upon your benefactor. The club needs to be organised so that it can generate its own income. I understand that's already happening to a degree, but that is crucial to avoid becoming the next Gretna.

I will watch your progress with interest next season.

Edited by Mr. Smith

Congratulations to Cove Rangers. Worthy winners.

Next season will be important, as I think the core of this team has served well, but needs to strengthen. Shay Logan and Fyvie being the standouts for me, but we all want a Megginson. Personally I think Hartley is a sound manager, and the progress and governance of the club seems well thought through. The Gretna shouts are easy to make, but the situation isn't going to change. The East Stirlingshires and Berwick Rangers will fall away, and more will follow Cove and Kelty.

At the risk of being cheesy, the forum will be worse off without CoveRangers 1922. Ok, a one-man army leading a charm offensive, but always insightful input.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

I think the thing that annoys people about yourselves and Kelty, is your financial backing. I think that's fine so long as the club isn't solely reliant upon your benefactor. The club needs to be organised so that it can generate its own income. I understand that's already happening to a degree, but that is crucial to avoid becoming the next Gretna.

I will watch your progress with interest next season.

It's understandable. Without the financial backing the rise wouldn't have happened so quickly or at all possibly.

This season we probably had the 3rd biggest budget and managed to secure the title. Our attendances were comparable to everyone else in  the league except Falkirk. if I had to guess about 3rd or 4th highest. Next season there will definitely be teams with bigger budgets and clearly teams with bigger fanbases.  

The rise has been quick no doubt and it takes time to market yourself as a club and business to generate income but that we need to do as  sustainability is key.

All the best in the final few spilt fixtures.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I fully agree let's drop the second part of our name. Probably will result in doubling our home crowd when the Dons are away from home or have no game!

Cheers Resk, hopefully you make it a long to Balmoral next season, not in the League as let's leave that until some point in the future. Perhaps a league cup match. 

Always amused me that Glasgow Rangers were Rangers but Berwick Rangers were Berwick.

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Always amused me that Glasgow Rangers were Rangers but Berwick Rangers were Berwick.

Because 'Glasgow Rangers' are actually 'The Rangers FC'. ;)

On 23/04/2022 at 19:03, Waspie said:

Congratulations Cove, deserving champions. And while Cove don't have too many posters, they do have a very good one in @CoveRangers1922. Enjoy your night! 

I'll echo this.

Thoroughly deserving champions and a top poster in @CoveRangers1922.

Enjoyed the tussle for the most part, and certainly hope we'll be playing each other again next season.

Congratulations to Cove on winning the league on Saturday,some run you guys have been on and deserved winners.Must admit when you had 4 away game's in a row I thought you would have a wee blip you proved me wrong ha ha.

33 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Congratulations Cove on winning the league.

Very well deserved- have a great set up and decent bunch of supporters there that make away supporters welcome.

please don’t hate us though for signing Harry

That is an outstanding signing. There will be a few premiership clubs rueing the missed opportunity. I know there were a few looking at him but probably when it was all too late. Given the rumours you had the PCA sorted a couple of months back.

To think the best wing back outside the Premiership, entering his prime, has been available for a free and the likes of the Dons and others haven't seriously competed for him is crazy to me.

Partick do their business early and credit to them. Dowds and now Harry, who's next!?

Next LWB for Cove then...For me Dean Campbell, who the Killie fans aren't overly impressed with, but out of contract with the Dons and I reckon would do extremely well for us.

Considine is a CB or LB at a push. 

Would be surprised if Strapp wasn't under a PCA already and will stay down in the central belt area. Steeves probably the only L1 LB I'd happily take but won't leave Mo and still has 1 year left I believe.

If we can't find a true LWB then I would rather see us change shape, go 4-4-2 and find wingers. 

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Next LWB for Cove then...For me Dean Campbell, who the Killie fans aren't overly impressed with, but out of contract with the Dons and I reckon would do extremely well for us.

Considine is a CB or LB at a push. 

Would be surprised if Strapp wasn't under a PCA already and will stay down in the central belt area. Steeves probably the only L1 LB I'd happily take but won't leave Mo and still has 1 year left I believe.

If we can't find a true LWB then I would rather see us change shape, go 4-4-2 and find wingers. 

Hands of Andy Steeves ha ha.

I thought Harry Milne would have stayed at Cove to be honest, championship football and all that but must have got a good deal with Thistle.

4 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Hands of Andy Steeves ha ha.

I thought Harry Milne would have stayed at Cove to be honest, championship football and all that but must have got a good deal with Thistle.

He's the only one in L1 I would see us trying to poach but Mo still have a good chance of going up themselves. Been with you for 7 years, about similar length of time Harry was with us coincidentally! I'm sure he will stay with you. He's more a LB than a LWB right?

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He's the only one in L1 I would see us trying to poach but Mo still have a good chance of going up themselves. Been with you for 7 years, about similar length of time Harry was with us coincidentally! I'm sure he will stay with you. He's more a LB than a LWB right?

A think AS is committed to Montrose to be fair and would be shocked if he did leave anytime soon.The year we won the league Steeves and Ballantyne were LWB and RWB up and down wings and very effective.Not so much now he has more defensive duties to do now instead of bombing forward.

11 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll echo this.

Thoroughly deserving champions and a top poster in @CoveRangers1922.

Enjoyed the tussle for the most part, and certainly hope we'll be playing each other again next season.

Thanks Ammo. You have to feel this is Airdrie's time to shine in the playoffs and it would be deserved after the season you've had. The tension will be unbearable in all 4 matches I suspect, as it usually is in the playoffs.

P.S - any suggestions on a LWB would be welcome! Brody would actually be a good fit but I suspect Ian Murray will have first dibs on him if you go up.

On 23/04/2022 at 18:34, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah fair rise. Played Clach almost 3 years ago to the day.

Interesting summer ahead in regards to club structure, recruitment, ground improvement. 

Dons need some competition! Not saying it's coming from us right now clearly as their are miles ahead in most departments but good for the city I feel

You could be in the same league next season! 

Congratulations on a deserved title win. We pushed you close but you were relentless and undeniably the best, most effective and consistent team in the league. Just hope we'll be joining you next season. 

Losing Harry Milne is a massive blow however. 

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

You could be in the same league next season! 

Congratulations on a deserved title win. We pushed you close but you were relentless and undeniably the best, most effective and consistent team in the league. Just hope we'll be joining you next season. 

Losing Harry Milne is a massive blow however.

The bottom 6 of the Premiership could get very very cagey depending on this weekend's results. The Dons could be dragged fully into the mix but I think they'll be safe and pick up a couple of wins. 

I'll be at Links Park on Tuesday to see how you get on. Tension will be unbearable even for a neutral.

P.S - Left back recommendations are very welcome. Brody been impressive since he's come in on loan. I wonder if Ian Murray will go back in for him next season