Cove Thread

35 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah well watch highlights every week and can’t do much more than that.

If Ayr finish in the play offs it could be close... but Dunfermline can be a really good team on their day and coming up against lesser teams and players I think they’ll have too much. 

A think it might be Ayr to be honest.

16 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Ayr are not as good. Watched Dunfermline play us off the park a few weeks ago but we still somehow won 1-0. Just not happened for them but I think their game against Partick showed what like when they click. 

Ryan Dow

Liam Polworth

Graham Dorrans

Stevie Lawless

Dom Thomas 

Kev O’Hara

Is really decent and they should be doing so much better

Also remembering just how awful Morton were last season but sure they still managed to beat Airdrie 5-0 in the final 

43 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Ayr are not as good. Watched Dunfermline play us off the park a few weeks ago but we still somehow won 1-0. Just not happened for them but I think their game against Partick showed what like when they click. 

Ryan Dow

Liam Polworth

Graham Dorrans

Stevie Lawless

Dom Thomas 

Kev O’Hara

Is really decent and they should be doing so much better

Also remembering just how awful Morton were last season but sure they still managed to beat Airdrie 5-0 in the final 

That was after Airdrie had been playing near enough every midweek for a couple of months, occasionally playing Saturday > Tuesday > Thursday > Saturday. We were on a great run but probably peaked with the 3-2 win over Cove in the semi-finals. By the time we reached the final the players were clearly exhausted and we had quite a few key players out injured. Paul Paton went off five minutes into the second leg against Cove, Josh Kerr went off injured at half time and Kyle Connell got a concussion late on in that game. We went into the first leg against Morton without those three starters and then lost Dale Carrick, Scott Walker and Paul McKay to injury during that game. The team for the second leg was an absolute rabble which is why we ended up losing so convincingly but in a normal season those games would have been a lot tighter. 

I agree with you that Dunfermline have some very good players and they looked excellent against Thistle but equally there's a reason why they're second bottom. Airdrie and Montrose are both good teams for this level, you don't go 17 games unbeaten for no reason, and I'd fancy the winner of that game to have a very good chance of winning the final, even if it is Dunfermline. 

3 hours ago, mo83 said:

I'd agree. Think it's more likely that Ayr will finish 9th but you never know and that's what makes the final few games of the season and football in general so enthralling. Ayr defensively look a bit frail, appear more route one than others around them, no wins in 5 and have a big away match this weekend. Lose that, the momentum has well and truly swung 180.

I watched Dunfermline against Morton, Partick and Raith in the last few weeks and they were fairly impressive to be honest. Creating quite a few chances, moving the ball well and making good use of the wide areas. Thomas, Lawless and Polworth looked threatening at times.

Has to be said Morton fell to pieces in the second half and both Partick and Raith were out of form going into the matches. Still good sides though and the latter 2 games still had to be won.

O'Hara did well at Alloa but hasn't set the heather alight with the Pars (yet). He's capable in the Championship but do Dunfermline lack cutting edge up top.

Airdrie are an improved side from last season, have more creativity and transition at speed quicker than last year. They could be coming into the playoffs unbeaten in 20 and without having played a gruelling 2/3 matches every week like last year. 

Think they lost 4-0 over 2 legs against Morton (1-0, 3-0).

Mo on the other hand are a tough to break down. Hard team to face in a playoff as they showed last season by agonisingly losing in injury time of extra time against Morton. Looked certain to be going to pens. Could have been Montrose vs Airdrie final but wasn't.

Fascinating to see what happens. Playoffs are a superb addition in my opinion. Good luck in the premiership playoff, if you do end up in that position.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Every year you read posts in the Championship about how it's the woest standard ever, yet nearly every year fans of Championship clubs come down here and tell others that the 9th placed team will have too much. Sometimes it's right, other times it isn't but I find it mad that a fan of a part time club sitting 2nd in the Championship thinks a full time club from the league below will struggle to compete with the clear dross filling up the Championship. He's given them beating Partick as an example, a Partick side that their own manager described as utter dugmeat last weekend. There's surely been enough examples in recent years of big clubs falling into this league (Dunfermline actually being one of them) for people to be so ignorant of the quality that can come out of League 1. 

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Every year you read posts in the Championship about how it's the woest standard ever, yet nearly every year fans of Championship clubs come down here and tell others that the 9th placed team will have too much. Sometimes it's right, other times it isn't but I find it mad that a fan of a part time club sitting 2nd in the Championship thinks a full time club from the league below will struggle to compete with the clear dross filling up the Championship. He's given them beating Partick as an example, a Partick side that their own manager described as utter dugmeat last weekend. There's surely been enough examples in recent years of big clubs falling into this league (Dunfermline actually being one of them) for people to be so ignorant of the quality that can come out of League 1. 

Yeah I’ve made they posts the last couple of times and the results are as below...

Morton 4-0 Airdrie 

QotS 3-1 Raith - Qots also beat Montrose 6-2 in semi

I’m not ignorant over the standard in League 1. I know it incredibly well. If Dunfermline finish 9th I’m certain it’ll be the same story again, if Ayr finish 9th however I think it’ll be close 

Not sure what us being 2nd in Championship has to do with anything 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah I’ve made they posts the last couple of times and the results are as below...

Morton 4-0 Airdrie 

I’m not ignorant over the standard in League 1. I know it incredibly well. If Dunfermline finish 9th I’m certain it’ll be the same story again, if Ayr finish 9th however I think it’ll be close 

Well if you were right before you must be right again. 

Arbroath being second in that league is relevant because it shows you don't need to have squads full of tremendous individual players to compete with the poorly run full time sides that are stinking it out. If Dunfermline fail to finish above a shite Ayr side that you think could get relegated then so can Dunfermline. I just find it daft folk come down and make these predictions. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Well if you were right before you must be right again. 

Arbroath being second in that league is relevant because it shows you don't need to have squads full of tremendous individual players to compete with the poorly run full time sides that are stinking it out. If Dunfermline fail to finish above a shite Ayr side that you think could get relegated then so can Dunfermline. I just find it daft folk come down and make these predictions. 

I’m pretty sure before our play off game I was hyping yous up too off the results you’d had In the league that year....

And we had by far the best player in the league for 2/3rds of it in Nouble which is why we are where we are we’d be mid table without him. We were also better than St Johnstone and Dundee United when we played them start of the year. 

The start of the season the top 5 were miles ahead of the bottom 5 and looking like very good teams. The second half of the season the top 5 all got worse minus Killie (McInnes and Lafferty) and the bottom 5 all got better and now it is very much a much of a muchness. 

Dunfermline on their day are a good team, nobody has played better than they did against us all season (even though we somehow won 1-0) they would be favourites for me. Ayr are your usual standard kind of team that falls into these play offs, similar to Morton last year. 

Not completely dismissing the L1 team at all here but that Airdrie team is full of familiar faces, so are Montrose. QP are a different story though with FT and they kind of already look like a team that would be scrapping in and around the bottom of the championship even though they’ve not got the results they’d have wanted this year. 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not completely dismissing the L1 team at all here but that Airdrie team is full of familiar faces, so are Montrose. QP are a different story though with FT and they kind of already look like a team that would be scrapping in and around the bottom of the championship even though they’ve not got the results they’d have wanted this year. 

Airdrie are full time. Arbroath were a team of familiar faces, a team that many would look at on paper and not be that impressed, you pissed League 1 and have coasted through your first season in the Championship losing less games than anyone else in the league. Montrose and Airdrie have a core there who know each other very well, quite similar to Arbroath. I think Petrie is the best gaffer in the lower leagues and Murray has previous success in dealing with full time clubs at that level. Anything can happen in these play offs.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Airdrie are full time. Arbroath were a team of familiar faces, a team that many would look at on paper and not be that impressed, you pissed League 1 and have coasted through your first season in the Championship losing less games than anyone else in the league. Montrose and Airdrie have a core there who know each other very well, quite similar to Arbroath. I think Petrie is the best gaffer in the lower leagues and Murray has previous success in dealing with full time clubs at that level. Anything can happen in these play offs.

On paper at the start of the season The Terrace podcasts Craig Telfer thought we’d be pushing to get top 4 and we are hardly that much different from what we were winning League 1.... Nicky Low, Jack Hamilton, Craig Wighton, Liam Henderson, Scott Stewart and James Craigen really are the only additions to our squad since. 

And of course anything can happen in the play offs I was just giving my opinion on who would win them and I stand by that too. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but it wasn’t a diss at L1.

Morton 4-0 Airdrie 

Whilst I lean towards agreeing with you with your view on Dunfermline having too much, the above examples have already been discussed. Airdrie had a ridiculous number of injuries by the time the play offs came round. We had been playing two games a week for a while in the run up to the games. We were dead on our feet. Hopefully won’t be such an issue this year.

QOTS had dobbie who, at the time, was streets ahead of most of the championship nevermind league 1.

Dunfermline have some decent players but there is an argument as to whether any of them are any better than Dylan easton. Time will tell

Article about Draper and Elgin in the P&J today. 

He said: “Any talks will be at the end of the season.

“Cove are looking to get promoted and hopefully they will get over the line this weekend.

“At the same time, here at Elgin, we need to make sure we’re safe as well.

“As soon as the final ball is kicked this season, I am sure I’ll speak to Cove and see what the plans are.”

Surely foot-arse-door will suffice. L1 was a bridge far too far for him. Clearly wouldn't be capable for playing Championship football if we get there. 2 years left on his contract so interesting to see what will happen

3 strong nominees and worthy winners although Dylan Easton will be a tough man to beat this season.

Out of our 3, for me, it's Harry all day long although Mitch could be top league scorer when the season ends and has 9 assists, only 2 behind top spot held be Easton so many will recognise that.

Screenshot_20220420-142910.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

3 strong nominees and worthy winners although Dylan Easton will be a tough man to beat this season.

Out of our 3, for me, it's Harry all day long although Mitch could be top league scorer when the season ends and has 9 assists, only 2 behind top spot held be Easton so many will recognise that.

Screenshot_20220420-142910.jpg

Hard to argue too much with the four nominees. I’m biased and would have McCabe or Fordyce in ahead of McAllister but it’s difficult to argue with his goal return. I’d say it should be between Easton and Milne to win it but as you say, Megginson is a strong contender too.