Cove Thread

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Any reason why Hartley was at the Dundee game the other night other than just looking at one of his opponents for next season? He's recently been talking about wanting to return to F football (are you guys planning on that?) and talking Strachan up quite heavily on the Open Goal podcast. I'm clearly putting 2 + 2 and getting 27 but the light of hope has been lit!

You might well stay up! Just a point off of St Johnstone and then a great chance of winning the playoff or that's how I see it.

Dunno why he might be there other than a jolly unless Strachan is lining him up for a return. His stock value will be pretty high IF we go up and I reckon he'd leave for the right FT job. Chairman's plan was to get to the Championship in 5 years and it would be achieved in 3. He's mentioned getting back to FT as you say.

On Open Goal he said we are likely to be PT next season and then the following season be hybrid; young guys during the day and older guys with decent jobs on Tuesday/Thursday nights.

I saw Cammy Kerr at Balmoral a few Saturday's back, in fact was maybe 6-8 weeks ago. He's a regular for you is he not? Maybe just up to take in a game? Certainly links between us.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Any update on megginson if he’s injured or not ?

I haven't heard anything in the local media or on the Cove supporters facebook page. Will keep an eye out and update if I hear anything.

I'd partner Rory with Ola on Sunday if he is out. Firhill pitch not condusive to free flowing football so target men up front could be the way to go.

2 hours ago, cpsnorth said:

Brilliant idea from Colin, who I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with last mid-week. Great initiative. Airdrie fans have donated in their numbers and raised a hefty amount so far, way beyond the target. I see a few Cove names in the donation list too so credit to them also.

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Brilliant idea from Colin, who I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with last mid-week. Great initiative. Airdrie fans have donated in their numbers and raised a hefty amount so far, way beyond the target. I see a few Cove names in the donation list too so credit to them also.

Also noticed that Shay Logan was among the names who donated as well.

Have just seen that Cove have reduced prices for all remaining games this season, which is a great gesture to the fans, however, it begs the question. How the hell can your team run fiscally? You're obviously making a huge loss on an expensive squad and small gates. Is there some kind of Brookes Mileson bankrolling character on the scene?

9 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Have just seen that Cove have reduced prices for all remaining games this season, which is a great gesture to the fans, however, it begs the question. How the hell can your team run fiscally? You're obviously making a huge loss on an expensive squad and small gates. Is there some kind of Brookes Mileson bankrolling character on the scene?

I saw that. They've reduced the price per adult ticket by £4 and even more for a concession which is a very good gesture. Our attendances have been about 600-850 this season so clearly not a massive source of revenue. Corporate sold out every game but still won't pay for costs.

We must be one of the higher payers in this league but I doubt if we're much higher than the likes of Airdrie and likely less than QP and Falkirk. We have a fairly small squad.

Unsure where the money is coming from exactly. It's not a single bankrolling character as far as I can tell but more a consortium of sponsors/funders who are either directly or indirectly related to the Oil and Gas industry. The first thing you see at Balmoral is all the sponsorship boards surrounding the pitch.

Club will need to attract more fans ,more money and balance the books at some stage in the future.

36 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Harry Milne linked with Aberdeen I see

I've heard that in the Dons thread. Seen it mentioned anywhere else. Keen to see an articles or more trusted sources.

There was a rumour about Partick but knowing him indirectly through his sister and brother-in-law it was a strange potential move.

I could see him going to Aberdeen or possibly another premiership club. Harry isn't desperate to leave or doesn't have a burning desire to go to any club just to be FT or for another couple hundred quid a week 

Just now, mo83 said:

He is good but he is not Premiership level in my opinion.

They'll likely loan him to a championship side though and see how he gets on there, knowing he's their player if he does well and continues to progress. 

5 minutes ago, mo83 said:

He is good but he is not Premiership level in my opinion.

He's been outstanding since the turn of the year and always a standout for us. In a LWB role he's excelling. He stood out massively at Easter Road. I think he's good enough for the Premiership. The only player we have that I would say that about 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

They'll likely loan him to a championship side though and see how he gets on there, knowing he's their player if he does well and continues to progress. 

Dons have Johnny Hayes at LB at the moment who is quality but Jack McKenzie isn't close to Harry's level. Johnny is naturally more a LW than LB

I really hope he doesn't go

43 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Harry Milne linked with Aberdeen I see

That was mentioned on terrace Patreon that what other club he could go to that’s local but if he can get a 3 year deal at FT then can’t see why he wouldn’t take it and possibly be back on loan next season to you guys in the championship.

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

That was mentioned on terrace Patreon that what other club he could go to that’s local but if he can get a 3 year deal at FT then can’t see why he wouldn’t take it and possibly be back on loan next season to you guys in the championship.

Thanks for the source. Aberdeen would be a more likely move knowing Harry indirectly. It would be a progressive move, especially on a multi year deal and no Cove fan would want the club to stop him. If he was instantly loaned back that would sweetened the deal.

Still hope we can offer him a deal that keeps him with us.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Dons have Johnny Hayes at LB at the moment who is quality but Jack McKenzie isn't close to Harry's level. Johnny is naturally more a LW than LB

I really hope he doesn't go

Hayes is not Goodwin's player though and must be coming to the end of his career anyway, at 34. 

17 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Hayes is not Goodwin's player though and must be coming to the end of his career anyway, at 34. 

Yeah he's 35 in the summer and like you say not a Goodwin player. I still rate Hayes. Still got pace and looks adept in the premiership.

Can see why Aberdeen would be interested in Harry. He's a different level to young Jack MacKenzie who has struggled at times.

Considine offered a six figure 1 year contract at Aberdeen and a pathway into youth coaching but counter offered, asked for a 2 year deal and ultimately shown the door. Goodwin couldn't guarantee him first team football next season.

We might be able to do the latter but on a fraction of the wages. 

Doubt he's coming our way unless Deeside Cleaners are giving him a part time job on the side to make up his £100k a year he turned down at the Dons

Thought for some time Milne could play at a higher level.  Hibs game will have convinced a few more.

Looks a no brainer for the Dons.  Full time football would surely improve the kid providing he was getting regular first team games.

What is his contract situation?