Cove Thread

11 in 11 including the SPFL Trust games. You can see the confidence oozing from him. Seems very composed, appears to have more time in tight situations and looks like he's going to take every opportunity. Fair play. Mitch's first goal in 6 games was good to see.

Today's overall performance was very poor for the first 70 minutes. Lots of miss placed passes and lack of rhythm. Masson and particularly Ola Adeyemo (played RW) changed the game. Latter, who didn't come with the best reviews from EF fans, looked pacey, powerful and effective. 

The difference between Ola/Masson and Leighton/Leitch was night and day. Former two look L2 calibre. We've struggled for width recently it must be said.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Vigurs backing Draper in the P&J. If Draper gets any game time for Cove we're going in the wrong direction. 

Vigurs has a lot to prove for me. He's just too slow and deep. Yes can pick a decent pass at times but he's frustrating as hell to watch.

I'd like to see Scully and Yule (both have engines) in CM. Latter would excel there but never gets the chance. Masson LW and Ola RW

Fyvie has been way off it last 2/3 games. Think he'll lose his starting place to Finn until Jan.

Screenshot_20211015-133927.jpg

On 15/10/2021 at 16:27, CoveRangers1922 said:

Vigurs backing Draper in the P&J. If Draper gets any game time for Cove we're going in the wrong direction. 

Vigurs has a lot to prove for me. He's just too slow and deep. Yes can pick a decent pass at times but he's frustrating as hell to watch.

I'd like to see Scully and Yule (both have engines) in CM. Latter would excel there but never gets the chance. Masson LW and Ola RW

Fyvie has been way off it last 2/3 games. Think he'll lose his starting place to Finn until Jan.

Screenshot_20211015-133927.jpg

Well today's performance was uninspiring. As I've said many times before, and is clear to everyone, the midfield is disjointed, too slow and too deep.

Fyvie and Vigurs partnership doesn't work. We need legs and energy in the engine room not a quarterback and a seriously underperforming Fyvie. What has happened to Fyvie?, Used to be able to dictate the tempo and look composed on the ball. Last 3 or 4 games he's been a shadow of himself.

Lacking width, Leitch is a slightly better Broque but that doesn't say much, and with CM's to distant from attackers it makes it difficult to mount attacks.

Fair play to East Fife who scored two wonder goals through Connell and Mercer, both were unstoppable. 

Reality check today. Last 3 league games we have been poor and lucky to win each one in all fairness. 

Stat 1 : 8 games in a row without a first half goal for us.

Stat 2: Mitch has only scored in 2 out of 10 league games.

Moment of reflection

Ola looked promising against Albion when he came on but on Saturday he looked "raw". Missed placed passes, not overly composed but did hold the ball up well at times. Bull in a China comes to mind. Certainly no danger of nabbing Rory or Mitch's place.

Interested to see more but I doubt he's capable of making an impact in L1 and doesn't have the quality imo to propel us towards winning the league. Could maybe get game time at RW but only if we play Yule in the middle and drop Leitch who is weak and only mildly better than Broque.

We had the whole summer to look for a 3rd striker and could have enquired our HL neighbors, Fraserburgh, about  Scott Barbour or gone for Russell McLean, Salim Koudissa or Michael Ruth. 

Or we could have used the loan market to get Kyle Connell or someone of his ilk.

Our use of the loan market was appalling. 1 in and it's a defensive CM, last thing we needed. Connor Smith, who we had last season, an AM is what we were crying out for. Now on loan at our rivals QP.

Midfield is a MESS.

Shame because our best back 4 and our 2 strikers are good enough to challenge/win the league. Hartley can't see the CM issue. Vigurs, never been subbed, is someone I'd bench right away. The thought of seeing him stroll around the outside of our box pointing for the next 2 and half years grates on me.

Any Cove fans think Scully and Yule at CM would be the best partnership? I do, granted they'd score no more than a couple of goals between them in a season  @JamesMunro

On 19/10/2021 at 13:21, CoveRangers1922 said:

Moment of reflection

Ola looked promising against Albion when he came on but on Saturday he looked "raw". Missed placed passes, not overly composed but did hold the ball up well at times. Bull in a China comes to mind. Certainly no danger of nabbing Rory or Mitch's place.

Interested to see more but I doubt he's capable of making an impact in L1 and doesn't have the quality imo to propel us towards winning the league. Could maybe get game time at RW but only if we play Yule in the middle and drop Leitch who is weak and only mildly better than Broque.

We had the whole summer to look for a 3rd striker and could have enquired our HL neighbors, Fraserburgh, about  Scott Barbour or gone for Russell McLean, Salim Koudissa or Michael Ruth. 

Or we could have used the loan market to get Kyle Connell or someone of his ilk.

Our use of the loan market was appalling. 1 in and it's a defensive CM, last thing we needed. Connor Smith, who we had last season, an AM is what we were crying out for. Now on loan at our rivals QP.

Midfield is a MESS.

Shame because our best back 4 and our 2 strikers are good enough to challenge/win the league. Hartley can't see the CM issue. Vigurs, never been subbed, is someone I'd bench right away. The thought of seeing him stroll around the outside of our box pointing for the next 2 and half years grates on me.

Any Cove fans think Scully and Yule at CM would be the best partnership? I do, granted they'd score no more than a couple of goals between them in a season  @JamesMunro

I’d definitely like to see that, but I also worry with who we’d put out on wings? Masson and Ola? Robertson?

Has Jevan Anderson even put on a Cove shirt yet? 

wasn’t at the game today but have heard we played really well 

On 23/10/2021 at 18:11, JamesMunro said:

I’d definitely like to see that, but I also worry with who we’d put out on wings? Masson and Ola? Robertson?

Has Jevan Anderson even put on a Cove shirt yet? 

wasn’t at the game today but have heard we played really well 

Masson on the left who partners well with Harry, who we need fit and to stay fit. He's a huge threat down the left side and adds really energy and pace to our side. Right wing is a weakness if we play Yule in the middle. Leitch isn't strong enough and Ola who knows. I doubt he's the answer.

Jevan played in the 2-1 Clyde loss and looked out of his depth. Doubt we'll see much of him!

I thought we were poor, especially the first half. The same lethargic, slow tempo stuff and midfield distant from the two up top.

We played a diamond of Vigurs, Fyvie, Finn and Masson.

Clyde didn't threaten us overly. Next week will be interesting, can we step it up when we have to and go top?

Mitch 7 straight leagues without a goal. That run surely has to end soon as he's far superior than that.

9 hours ago, bobthespider said:

What is the tv stream like provided by cove . Is it worth getting or do they use pixellot .

The stream is pixellot as far as I know. It's not bad and the commentary via Scott Davie is impartial and normally a good standard.

It's better than nothing but nothing!

49 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

So @CoveRangers1922, how would we say Finlay Robertson's first first starts have gone?

He's done alright so far. We really need an AM and it's clear he's not that. He did put in a wonderful cross for Mitch's header (our 2nd goal on Saturday). 

He's been forced to play almost right wing the last couple of games or extreme right mid. I expect Blair Yule, returning from a slight knock, to take his place and Finn to drop to the bench. We have Fyvie and Vigurs in CM. Latter shouldn't start but I've have Scully over Finn in the middle.

Should develop into a decent player. Not sure I see him ready for the prem yet but only seen him 4 or 5 times.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Katboy said:

Q.O.S fan here, looking ahead to the Scottish Cup game.  Can any of you guys recommend any decent bars in close proximity to the ground (or is there a bar at the ground)?

Our Fanzone, within the ground, is probably the best shout. No real pub or one with any atmosphere near the ground unfortunately.

21 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Our Fanzone, within the ground, is probably the best shout. No real pub or one with any atmosphere near the ground unfortunately.

Thanks for the info!  I take it the Fanzone serves alcohol, and would they be able to accomodate a full coach load?

Edited by Katboy

17 hours ago, Katboy said:

Thanks for the info!  I take it the Fanzone serves alcohol, and would they be able to accomodate a full coach load?

Yeah they do sell alcohol, can vouch for that!

Sure there will be space for all QoS fans albeit standing rather than sitting.

Good luck at Gayfield today.

• 2 weeks later...

Cove start like below. Logan, Masson and McAllister all start on the bench and Ryan Strachan doesn't make the squad.

4 regular starters missing. Scott Ross is an able RB but Jevan Anderson is a big worry in central defence. Would never normally get a game.

Leighton McIntosh gets a rare start and we all know his supply is dreadful.

Was really hopeful going into the game but 4 regulars missing now not so much. Will be an interesting tie 🥶

Screenshot_20211127-141718.jpg

Screenshot_20211127-142003.jpg

Poor Cove performance today, well below our usual standard. We had the majority of the chances but never got the passing game going and found ourselves down twice when we had the better of the game.  

I expected a lot more from QotS being a championship side. There are a few league 1 sides who could easily turn over that team.

Great vocal support from their loyal followers which made for a decent atmosphere.

Heard their first goal wasn't over the line but couldn't see it from where I was and regardless it stood.

Unwanted replay but for me personally it'll be another ground chalked off the list 

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Poor Cove performance today, well below our usual standard. We had the majority of the chances but never got the passing game going and found ourselves down twice when we had the better of the game.  

I expected a lot more from QotS being a championship side. There are a few league 1 sides who could easily turn over that team.

Great vocal support from their loyal followers which made for a decent atmosphere.

Heard their first goal wasn't over the line but couldn't see it from where I was and regardless it stood.

Unwanted replay but for me personally it'll be another ground chalked off the list 

Took in this game today as Aberdeen ain't playing until tomorrow and couldn't believe that decision from the linesman. How he could tell from where he was I have no idea.

Vigurs' free kick was a cracker but I expected much more from him considering the career he has had.

I rarely see Cove but every time I do McIntosh looks a poor player, why does he get a game ahead of McAllister?

14 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Took in this game today as Aberdeen ain't playing until tomorrow and couldn't believe that decision from the linesman. How he could tell from where he was I have no idea.

Vigurs' free kick was a cracker but I expected much more from him considering the career he has had.

I rarely see Cove but every time I do McIntosh looks a poor player, why does he get a game ahead of McAllister?

Fair play coming out to Balmoral today in the artic conditions!

A bit of injustice maybe with their first goal. Didn't think they threaten us much at the back to be honest but somehow we were behind twice.

Vigurs has been a bit better the last 3/4 matches but he shouldn't be a nailed on starter for me. He's getting a bit too much game time due to his past. He's slow, prone to losing the ball in dangerous areas and his number of assists and goals has been low. I would drop him / sub him now and again and play Scully and Fyvie in CM.

Leighton never gets a start usually. This season it's been Rory and Mitch up top and Leighton getting the odd 5-10 minute cameo. He has no redeeming qualities apart from blindly running the channels.

You’ll enjoy Palmerston. It’s a lovely ground. Was always one of my favourites when we were in the big boy leagues. Even though we took a fair few batterings there.