Cove Thread

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

MCKENZIE STARTS!!! 🙏

Cove vs Stenny in the 2nd round of the Challenge cup. 40 minutes until kickoff and the ground is almost empty, can't be more than 40 spectators at present.

Cove have no recognised left back as Harry Milne misses out for a 2nd straight game but have picked a strong XI, one that I'm hopeful can turn in a strong performance.

Lineup is as below.

Feel much more confident we have am accomplished keeper. Masson starts for the first time since his injury at Ibrox.

Fyvie and Scully in CM is probably our best partnership and Leighton starting ahead of Leitch is a plus for me.

Think Yule will play LB as I can't see Neill or Ross playing there. 

@Francesc Fabregas - you at the game or watching online?

Screenshot_20210904-141941.jpg

I think I might get the tail end of the first half - I'm getting my beard trimmed this afternoon and 3pm was the only slot the barber had available.

I don't expect us to win the match but I do want to see something positive for the Warriors. The good news is Ryan Marshall has been dropped from today's starting XI, which improves our chances tenfold.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think I might get the tail end of the first half - I'm getting my beard trimmed this afternoon and 3pm was the only slot the barber had available.

I don't expect us to win the match but I do want to see something positive for the Warriors. The good news is Ryan Marshall has been dropped from today's starting XI, which improves our chances tenfold.

Fairly entertaining and open first half with both teams creating chances. Unfortunately our two clear cut ones fell to Leighton McIntosh which never usually ends well.

Ross Forbes wand of a left foot hit the bar from a free kick and Stenny also hit the post early on.

Must be a few goals in this game I feel. Stenny look composed in their play and if they target Morgyn Neill one on one they'll continue to get joy.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Fairly entertaining and open first half with both teams creating chances. Unfortunately our two clear cut ones fell to Leighton McIntosh which never usually ends well.

Ross Forbes wand of a left foot hit the bar from a free kick and Stenny also hit the post early on.

Must be a few goals in this game I feel. Stenny look composed in their play and if they target Morgyn Neill one on one they'll continue to get joy.

Well a goalless draw which I didn't see coming at half time. Cove looked more on top second half and created a few chances but tbh we struggled in the forward areas. Credit to the Warriors who looked very competent at the back and a threat going forward.

Good to see McKenzie play, I felt inner peace and far more calm than having the bombscare that is Gourlay. As thought McKenzie in goals and our first clean sheet in 10. Gourlay should remain on the bench 🤞

Missed Milne and Strachan but 100% did not miss Vigurs.

I thought from midfield to attack we were a bit slow and the link up play wasn't there. Stenny defended well it must be said.

Montrose next week should be a cracking game.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Is their a bar at the ground or where is the nearest place for a refreshment? 

Should be a cracker next week indeed looking forward to it, hopefully we can bring a striker in on loan by that time aswell.

46 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Is their a bar at the ground or where is the nearest place for a refreshment? 

Should be a cracker next week indeed looking forward to it, hopefully we can bring a striker in on loan by that time aswell.

The fanzone (our hut with a bar in it) is still closed sadly. The Wellington is about 1 mile away from the ground - 10/15 minute walk. Balmoral isn't best placed for good pubs unfortunately. 

Will be a very competitive match I'm sure. Hope we have our best XI available, would be the first time in 11 games. We too are due in one or two loans with one of them being a striker.

I'm interested to see who Montrose will take in. Last season Ballantyne and Mochrie were very good bits of business. Blair Lyons I rate. SP admirably has kept his squad and doesn't look to make wholesale changes. Best manager in the league without doubt.

8 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

The fanzone (our hut with a bar in it) is still closed sadly. The Wellington is about 1 mile away from the ground - 10/15 minute walk. Balmoral isn't best placed for good pubs unfortunately. 

Will be a very competitive match I'm sure. Hope we have our best XI available, would be the first time in 11 games. We too are due in one or two loans with one of them being a striker.

I'm interested to see who Montrose will take in. Last season Ballantyne and Mochrie were very good bits of business. Blair Lyons I rate. SP admirably has kept his squad and doesn't look to make wholesale changes. Best manager in the league without doubt.

Will keep the Wellington in mind...Thanks.Should be a good game indeed would say you have the best attacking options in the league for sure everyone would love a Megginson in their team.

As for us getting a striker in on loan not heard to much tbh..Ruth been mentioned but not sure if it will happen.Sp is a great manager very lucky to have him at the club same with Ross Campbell he is highly rated aswell.

20 hours ago, mo83 said:

Will keep the Wellington in mind...Thanks.Should be a good game indeed would say you have the best attacking options in the league for sure everyone would love a Megginson in their team.

As for us getting a striker in on loan not heard to much tbh..Ruth been mentioned but not sure if it will happen.Sp is a great manager very lucky to have him at the club same with Ross Campbell he is highly rated aswell.

Mitch's goal record is outstanding and he's a match winner.

The Rory we have, sadly is not the one in his prime at Peterhead and that is all to clear to see. Age is catching up with him. Mitch makes him look good at times. He's scored a few important goals for us but he's been waning for a while and we need to take in someone to replace him. It should have been our priority signing in the summer but in the end we took in a GK, 3 midfielders and 3 defenders. 5 out 7 of them are useless. A mistake SP wouldn't make!

Rory as an impact sub or third choice striker would be ideal. We have Leighton McIntosh but he's not good enough for mid-top of L1.

As a duo Mitch and Rory I think would still be almost near the top of L1's best strike force.

Ruth must come out on loan but to who? I hear rumours of Cove, Falkirk and Montrose. He's ex-QP so that wouldn't surprise me either. Least Montrose or Cove he'd still get to train with the Dons.

We haven't looked at the races yet and right now imo are no better than we were last year. 

12 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Can you still pay at the gate on Saturday for the game? A noticed their was a Tweet out saying to buy a ticket beforehand but a take it you can still just pay on the day too?

I think the ticket office in the ground is open until 14:55 on matchday and you can buy a ticket there. They should just allow PATG to avoid the faff and confusion!

Still no traction on any loan signings for both clubs and Ruth gone to Falkirk. 

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I think the ticket office in the ground is open until 14:55 on matchday and you can buy a ticket there. They should just allow PATG to avoid the faff and confusion!

Still no traction on any loan signings for both clubs and Ruth gone to Falkirk. 

Cheers!

Aye still no striker in on loan which is worrying a bit just have to wait and see.

Hartley review of the game in the Evening Express. Echoes my and most Cove fans thoughts that Fyvie's challenge is careless.

Agree with him that first half we created decent chances. Thought first half was the better half offensively for both sides.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/cove-rangers-fc/cove-rangers-boss-paul-hartley-unhappy-with-blair-yule-red-card-in-montrose-draw/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&amp&__twitter_impression=true

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

In on a 3 year deal, out to Elgin on loan after a few months. Not good enough for Cove or L1. 

Screenshot_20210930-214651.jpg

Really did think that this was an impressive signing at the time when it was announced. So much so that I placed you lot on to win the league shortly after.

Well aware that he was passed his best but this is an impressive fall.

26 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Really did think that this was an impressive signing at the time when it was announced. So much so that I placed you lot on to win the league shortly after.

Well aware that he was passed his best but this is an impressive fall.

It did look a promising double signing; 2 players (Vigurs and Draper) who have loads of prem and championship experience dropping down to L1, however it was apparent after the first game I saw him against Stirling Albion he was immobile and worse than what we had. @TheScarf called it with Draper being past it and Vigurs too similar to Fyvie in some respects. 

To be honest Vigurs hasn't set the heather alight either, he's done ok but doesn't massively standout in L1. He's a "quarterback" and has a decent delivery but fades out of games for long periods / loses possession in dangerous parts of the pitch. We need a box-to-box attacking centre mid to play alongside Fyvie not to aging guys at the end of their career without being too harsh.

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I can almost see it happening..I'm trying to fathom how we still have him at Cove in 2.5 years time.

Yeah he'll be nearly 36 by then ffs.

17 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It did look a promising double signing; 2 players (Vigurs and Draper) who have loads of prem and championship experience dropping down to L1, however it was apparent after the first game I saw him against Stirling Albion he was immobile and worse than what we had. @TheScarf called it with Draper being past it and Vigurs too similar to Fyvie in some respects. 

To be honest Vigurs hasn't set the heather alight either, he's done ok but doesn't massively standout in L1. He's a "quarterback" and has a decent delivery but fades out of games for long periods / loses possession in dangerous parts of the pitch. We need a box-to-box attacking centre mid to play alongside Fyvie not to aging guys at the end of their career without being too harsh.

Does Blair Yule play much these days? Whenever I've seen him, going back about 6 years, he's looked superb and perfectly capable of playing in midfield at this level or higher. I was surprised when he played right back against us in League 2.

37 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Does Blair Yule play much these days? Whenever I've seen him, going back about 6 years, he's looked superb and perfectly capable of playing in midfield at this level or higher. I was surprised when he played right back against us in League 2.

Blair is one of the first names on the team sheet. He's got a great engine & pace, gets box to box and is defensively sound. I feel for Blair as in L2 he played a lot at RB and last season was played RW but I think him and Fyvie would be our best central midfield pairing.