Cove Thread

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'd imagine that's just legal speak for they'll be written off in the long term.

This is one of the criticisms I have of the pyramid. Cove is possibly an exception because of its proximity to Aberdeen. I've often heard "we have too many football clubs for our population compared to England." It's true there is a limit to how many clubs Scottish football can competitively sustain.

So if these clubs begin to dominate the pyramid and crowd out of the market the teams who are relatively sustainable, and then say another financial crisis blindsides everyone. We're going to see a few more Gretna's and noone to replace them meaning an overall weakening of the game in Scotland.

Yeah we're far better off giving 500k of government cash to part time clubs who have three figure average gates.

13 hours ago, starryfish said:

I'd imagine those figures would be similar for some of the top spending teams in the Highland League, like Brora and now Rothes, soft loans that will never be repaid.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Broque on his way out on a season long loan. Can we ship Gourlay and Draper out too 🤔. Must be a HL/LL side willing to take a chance.

Think about how bad they'll be in another year. Draper at least. Gourlay's still young enough to come good somwhere.

Edited by LeodhasXD

26 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Think about how bad they'll be in another year. Draper at least. Gourlay's still young enough to come good somwhere.

You're right Draper now is awful, in a year will be completely immobile. We have him on a 3 year deal 😬. Saving grace is I don't think he'll get much game time with Fyvie, Vigurs and Scully in the middle.

Gourlay is only 22. He's got a lot of time to improve, might need it!

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Derek Soutar our new goalkeeping coach,who has a previous relationship with Gourlay it turns out, has been quoted in the local paper today saying Gourlay has been in good form. He and I must have different standards. Hate to think what his bad form is like.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/cove-rangers/3415999/derek-soutar-grasping-chance-to-be-part-of-cove-rangers-spfl-journey/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&amp&__twitter_impression=true

Darren Young at Balmoral was telling his strikers to target Gourlay. Sure other managers are doing the same. Clear for all to see he's a weakeness. Recent Cove poll put Ray Charles ahead of Gourlay.

I close my eyes in fear of what's going to happen next whenever the ball goes near him and I think he does the same to be honest!

Terrible management selecting Gourlay over McKenzie. Latter I don't see a way into the team.

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Derek Soutar our new goalkeeping coach,who has a previous relationship with Gourlay it turns out, has been quoted in the local paper today saying Gourlay has been in good form. He and I must have different standards. Hate to think what his bad form is like.

Perhaps Soutar has been training Gourlay up by showing him videos of his own performance between the sticks for the Dons at Hampden in 2008...  

[Shudder]

7 minutes ago, resk said:

Perhaps Soutar has been training Gourlay up by showing him videos of his own performance between the sticks for the Dons at Hampden in 2008...  

[Shudder]

Was that the day that the Dons conceded 4 to QoS in the semis? Had one foot in the final. Surely Soutar and Hartley know between themselves that Gourlay is a bombscare.

Any more young Dons get loaned out before Window closes you reckon? Saw Luke Turner is away for the season. Ruth perhaps now Samuel is in? Not sure if he'd be what we need alongside Mitch.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was that the day that the Dons conceded 4 to QoS in the semis? Had one foot in the final. Surely Soutar and Hartley know between themselves that Gourlay is a bombscare.

Any more young Dons get loaned out before Window closes you reckon? Saw Luke Turner is away for the season. Ruth perhaps now Samuel is in? Not sure if he'd be what we need alongside Mitch.

It was.  Soutar was in nets for us after Tangoman in his infinite wisdom had benched Clangers.  Horrific day.  

I don't really have much of an angle on the young Dons I'm afraid.  Looking at Ruth's record on loan elsewhere, I agree it's difficult to see him bringing much to Cove up front.  

Piss poor performance today. Yes key players out and that meant our dross replacements started. 

Hartley brought in "experience" to toughen us up and stop conceding soft goals and actually we're FAR more prone to it than ever before. 2-0 down from nothing and it was an uphill battle we never looked likely to come back from. 

Severely lacking a creative number 10 and pace in the middle of park.

Mitch was getting dragged out wide and deep. He missed a golden chance in the last 5 minutes from no more than 6 yards with no pressure, could have got a perhaps deserving point but sadly not to be.  

Hartley interview. Looks dejected after yet another horror show at the back. 

https://youtu.be/mBP5BFd8jv0

Our best XI are a match for any in this league but another season whereby our depth isn't nearly good enough and that comes down to his poor recruitment.

We have September to bring in some loans and that will make or break our season. If they are astute and targeted for what we need then we could push towards the top otherwise we'll be floating around the lower end of the playoff spots and probably cut adrift from the top 1 or 2

Leitch (Broque v2)

Jevan Anderson

Morgyn Neill

Ross Draper

Kyle Gourlay

Above 5 are all terrible signings made this summer who are relegation end of L1 players. I'm already completely disinterested in all of them.

Throw in Leighton who hasn't exactly set the heather alight makes 6 poor choices / subs and you can't have that baggage and expect to be a title threat.

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hartley interview. Looks dejected after yet another horror show at the back. 

https://youtu.be/mBP5BFd8jv0

Our best XI are a match for any in this league but another season whereby our depth isn't nearly good enough and that comes down to his poor recruitment.

We have September to bring in some loans and that will make or break our season. If they are astute and targeted for what we need then we could push towards the top otherwise we'll be floating around the lower end of the playoff spots and probably cut adrift from the top 1 or 2

Leitch (Broque v2)

Jevan Anderson

Morgyn Neill

Ross Draper

Kyle Gourlay

Above 5 are all terrible signings made this summer who are relegation end of L1 players. I'm already completely disinterested in all of them.

Throw in Leighton who hasn't exactly set the heather alight makes 6 poor choices / subs and you can't have that baggage and expect to be a title threat.

The problem with a couple of those signings is they are on 3 year deals..Those players aint going anywhere. Was really impressed with Cove last season. But signings have been strange so far..all the best for this season.

9 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

The problem with a couple of those signings is they are on 3 year deals..Those players aint going anywhere. Was really impressed with Cove last season. But signings have been strange so far..all the best for this season.

Exactly, Draper and Neill both 3 year deals and Gourlay and Leitch 2 year deals. Jevan is 1 year with option of a further 1 year.

We still have all our players from last year so our first and best XI is still strong but it's fielding them consistently that seems to be the problem (pandemic not helping but affecting all clubs).

Vigurs and Shay Logan should be decent signings / additions to what we have already.

Issue is poor recruitment and therefore poor depth again. Partick last season, particularly near the end had very good depth and it showed.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I've seen twice in the last week Aberdeen's Twitter calling the city a 'one team city'. Quite disrespectful IMO.

Yeah that's fairly disrespectful imo too. Perhaps if we ever got to the Championship they might change their tune.

Btw nice 4 wins on the bounce along with 4 clean sheets 👌

Interview with Morgyn Neil ahead of this week's cup tie with Stenny. Fair play Morgyn openly admitting he's been guilty for some of the soft goals we've conceded. Not just him though.

He also states our ever changing lineup, especially our back four due to COVID and squad illness, has hindered performances.

Unfortunately for him as soon as we have our best 4 defenders available he'll be firmly benched. Will play this weekend as I expect Harry and/or Shay to both miss out again.

Will McKenzie get a token start!? If so our clean sheet chances double.

https://coverangersfc.com/2021/09/03/morgyn-looks-ahead-to-stenny-test/

MCKENZIE STARTS!!! 🙏

Cove vs Stenny in the 2nd round of the Challenge cup. 40 minutes until kickoff and the ground is almost empty, can't be more than 40 spectators at present.

Cove have no recognised left back as Harry Milne misses out for a 2nd straight game but have picked a strong XI, one that I'm hopeful can turn in a strong performance.

Lineup is as below.

Feel much more confident we have am accomplished keeper. Masson starts for the first time since his injury at Ibrox.

Fyvie and Scully in CM is probably our best partnership and Leighton starting ahead of Leitch is a plus for me.

Think Yule will play LB as I can't see Neill or Ross playing there. 

@Francesc Fabregas - you at the game or watching online?

Screenshot_20210904-141941.jpg