Cove Thread

No new signings so far this week. There was rumour of Mark Reynolds and Iain Vigurs but nothing has materialised. To be honest I'm not massively keen on either but an experienced CB would help, just one with some pace too! We need to target our signings where we need strengthening

I hope Hartley is trying his best to bring in another quality striker. @JamesMunro you of the opinion we need another striker if we want to challenge for automatic promotion? For me it's key and if we don't recruit well here we'll end up over relying on Mitch for goals. Sure Masson will get a few but we know there aren't many others who will get more than a couple each over a full season. Another striker who can give us 10+ goals and link up with Mitch will change the whole dynamic.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 17/06/2021 at 23:30, CoveRangers1922 said:

No new signings so far this week. There was rumour of Mark Reynolds and Iain Vigurs but nothing has materialised. To be honest I'm not massively keen on either but an experienced CB would help, just one with some pace too! We need to target our signings where we need strengthening

I hope Hartley is trying his best to bring in another quality striker. @JamesMunro you of the opinion we need another striker if we want to challenge for automatic promotion? For me it's key and if we don't recruit well here we'll end up over relying on Mitch for goals. Sure Masson will get a few but we know there aren't many others who will get more than a couple each over a full season. Another striker who can give us 10+ goals and link up with Mitch will change the whole dynamic.

Sorry just noticed this, but yeah definitely think we need a quality striker in case Mitch gets injured. But also think Vigurs/Draper will add goals which is something we missed when Masson/Milne got injured 

Finally some good signings though! 
Perhaps need another strong centre back and forward and I’d be feeling confident of a great season 

3 hours ago, JamesMunro said:

Sorry just noticed this, but yeah definitely think we need a quality striker in case Mitch gets injured. But also think Vigurs/Draper will add goals which is something we missed when Masson/Milne got injured 

Finally some good signings though! 
Perhaps need another strong centre back and forward and I’d be feeling confident of a great season 

Time to reflect I think Vigurs is a good addition;  his experience, aggression and supposedly he can pick a forward pass. He will chip in with a few goals too.

Not seen much of Draper but do vaguely remember him playing for ICT when they had a great squad and won the Scottish cup in 2015.

How do you see us lining up in midfield, who would you leave out?

I'd go for the below if we play 4-4-2 and add in Scully or Draper if we go 4-5-1

Masson Fyvie Vigurs Yule

Strange to think we'd sign Draper to be a bit part player but might turn out that way. Like I said I don't know much about Draper and a fit Draper might be an asset at this level.

That middle duo would be great to watch. Never would I leave out Blair.

We now have an 18 man squad. Leighton (out of contract)  and Broque won't sniff a start or even a sub appearance so may as well offload them and use the loan market to strengthen further.

Agreed another CB to play alongside Strachan. Morgyn Neill is solid though. Was impressed with him. Just his distribution that isn't the greatest.

21 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Looking forward to seeing how Vigurs and Fyvie team up together in the middle of the park.Hopefully both can give good supply to Mitch.

Still need another striker I feel if we are going to push for promotion. 

You can have Anton Dowds I'll drive him up myself. 

With the players we have currently, and that could change with further signings and/or loans, here is what I think our best XI looks like.

Potential Improvements:

CF: A quality / younger striker (who everyone in L1 is looking for I must say) to replace McAllister although Rory can still get goals and play a part for us.

LW: Perhaps a more pacey/direct left winger who is naturally left footed. Masson is good quality for L1 and will assist and can score goals but we could maybe improve here. At least having someone for competition. Milne has the legs and a huge work rate and compliments Masson. His crossing is very good too.

Really happy with McKenzie, Milne, Strachan, Draper (if fit), Fyvie, Vigurs, Yule and Mitch. Those 8, I wouldn't change.

Probably right now McKenzie, Milne, Fyvie, Vigurs and Mitch wouldn't be far off the best players in their position in L1.

A high quality number 10 would be worth their weight in gold for us if we chose to go 4-5-1 with Mitch lone striker on occasion.

I think 4-4-2 is our best chance. 

lineup.png

On 25/06/2021 at 14:43, CoveRangers1922 said:

With the players we have currently, and that could change with further signings and/or loans, here is what I think our best XI looks like.

Potential Improvements:

CF: A quality / younger striker (who everyone in L1 is looking for I must say) to replace McAllister although Rory can still get goals and play a part for us.

LW: Perhaps a more pacey/direct left winger who is naturally left footed. Masson is good quality for L1 and will assist and can score goals but we could maybe improve here. At least having someone for competition. Milne has the legs and a huge work rate and compliments Masson. His crossing is very good too.

Really happy with McKenzie, Milne, Strachan, Draper (if fit), Fyvie, Vigurs, Yule and Mitch. Those 8, I wouldn't change.

Probably right now McKenzie, Milne, Fyvie, Vigurs and Mitch wouldn't be far off the best players in their position in L1.

A high quality number 10 would be worth their weight in gold for us if we chose to go 4-5-1 with Mitch lone striker on occasion.

I think 4-4-2 is our best chance. 

lineup.png

You not think Morgyn Neill will play centre half in front off Draper.

14 hours ago, IR1970 said:

You not think Morgyn Neill will play centre half in front off Draper.

I think Hartley will try and fit Draper into the team as much as possible and this means he'll probably have to play some games at CB. The reason I come to this is I think our best central midfielders are Fyvie or Vigurs, Yule, Draper, Scully. Not seen much of Draper so this could be wrong.

Fyvie and Vigurs will be the central duo. Could Vigurs play a number 10 role? Not sure. If so, Draper could play alongside Fyvie.

Yule, who is excellent, plays right wing because we don't have a true natural right winger. We've brought in Leitch but he won't start for me.

Scully I rate highly but rarely scores or creates many chances. He's got a good engine and challenges everything that moves though. Was a regular starter for many years and might well find himself sitting on the bench a lot which is a real shame.

Draper has played CB for Ross County many times before.

We could, and may well, play him in a 5 man midfield but I think this might not be offensive enough and we normally opt for 4-4-2. 

We always play with width so Masson and Yule will/should start.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Back at a misty Balmoral after 16 months. 

Cove start like this. Mitch on bench and McAllister starts up top alone 😯.

Screenshot_20210710-141350.jpg

IMG_20210710_141058.jpg

Watson in the starting 11. Will be one of his only games of the season I'm sure. Leighton won't sniff a start when Masson is back.

Only 3 outfielders on the bench and one of them is an u20 player

First game back and a 3-2 loss to Stirling Albion thanks to a 94th minute winner. Cove looked miles off the pace, very jaded and looked content playing sideways passes. Admittedly first game of the season with no friendlies beforehand but poor.

Binos took their chances well, looked a threat going forward and Nathan Flanagan had Morgyn Neill on the ropes throughout the second half. Morgyn looked leggy and very poor all round. A real disappointment and cost us the 2nd and 3rd goals. We need another CB I think.

The other new signings -

Vigurs has good distribution, adept at taking set pieces and can control tempo of the match at times but I wasn't wowed on that performance alone.

Draper hasn't played much football lately and it shows. Scully is the better defensive central midfielder. I would only play Draper at CB.

Player ratings:

McKenzie - 6

Milne - 6

Strachan - 5

Neill - 3

Scott Ross - 7

Watson - 4

Fyvie - 8

Scully - 6

Vigurs - 6

Draper - 5

Yule - 6

Rory - 5

Mitch - 6

Fyvie was playing further forward as Vigurs was sitting back and playing his normal role. 2 good goals from Fyvie, first ones in about 16 months.

Defence were torn apart at the back. There seemed to be a massive gap between midfield and defence that Stirling Albion exploited well.

Rory looked very tired and as said the whole team looked jaded. Their play felt really rigid. Massive difference in style when Mitch Megginson came on. Seemed to be more capable of bringing others in.

CB and Striker needed for sure.

2 hours ago, Camie said:

Defence were torn apart at the back. There seemed to be a massive gap between midfield and defence that Stirling Albion exploited well.

Rory looked very tired and as said the whole team looked jaded. Their play felt really rigid. Massive difference in style when Mitch Megginson came on. Seemed to be more capable of bringing others in.

CB and Striker needed for sure.

What did you think of Vigurs playing quarterback and Fyvie in the number 10 role? 

Completely agree. Morgyn Neill did not fill me with confidence at CB and neither did Draper really. Missed Strachan's leadership and tenacity when he went off injured. We should never play 3 at the back!

Binos were playing between the lines and counter attacking whilst our build up was very slow at times and they had 2 banks of 4 behind the ball.

Rory can't play lone striker, his legs are gone. He's a penalty box poacher nowadays. If Hartley doesn't realise we need another striker then it will be all pressure on Mitch again.

Saying all that first game of the season and we'll improve from here no doubt.

1 hour ago, JamesMunro said:

No not at the game, got tickets for the Caley one so hopefully there will be an improved performance. I think last season we didn’t play well in this cup either 

First game so didn't really expect us to be at our best. Hopefully step it up on Tuesday night or else we're going to be out the cup early!

Hartley still trying to decide who will play where it seems and that's natural.

What I would say is Scully over Draper in centre mid. Not even sure Draper is good enough to play CB