Cove Thread

15 minutes ago, CRFC Blue said:

Went off at half time against Rangers with a knock I believe.

Yep groin injury and not chanced. Hopefully back for the Dumbarton match. No Leighton or Masson tonight.

Disappointed to see 4-5-1

Only Rory has a league 1 goal this season out of the starting 11

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Wardy said:

Noticed watching your highlights against Falkirk that Raith Fan Scott Davie was doing the commentary. Does he do all the Cove games? 

Yeah he does. Pretty good commentator to be fair; impartial and keeps everyone updated with other scores including Raith! He particularly liked the 5-1 against Dunfermline

We suffer our first league loss in 9 games to an own goal from Fraser Fyvie. Ironically his first of the season so a collectors item if you will. Took the stuffing out of us.

Never looked in any danger to lose that game tonight so it was hard to take. The significance of the defeat is large as we now play away to Falkirk rather than at Balmoral. Cove with only 2 wins in 9 away from home this season.

Mo didn't create any decent chances but we didn't have a real cutting edge either.

Higgins will play along side Graham on Saturday with Strachan getting red tonight. Will need 3 points on Saturday to keep our dreams of automatic promotion alive I feel.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Another massive 2 points dropped. That was not a "good point" as many might claim.

Domainated the 2nd half, created many chances, hit the post twice and missed a pen. In the ascendence and failed to get the win.

Away from home we struggle so badly to get 3 points. Clyde and now Falkirk since the restart.

What was Hartley and/or Mitch thinking letting Leighton take the pen. PLEASE NEVER AGAIN.

Higgins looked Shaky as hell at the back.

Badly miss MILNE.

In what was a decent performance especially from midfielders and forwards we slipped up.

Partick although in form are definitely beatable at Balmoral. Unfortunately we'll need to rely on them slipping up once more if we did manage to get the win, which is no easy ask.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Another massive 2 points dropped. That was not a "good point" as many might claim.

Domainated the 2nd half, created many chances, hit the post twice and missed a pen. In the ascendence and failed to get the win.

Away from home we struggle so badly to get 3 points. Clyde and now Falkirk since the restart.

What was Hartley and/or Mitch thinking letting Leighton take the pen. PLEASE NEVER AGAIN.

Higgins looked Shaky as hell at the back.

Badly miss MILNE.

In what was a decent performance especially from midfielders and forwards we slipped up.

Partick although in form are definitely beatable at Balmoral. Unfortunately we'll need to rely on them slipping up once more if we did manage to get the win, which is no easy ask.

Again, absolutely agree with what you’re saying! I actually got removed from the fans group for being too critical 🤣 

Definitely two points dropped today. Falkirk were slightly better than last week but were definitely there for the taking today. Fyvie missed a really good chance and McIntosh missed pen. Why of all the games to give him a pen do we do it this game? 

1 hour ago, JamesMunro said:

Again, absolutely agree with what you’re saying! I actually got removed from the fans group for being too critical 🤣 

Definitely two points dropped today. Falkirk were slightly better than last week but were definitely there for the taking today. Fyvie missed a really good chance and McIntosh missed pen. Why of all the games to give him a pen do we do it this game? 

Need to grasp the chances when they're there and in front of you. It's never going to be given to us. We have a set of players who are equal to the other teams at the top of the division (thanks to Sheran in the most part). 

All the people saying well this is our first year at this level and we are playing some full time teams are too negative in my opinion. If we and the players get in that mindset it could take us years to get out of this league and that could have a detrimental impact.

That's laughable as I saw the comments and it's just someone saying the truth.

Hartley didn't even need to add much quality, just add a couple of players to the squad and we'd be very serious challengers. He brings in Leighton and Broque for Glass and Canto going out. Awful mistakes, although Leighton was slightly better today than this normal performance of running around like a headless chicken.

A defensive mistake led to the pen. After that they created next to nothing and we looked threatening whenever we were on the attack; minus our free kicks which were merely pass backs to the keeper!

I mean Mitch has missed 2? already this season but when I saw Leighton lining up for it I had my eyes squinted and knew the keeper had the better chance. Mitch needs to take them, least I feel he will score.

Fancy us winning on Tuesday? I reckon we have a strong chance. Partick are flying but no reason why we can't secure the points. Anything of than 3 points and we're competing in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Need to grasp the chances when they're there and in front of you. It's never going to be given to us. We have a set of players who are equal to the other teams at the top of the division (thanks to Sheran in the most part). 

All the people saying well this is our first year at this level and we are playing some full time teams are too negative in my opinion. If we and the players get in that mindset it could take us years to get out of this league and that could have a detrimental impact.

That's laughable as I saw the comments and it's just someone saying the truth.

Hartley didn't even need to add much quality, just add a couple of players to the squad and we'd be very serious challengers. He brings in Leighton and Broque for Glass and Canto going out. Awful mistakes, although Leighton was slightly better today than this normal performance of running around like a headless chicken.

A defensive mistake led to the pen. After that they created next to nothing and we looked threatening whenever we were on the attack; minus our free kicks which were merely pass backs to the keeper!

I mean Mitch has missed 2? already this season but when I saw Leighton lining up for it I had my eyes squinted and knew the keeper had the better chance. Mitch needs to take them.

Fancy us winning on Tuesday? I reckon we have a strong chance. Partick are flying but no reason why we can't secure the points. Anything of than 3 points and we're competing in the playoffs.

Correct, our target before the season was definitely not just to stay up going by the signings we made. you’d say a more reasonable target would be play offs minimal, promotion at a push! 

this is the thing though, these players need to be playing better regularly, not just 1 good performance out of so many.

yeah, Mitch definitely needs to take them regardless if he’s missed 2. 

To be honest, I do and I don’t. We seem to play well and not win, and not play well but win. So it’s so hard to predict what will happen. Going by previous results I would expect us to get a result, but Partick are on form now and they know a win would almost guarantee them the title. I’m certainly expecting it to be the toughest match of the 3 v them this season 

18 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

Correct, our target before the season was definitely not just to stay up going by the signings we made. you’d say a more reasonable target would be play offs minimal, promotion at a push! 

this is the thing though, these players need to be playing better regularly, not just 1 good performance out of so many.

yeah, Mitch definitely needs to take them regardless if he’s missed 2. 

To be honest, I do and I don’t. We seem to play well and not win, and not play well but win. So it’s so hard to predict what will happen. Going by previous results I would expect us to get a result, but Partick are on form now and they know a win would almost guarantee them the title. I’m certainly expecting it to be the toughest match of the 3 v them this season 

Oh yeah agree the aim had to be the playoffs and we're not saying that finishing top 4 isn't an achievement but when we have a chance to go up automatically and the so called bigger clubs are/were faltering we need to sense blood and go for the jugular.

Agree his signings aren't doing enough and regularly enough. Graham has been the only standout so far this season. We needed some experienced loan players this season to mix in with the young guys he's taken in. Far too many youths who have little  L1 or even league experience.  

We desperately needed another striker too. 2 on the books after letting Jordan go. Clearly needed another.

Yeah it's going to be tough. Those long ball tactics for 90 minutes aren't going to do it on Tuesday. Need to start 4-4-2 I reckon with Rory and Connor Smith on from the start. Dunno why the latter didn't play today, rested? I haven't been that Impressive with the Jags so far. Beating Montrose 5-0 was a fine result. The others in their last 5 wins (against lower league teams) were almost expected although had to get it done.

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Oh yeah agree the aim had to be the playoffs and we're not saying that finishing top 4 isn't an achievement but when we have a chance to go up automatically and the so called bigger clubs are/were faltering we need to sense blood and go for the jugular.

Agree his signings aren't doing enough and regularly enough. Graham has been the only standout so far this season. We needed some experienced loan players this season to mix in with the young guys he's taken in. Far too many youths who have little  L1 or even league experience.  

We desperately needed another striker too. 2 on the books after letting Jordan go. Clearly needed another.

Yeah it's going to be tough. Those long ball tactics for 90 minutes aren't going to do it on Tuesday. Need to start 4-4-2 I reckon with Rory and Connor Smith on from the start. Dunno why the latter didn't play today, rested?

Exactly it’s a huge opportunity to get automatically promoted, win the rest of our games and hope Partick/Falkirk is a draw and we’ve done it! You’d imagine Queens Park will be at the top next year along with potentially Alloa and the loser of the play off, so next season will be tougher especially as it should be a full season. I think we’ve been fortunate it’s only 22 this season. 

Yeah would agree. Not sure why he signed Hanratty if he’s not going to get a chance? 
Probably rested Ngenwa as well for Tuesday 

That's what we need to believe! Do everything we can to get that win on Tuesday and see where the momentum takes us.

Yeah Queens aren't going to come into L1 to make up the numbers. They will have their eyes set on back to back promotions. There could also be Falkirk, who you think can't be as bad as they are this season and Alloa to a lesser extent.

Doesn't get much/any easier. 

Only seen brief moments of Hanratty but in what I saw he's too inexperienced and not good enough (yet) to be playing at top of league 1.

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah it's going to be tough. Those long ball tactics for 90 minutes aren't going to do it on Tuesday. Need to start 4-4-2 I reckon with Rory and Connor Smith on from the start. Dunno why the latter didn't play today, rested? I haven't been that Impressive with the Jags so far. Beating Montrose 5-0 was a fine result. The others in their last 5 wins (against lower league teams) were almost expected although had to get it done.

Perhaps one of the reasons you haven't been impressed by the Jags so far  might have something to do with what McCall described as the worst injury crisis in 20 years in management. Prior to the suspension of the lower leagues we had, every week, a minimum of 7 players not available for selection. The suspension actually enabled us to get all but one player back to fitness. 

We haven't bearen Cove yet and to be honest I will gladly take a draw on Tuesday. On the other hand games v Cove  have been tight so far! 

Today v Airdrie we  were dead on our feet after 65 mins and it looks like we will be missing our midfield for Tuesday due to injury. So you will be favourites. 

However if we can field a strong team which is by no means certain, then you know you have been in a game. 

What the hell was that today!? Was that tiredness or not giving a damn. A lot of changes yes and we'll surely turn up for the playoffs.

1) Since when do we ever play 3 at the back? - let's not, ever again

2) Why was the whole team walking?

I can't think of a worse team performance, perhaps the day we lay down at Borough Briggs. Most likely we play Airdrie in the semi final playoffs regardless but you want momentum which we had going prior to this game with 1 defeat in 12.

Needed a bollocking at half time and hardly upped our game.

Re-group and go for it next Saturday

• 5 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

After reading the update Cove just stuck on their OS, am I right in saying only one player from last season’s squad has been released? 

Yeah just one player (Adam Livingstone). Nearly all others were under contract already or have been given contract extensions. Mitch we have tied up until 2024!

Glad to keep the majority of the squad together (our Highland League squad essentially). Now we need Hartley to step up and make a few quality additions. So far I think his recruitment has been poor. Only Fyvie and Rory are his signings that would make out best starting 11. Latter is well past his prime.

Really interested to see Faz's additions to the Sons. Was always going to be a big clear out after Duffy. Faz will bring a completely different mentality to the club I reckon and get more out his players.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You guys must either be making very few additions or running with a massive squad for this level. 

Our 5 loanees went back to their parent clubs. Think we have 14 players currently. Expect one more to maybe go and about 4 coming in 

Guest Peter LaFleur
11 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

Robbie Leitch to Cove 

I would be stunned if Leitch is playing League 1 football next season, nevermind for a title challenger.

Edited by Peter LaFleur