Cove Thread

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not what I'm saying at all.

My point is that in my opinion supporting Aberdeen would be a very frustrating experience.

They don't win a lot (1 trophy since 1996 ffs) and will never challenge to win the league, their ceiling and basement in regards to how well they'll do is very close. They're consistently good but not good enough to topple the OF.

You'd expect them to crash out of Europe before the groups start, be top 6 fairly comfortably, qualify for Europe again and not win a trophy in an average season.

That seems like a pretty boring football fan experience to me. The fact there is also not a proper rivalry and big Derby there, like there is in Edinburgh, to liven every season up is also pretty shit.

Cove offer a good alternative to that. Not sure why given their circumstances they cannot sustain a very good part time support from here on out.

I'm not talking about a large amount of people here or proper Aberdeen fans. They don't need to attract a large amount of people to become one of the better supported PT sides. Just talking about football fans from the city.

The only way to see if this is correct is to wait and see how their attendances do over the next couple of years. They might drop off and I might be totally wrong.

Not sure how this take is weird either to be honest. It's only a small discussion in regards to a PT clubs potential.

I don't know where you get your perception of Aberdeen fans.  They are loyal , consistently get 12k or above at home matches and are fiercely proud of their team.  There has been nothing to suggest that will change , even when they move to their new stadium.  They are not bored or disillusioned . They are just eternally optimistic that their team's fortunes are due to change for the better. 

To say that Cove is an alternative is like saying to Arbroath fans  that they could go and watch Arbroath Vics on a regular basis.  One or two might but would soon get pissed off with the difference in standard and facilities. 

8 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
29 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:
Cove have an incredible number of sponsors and the hospitality tends to be packed most weeks.  They aren't a Gretna as far as I can tell.

Costing someone about 300k per year Hartley on a crazy three year ft deal . but what do I know . am a moron

I think you're talking shit here, pal.

42 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I don't know where you get your perception of Aberdeen fans.  They are loyal , consistently get 12k or above at home matches and are fiercely proud of their team.  There has been nothing to suggest that will change , even when they move to their new stadium.  They are not bored or disillusioned . They are just eternally optimistic that their team's fortunes are due to change for the better. 

To say that Cove is an alternative is like saying to Arbroath fans  that they could go and watch Arbroath Vics on a regular basis.  One or two might but would soon get pissed off with the difference in standard and facilities. 

I'm also guessing Aberdeen fans will be unlikely to support a team in blue with "Rangers" in the name.

Never read what I said.

If I were involved with Peterhead I’d be a bit concerned. There is a fair chance they will pass each other in the leagues and think Cove might find it easier to attract players around Aberdeen who previously would have gone to Peterhead.
100% but let's be honest JMc time is up as well at Peterhead overstayed his welcome by years is cove overspending you would need to ask the Chairman that

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

if i was a football fan in Aberdeen I think I'd be more tempted to support Cove. Pretty sure of that actually.

ETA; although their home ground looks like a pretty shit place to watch football

As an Aberdonian resident who supports the only show in Angus, I find Cove an easy team to admire but a very hard team to like. Some of their shithouse behaviour in the past (throwing Mathieson under a bus, constantly giving it the big 'un when pissing the HL, and the almost Sevco-esque whining in the EE/P&J when someone had the audactiy to beat them) does rankle a fair bit. 

No thanks to Bonnyrigg I have a free weekend, and a trip to the Balmoral to soak in a game as a neutral should be an easy choice (especially with it being Cowden and a slight grudge-match edge), but I'd probably rather head over to Culter TBH. 

Oh, and for the poster saying any L1/L2 team would have McAllister: I absolutely wouldn't. He's past the top of the bell curve at L1 level I reckon, and more expense than he's worth. Fully expect him to do a job for Cove if he's motivated though. 

17 minutes ago, Scorge said:

As an Aberdonian resident who supports the only show in Angus, I find Cove an easy team to admire but a very hard team to like. Some of their shithouse behaviour in the past (throwing Mathieson under a bus, constantly giving it the big 'un when pissing the HL, and the almost Sevco-esque whining in the EE/P&J when someone had the audactiy to beat them) does rankle a fair bit. 

No thanks to Bonnyrigg I have a free weekend, and a trip to the Balmoral to soak in a game as a neutral should be an easy choice (especially with it being Cowden and a slight grudge-match edge), but I'd probably rather head over to Culter TBH. 

Oh, and for the poster saying any L1/L2 team would have McAllister: I absolutely wouldn't. He's past the top of the bell curve at L1 level I reckon, and more expense than he's worth. Fully expect him to do a job for Cove if he's motivated though. 

Wouldn’t bother responding to him he doesn’t seem to have a clue.

Blacks Bar for a pre match pint or gtf.