Cove Thread

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Cove also are in a great place to attract Aberdeen fans, every away game for Aberdeen is a trek so a league game down at Cove would be very tempting: especially with Aberdeen being the way they are. Consistently good but never quite challenging for anything it must be so frustrating being a supporter of them.

Cove on the other hand will never ever reach that level and there's maybe more excitement to be had with them going up and down the lower leagues. Certainly seems more interesting to me than supporting a team who wins the majority of games in the Premiership but never being good enough to challenge or win the cups over the OF. They don't even have a derby like Hibs and Hearts do which is why I think Edinburgh City are struggling massively in comparison.

If I was a football fan in Aberdeen I think I'd be more tempted to support Cove. Pretty sure of that actually.

ETA; although their home ground looks like a pretty shit place to watch football

What a load of utter shite and really weird at the same time.

1. Aberdeen are consistently challenging for things. Numerous cup finals/semi finals and European places prove this.

2. Wtf are you on about talking about an Edinburgh derby. What relevance does this have to anything? What are Edinburgh struggling with? You cant say "Aberdeen fans will go support Cove but Hearts and Hibs fans wont  go support Edinburgh City as they have a derby". What an absurd point.

3. Another strange and completely hypothetical point. Irrelevant too. Cove are one of the most disliked teams in the NoS as well but you neglected that.

4. The home ground and location is abysmal for football. Potentially the worst in the SPFL.

Maybe, just maybe, Cove are getting good crowds as it is their first season in the league, they are flying and scoring a lot of goals with a lot of household names playing. In 3 years time when they are mid-table in League 2 and the novelty has worn out and they are averaging 300 you come back to us.

What a load of utter shite and really weird at the same time.

1. Aberdeen are consistently challenging for things. Numerous cup finals/semi finals and European places prove this.

2. Wtf are you on about talking about an Edinburgh derby. What relevance does this have to anything? What are Edinburgh struggling with? You cant say "Aberdeen fans will go support Cove but Hearts and Hibs fans wont  go support Edinburgh City as they have a derby". What an absurd point.

3. Another strange and completely hypothetical point. Irrelevant too. Cove are one of the most disliked teams in the NoS as well but you neglected that.

4. The home ground and location is abysmal for football. Potentially the worst in the SPFL.

Maybe, just maybe, Cove are getting good crowds as it is their first season in the league, they are flying and scoring a lot of goals with a lot of household names playing. In 3 years time when they are mid-table in League 2 and the novelty has worn out and they are averaging 300 you come back to us.

1. Fans are still frustrated and want McInnes sacked even though they are currently doing this. They're a team who will float between say 8th and 3rd in the Premiership. They have won one trophy since 1996. Their achievement for finishing best of the rest is Europe which they are pumped out of every season before the groups start.

2. In Edinburgh it would surely be more attractive being a supporter of Hibs or Hesrts when you had another main rival in the city and a huge Derby. It would make supporting one of they clubs much more interesting. The alternative of Edinburgh City wouldn't be as appealing.

Household names playing for Cove? Who? Fyvie?

Maybe their crowds will have a down turn again and you will be correct but in my opinion they're a great alternative to supporting Aberdeen.

Have not been looking at the figures how many are Cove getting at home on average over the years we have found if at home & Aberdeen away it might put a few on the gate but not many.

Think it's like 750 this year which is good for League 2. Not sure Peterhead is really the same tbf is it not about an hours drive from the city?

I wasn't meaning on a large scale either. But really do not see why they cannot be one of the better supported part time sides in the country over the long term with the circumstances.

The only way to know is to wait and see. Could be completely wrong.

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

2. In Edinburgh it would surely be more attractive being a supporter of Hibs or Hesrts when you had another main rival in the city and a huge Derby. It would make supporting one of they clubs much more interesting. The alternative of Edinburgh City wouldn't be as appealing.

So you are saying that supporting Cove is more appealing than Aberdeen as Aberdeen don't have a rival? Do you know how crazy that sounds. Not to mention that Cove represent a specific area of Aberdeen (one which will have many rivalries) so you are far more unlikely to get people from Bridge of Don and Tillydrone supporting them. Edinburgh City don't have that issue as they are not geographically tied. Neglected that massive point to fit in with your weird point though.

38 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

1. Fans are still frustrated and want McInnes sacked even though they are currently doing this. They're a team who will float between say 8th and 3rd in the Premiership. They have won one trophy since 1996. Their achievement for finishing best of the rest is Europe which they are pumped out of every season before the groups start.

Household names playing for Cove? Who? Fyvie?

Maybe their crowds will have a down turn again and you will be correct but in my opinion they're a great alternative to supporting Aberdeen.

They haven't finished outside the top four in 6 years, and probably won't do so again this year.

3 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Yup

you either get to pay extra for the privilege of sitting in a small stand with a bevvy of pissed hospitality oilmen or try and get a vantage point on flat ground amongst wall to wall advertising boards in front and behind you.

Worst pies in football as well

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Only seen it on the highlights but it looks like it would be vastly superior if they followed what Annan have at Galabank. Raised concrete platforms or a small terracing. Pretty shit view when you're level with the park.

It's a terrible place to watch a game. There are many junior grounds which are better.

Don't even think of going there unless you are 2metres tall and have plenty of blubber to keep you warm.

Arbroath's ground is tropical by comparison.

So you are saying that supporting Cove is more appealing than Aberdeen as Aberdeen don't have a rival? Do you know how crazy that sounds. Not to mention that Cove represent a specific area of Aberdeen (one which will have many rivalries) so you are far more unlikely to get people from Bridge of Don and Tillydrone supporting them. Edinburgh City don't have that issue as they are not geographically tied. Neglected that massive point to fit in with your weird point though.

Not what I'm saying at all.

My point is that in my opinion supporting Aberdeen would be a very frustrating experience.

They don't win a lot (1 trophy since 1996 ffs) and will never challenge to win the league, their ceiling and basement in regards to how well they'll do is very close. They're consistently good but not good enough to topple the OF.

You'd expect them to crash out of Europe before the groups start, be top 6 fairly comfortably, qualify for Europe again and not win a trophy in an average season.

That seems like a pretty boring football fan experience to me. The fact there is also not a proper rivalry and big Derby there, like there is in Edinburgh, to liven every season up is also pretty shit.

Cove offer a good alternative to that. Not sure why given their circumstances they cannot sustain a very good part time support from here on out.

I'm not talking about a large amount of people here or proper Aberdeen fans. They don't need to attract a large amount of people to become one of the better supported PT sides. Just talking about football fans from the city.

The only way to see if this is correct is to wait and see how their attendances do over the next couple of years. They might drop off and I might be totally wrong.

Not sure how this take is weird either to be honest. It's only a small discussion in regards to a PT clubs potential.

12 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Does Cove's income cover their outgoings?  If not, are they at risk of this all going south one day?

Every time I see a new "big name" signing by Cove this is the question I ask myself.  Are they really profitable or are they just relying on a wealthy benefactor a la Gretna to fund all of this.

Just now, senorsoupe said:

Every time I see a new "big name" signing by Cove this is the question I ask myself.  Are they really profitable or are they just relying on a wealthy benefactor a la Gretna to fund all of this.

Yeah I have the same thoughts.  Could be missplaced of course, perhaps they're absolutely self-sustaining and doing this responsibly, or perhaps they have a benefactor who is genuinely happy to write off money so any debt isn't ever going to be saddled with the club. 

Regardless, so many Scottish clubs have overstretched and gone into administration down the years that it becomes natural to wonder what's going on when you see the players they've had this season.  If (and it's a big if) they're financially doping then that's unfair on all the other clubs.

Regards,

Mr S. Grapes.

12 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Of course any team is susceptible to their backers pulling the plug but Cove are a long, long way from the fiasco that was Gretna.