Cove Thread

15 hours ago, TFW said:

There's a common misconception about Talbot being a strong physical side, and it being the main part of their game. What we are is a very fit side, and we'll be as strong in the 91st minute as we are in the 1st. We press hard, so don't be surprised to see two players closing down on someone at any time. Whilst we are not overtly physical, we're nobody's mugs.

We are playing some lovely football at the moment, and you can check out the quality of our goals at the weekend when we beat Pollok 3-1 on the Talbot Facebook page, they are all top quality. For me, the Scottish Cup is all about games like this when two very good teams are matched together, and as a non league side we now have the opportunity of gaining our second league scalp after beating Ayr last season.

Both clubs are different, no doubt about that. We have no desire to become part of the Scottish Football League like yourselves. We have an excellent standard of football and our furthest away game is only 50 miles, and nobody in East Ayrshire wishes to sacrifice that for a trip to Elgin on a freezing Tuesday night in winter. As a pensioner this season, I'm paying the princely sum of £42 for my season ticket which gets me into 15 Super League games. It wouldn't get me into two Kilmarnock games just ten miles up the road. BTW, what do Cove charge for admission now you're in the 2nd Division?

£12 admission at Cove which is about average, and just about pays for Fyvie's lunch 

16 hours ago, TFW said:

There's a common misconception about Talbot being a strong physical side, and it being the main part of their game. What we are is a very fit side, and we'll be as strong in the 91st minute as we are in the 1st. We press hard, so don't be surprised to see two players closing down on someone at any time. Whilst we are not overtly physical, we're nobody's mugs.

We are playing some lovely football at the moment, and you can check out the quality of our goals at the weekend when we beat Pollok 3-1 on the Talbot Facebook page, they are all top quality. For me, the Scottish Cup is all about games like this when two very good teams are matched together, and as a non league side we now have the opportunity of gaining our second league scalp after beating Ayr last season.

Both clubs are different, no doubt about that. We have no desire to become part of the Scottish Football League like yourselves. We have an excellent standard of football and our furthest away game is only 50 miles, and nobody in East Ayrshire wishes to sacrifice that for a trip to Elgin on a freezing Tuesday night in winter. As a pensioner this season, I'm paying the princely sum of £42 for my season ticket which gets me into 15 Super League games. It wouldn't get me into two Kilmarnock games just ten miles up the road. BTW, what do Cove charge for admission now you're in the 2nd Division?

Shall hopefully be a good encounter with two in-form teams. May the best team win.

16 hours ago, TFW said:

Ayr was a fair scalp. Shows the quality of Talbot.

£42 for 15 games and you’re seeing good quality football with lots of goals. That’s exceptional value. 

Would part of you not like to climb the leagues, play new opposition, visit new grounds, attract bigger crowds etc. Perhaps that’s just my view.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

It's a state of mind thing. I believe in non league football and it's ability to live alongside the SFL. The two ought to go hand in hand, but unfortunately they don't.

I'm more than happy for Talbot to remain a non league club, as are the vast majority of our fans. We are intensely proud of our Junior status and history, but are not averse to change. If and when the move comes to join what's laughingly called the Pyramid Talbot won't be left behind, but as I mentioned in an earlier post why would fans want that? We run coaches to every league game as they're all within a fifty mile radius. We regularly have 300 plus at away games and that simply wouldn't happen if we joined the SFL.

I doubt we would attract larger crowds. Killie and Ayr are 20 to 30 minutes away for those who want to watch that kind of stuff, and we have four other Junior clubs all within a six mile radius. Football fans are very well catered for in East Ayrshire. We average about 500 per home match over the season at £6 per head. Double that in an area where well paid jobs are not the norm and you'll probably see the crowds drop. The coaches wouldn't go to Elgin, Peterhead etc as they do the central belt.

Despite all that we do go long distances to watch our team in decent numbers in the Scottish Cup. 100 plus at Wick last year was good, I assume the Talbot support at Cove was probably as good as you got last season? (most definitely the noisiest!) and 200 plus at Fraserburgh were all grand days out. We've given Dundonald and Camelon their biggest gates by far this season (in the Scottish Cup) and they have just stepped up senior, and we had 400 odd at Kelty in front of 1700 crowd. Take out Kelty's game against Solihull Moors and we've given the new senior clubs their three highest attendances so far this season across all the EOSL and Lowland League. Why on earth would we want to give that up?

5 minutes ago, TFW said:

It's a state of mind thing. I believe in non league football and it's ability to live alongside the SFL. The two ought to go hand in hand, but unfortunately they don't.

I'm more than happy for Talbot to remain a non league club, as are the vast majority of our fans. We are intensely proud of our Junior status and history, but are not averse to change. If and when the move comes to join what's laughingly called the Pyramid Talbot won't be left behind, but as I mentioned in an earlier post why would fans want that? We run coaches to every league game as they're all within a fifty mile radius. We regularly have 300 plus at away games and that simply wouldn't happen if we joined the SFL.

I doubt we would attract larger crowds. Killie and Ayr are 20 to 30 minutes away for those who want to watch that kind of stuff, and we have four other Junior clubs all within a six mile radius. Football fans are very well catered for in East Ayrshire. We average about 500 per home match over the season at £6 per head. Double that in an area where well paid jobs are not the norm and you'll probably see the crowds drop. The coaches wouldn't go to Elgin, Peterhead etc as they do the central belt.

Despite all that we do go long distances to watch our team in decent numbers in the Scottish Cup. 100 plus at Wick last year was good, I assume the Talbot support at Cove was probably as good as you got last season? (most definitely the noisiest!) and 200 plus at Fraserburgh were all grand days out. We've given Dundonald and Camelon their biggest gates by far this season (in the Scottish Cup) and they have just stepped up senior, and we had 400 odd at Kelty in front of 1700 crowd. Take out Kelty's game against Solihull Moors and we've given the new senior clubs their three highest attendances so far this season across all the EOSL and Lowland League. Why on earth would we want to give that up?

Care to elaborate?

Shows his complete lack of understanding what being a non league club is all about. I suppose we are a big fish in a small pond, but that's only because the clubs from the East jumped ship because they couldn't win the Junior Cup. I love non league football, I don't like the senior game in Scotland at all, and will travel south of the border a couple of times per season midweek to watch my home town team Grimsby. In 28 years, I have seen just perhaps about a dozen Scottish League games, mainly at Gretna and QOTS, which are not too far away from me. I don't watch the highlights of Scottish League games at all, and I doubt I could name half a dozen or so players in the SFL. I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Non League football I love, and I go to watch the occasional midweek or pre season friendly  game at Threave Rovers, Dalbeattie Star and Heston Rovers, all of which are about 30 minutes away from me. You can keep the SFL  as far as I'm concerned. I'll be wherever Talbot are EVERY weekend, that'll do me. If we win something that's great, but it's not the be all and end all for me. What is happening at Cove, I think, might be sustainable and you certainly have the money to throw about to progress higher, but to do what? Nobody's going to win the SPL bar Rangers or Celtic, that's pre-determined every season. If you get into the SPL, you won't be able to compete with the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen or the like. Keep it, and your misguided dreams of glory, Beechwood for me!

51 minutes ago, TFW said:

Shows his complete lack of understanding what being a non league club is all about. I suppose we are a big fish in a small pond, but that's only because the clubs from the East jumped ship because they couldn't win the Junior Cup. I love non league football, I don't like the senior game in Scotland at all, and will travel south of the border a couple of times per season midweek to watch my home town team Grimsby. In 28 years, I have seen just perhaps about a dozen Scottish League games, mainly at Gretna and QOTS, which are not too far away from me. I don't watch the highlights of Scottish League games at all, and I doubt I could name half a dozen or so players in the SFL. I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Non League football I love, and I go to watch the occasional midweek or pre season friendly  game at Threave Rovers, Dalbeattie Star and Heston Rovers, all of which are about 30 minutes away from me. You can keep the SFL  as far as I'm concerned. I'll be wherever Talbot are EVERY weekend, that'll do me. If we win something that's great, but it's not the be all and end all for me. What is happening at Cove, I think, might be sustainable and you certainly have the money to throw about to progress higher, but to do what? Nobody's going to win the SPL bar Rangers or Celtic, that's pre-determined every season. If you get into the SPL, you won't be able to compete with the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen or the like. Keep it, and your misguided dreams of glory, Beechwood for me!

What a very strange point to try and make. The SPL and SFL don't exist either. Killie finished third last season - above Hears, Hibs and Aberdeen. In recent years St Johnstone, Ross County, ICT and Dundee United have all won cups as well.

No one is criticising you for enjoying non league football. You can stay there for eternity, thankfully clubs like Bonnyrigg looked further ahead and, while they are still non league for now, they wanted to progress as far as they can.

The East of Scotland teams didn't "jump ship" either, they moved to a far more progressive pyramid structure in an attempt to bring Scottish football under one umbrella. I bet some of your best days, recently, supporting your team have been in the Scottish Cup, a competition I wouldn't be letting the Junior teams near.

Your extremely defensive mind set seems to optimise WoS Junior fans.

It's not a defensive mind set at all. The East clubs did jump ship once Kelty made the move, and even then the likes of Bonnyrigg and Linlithgow left it right until the very last minute. If the likes of Bonnyrigg, Bo'mess and Linlithgow had had the success in the Junior Cup that we had they might not have been so quick to go.

As for defensive mindsets you wouldn't be letting the Junior teams anywhere near the Scottish Cup? I doubt that's a position shared by your treasurer of any other non league sides treasurer when Talbot come to town in said competition. Think it must be a Cove thing, this defensive mindset you mention after last year's game when all the excuses in the book came out because you lost at Beechwood. That was the day, of course, your whole team declined to come into the social club for post match hospitality which left a very bitter taste in the mouth. 

Anyway, that's my last word on the subject, and I hope for a good game a week on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, TFW said:

It's not a defensive mind set at all. The East clubs did jump ship once Kelty made the move, and even then the likes of Bonnyrigg and Linlithgow left it right until the very last minute. If the likes of Bonnyrigg, Bo'mess and Linlithgow had had the success in the Junior Cup that we had they might not have been so quick to go.

As for defensive mindsets you wouldn't be letting the Junior teams anywhere near the Scottish Cup? I doubt that's a position shared by your treasurer of any other non league sides treasurer when Talbot come to town in said competition. Think it must be a Cove thing, this defensive mindset you mention after last year's game when all the excuses in the book came out because you lost at Beechwood. That was the day, of course, your whole team declined to come into the social club for post match hospitality which left a very bitter taste in the mouth. 

Anyway, that's my last word on the subject, and I hope for a good game a week on Saturday. 

Cove don’t take losing well. Do the right thing and let them win.

On 11/10/2019 at 13:41, TFW said:

You play in a backwater league structure that is dying. Can never understand the Ayrshire mentality of wanting to win tinpot trophies over the chance of progression as a whole for clubs. Those that left the Juniors have flourished whilst those that remain circle ever closer every year to the drain of history.

Football is football, doesn't matter what level it is and its a crying shame to see posters such as yourself who would rather their team were an irrelevance than take up the opportunity of making something of themselves. Sad.