Cove Thread

Neither do I. Makes sense at all levels to have a loan system. Good for players for game time. Good for both clubs. No club is barred from using the system so if you have the funds then it's there for everyones benefit.
Alternatively.... Aberdeen or whoever bring in loan players from England instead of giving their young guys a game; the young guys go to Cove who are obliged to play them at the expense of local youngsters who will be surplus to requirements and end up down the swing park with 2 litres of cheap cider and thoughts of tanning your motor to relieve the boredom.

21 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 06/09/2019 at 01:22, onecowden said:
Neither do I. Makes sense at all levels to have a loan system. Good for players for game time. Good for both clubs. No club is barred from using the system so if you have the funds then it's there for everyones benefit.

Alternatively.... Aberdeen or whoever bring in loan players from England instead of giving their young guys a game; the young guys go to Cove who are obliged to play them at the expense of local youngsters who will be surplus to requirements and end up down the swing park with 2 litres of cheap cider and thoughts of tanning your motor to relieve the boredom.

After watching that debacle last night it seems obvious that our “bigger” teams would prefer to fill their teams with journeymen from down south than give our youngsters a chance. Aberdeen have been part of that in recent times.

9 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

After watching that debacle last night it seems obvious that our “bigger” teams would prefer to fill their teams with journeymen from down south than give our youngsters a chance. Aberdeen have been part of that in recent times.

That isn't really accurate though. It is just a bit of a hot take without any real substance.

The best club in Scotland have had Tierney, McGregor, Bain, Forrest, Johnston all playing pretty regular in recent times (add in donkeys like Hendry, Morgan and Ralston and they have given Scottish players plenty chances). Griffiths would have been too had he not had his troubles. If they are good enough teams will play them - we simply aren't producing enough good players.

Was talking with a friend yesterday about the players we currently have on loan and short term contracts. The discussion then was if we could extend Glass or Fyvie, who would you choose?

Straight away I said Fyvie. His leadership, experience, composure, strength and guidance to all around him are worth more, for me, than Glass. Declan is creative and will bag goals and I hope we can keep him past January.

Thoughts on the above and likelihood  we’ll keep Glass, Fyvie or Matty beyond Jan?

Would be hard to replace any of these especially the first too. If we lost anyone of these who would be suitable replacements?

Thoughts on the above and likelihood  we’ll keep Glass, Fyvie or Matty beyond Jan?

Fyvie would like to play for a full time club again ,Premiership ? What I’m hearing no, certainly Championship but then again lives in Aberdeen class player certainly for our league and the tips /experience he can pass onto the younger players can only be good.

Glass etc? Are they ready for two divisions higher or would you as manager from parent club be happy that they were playing competitive football week in week out with a view to taking them home when the time comes and not before they’re ready. Certainly suggests that rather than having ‘colt teams’ in the SPFL the bigger clubs loan out these young guys to get the experience they need to make a real go of it later on without too much expectation on their heads. Just my thoughts ...

On 18/09/2019 at 22:00, Toonsers said:

Thoughts on the above and likelihood  we’ll keep Glass, Fyvie or Matty beyond Jan?

Fyvie would like to play for a full time club again ,Premiership ? What I’m hearing no, certainly Championship but then again lives in Aberdeen class player certainly for our league and the tips /experience he can pass onto the younger players can only be good.

Glass etc? Are they ready for two divisions higher or would you as manager from parent club be happy that they were playing competitive football week in week out with a view to taking them home when the time comes and not before they’re ready. Certainly suggests that rather than having ‘colt teams’ in the SPFL the bigger clubs loan out these young guys to get the experience they need to make a real go of it later on without too much expectation on their heads. Just my thoughts ...

Good analysis and thoughts. I agree with a lot you’ve said about Glass and Matty Smith. Being in a winning team hopefully give them the enthusiasm and desire to stay and achieve promotion.

It’ll be interesting to see what offers Fraser gets in January. I’ve been to every league game this season bar Albion and in my opinion he’s looking stronger and fitter every game. We sorely missed him in Wales. I think his leadership and strength would have enabled us to win that game.

On the pitch, though, how do you think you're holding up generally in this division. I predicted you'd win the league before you even beat Berwick in the second game and still think you'll walk the title.

What do you think? Liable for a potential mid-season wobble to make the title interesting... with only Edinburgh... and hopefully Cowden - but I doubt that - looking likely to challenge... or do you reckon it'll be a bit of a walkaover getting into League One?

4 hours ago, Drifter said:

On the pitch, though, how do you think you're holding up generally in this division. I predicted you'd win the league before you even beat Berwick in the second game and still think you'll walk the title.

What do you think? Liable for a potential mid-season wobble to make the title interesting... with only Edinburgh... and hopefully Cowden - but I doubt that - looking likely to challenge... or do you reckon it'll be a bit of a walkaover getting into League One?

bound to hit a rough patch, all teams do at least once per season, but Cove will win L2 by at least 8 points 

4 hours ago, Drifter said:

That’s some prediction so early on!

6 games in and generally I think we’ve been free flowing, trying to play passing football and shown creativity in the final third. 

Fyvie,Glass and Matty Smith have gelled in well into the team and scored quite a few goals and made assists. The first two I’d really like to stay until the end of the season or beyond. If they go in January it would be difficult to find equal replacements. If they were injured/suspended I don’t think we’d have the same quality on the bench to swap in. Can Redman, Martin Scott, Jordan Brown step up? Our squad isn’t that big/deep so who knows what second half of the season could bring.

It’s a real shame Dan Park wasn’t given game time and has since left to Formartine.

Should say that  Masson, Milne, Yule and Scully have been core to the success we’ve had in the highland league and the results in league 2 so far.

Cowden have put a nice little run together as of late.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

9 minutes ago, marello said:

bound to hit a rough patch, all teams do at least once per season, but Cove will win L2 by at least 8 points 

If we do win L2 it will be interesting to see the management confidence in how we approach L1. I.e -  in regards to loan/permanent signings and squad depth.

On 20/09/2019 at 14:40, CoveRangers1922 said:

Good analysis and thoughts. I agree with a lot you’ve said about Glass and Matty Smith. Being in a winning team hopefully give them the enthusiasm and desire to stay and achieve promotion.

It’ll be interesting to see what offers Fraser gets in January. I’ve been to every league game this season bar Albion and in my opinion he’s looking stronger and fitter every game. We sorely missed him in Wales. I think his leadership and strength would have enabled us to win that game.

21 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Heard those rumours. Hearts are a quality side with loads of depth. I’m hoping they turn things around starting on Sunday so that door closes for PH! 

That would be a crazy move if Hearts did that Hartley inherited a decent team and with all due respect is managing in the second division.Personally I’d say that Hearts need someone else with a pedigree which the club needs just now and not just a former player.

3 minutes ago, Toonsers said:

That would be a crazy move if Hearts did that Hartley inherited a decent team and with all due respect is managing in the second division.Personally I’d say that Hearts need someone else with a pedigree which the club needs just now and not just a former player.

Tbf Hartley has a lot of experience and isn’t just a former player. Don’t think the Cove of last season would have coped as well as the current team. 

1 hour ago, Toonsers said:

Completely agree. Think the bookies make Michael O’Neill and Steven Pressely as joint favourites but Hartley isn’t far behind. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Tbf Hartley has a lot of experience and isn’t just a former player. Don’t think the Cove of last season would have coped as well as the current team. 

Hartley has good experience with lower league clubs - L2/L1/Championship but can he do it in the Premiership? Maybe but it’s a risk.

That’s probably a fair comment. Glass and Fyvie have strengthen us in those areas but is Matty Smith any better than say Dan Park? Is Higgins any better than Darren Kelly? Those, I’d say, are debatable.

What’s the thoughts on Jimmy Scott, Jordan Brown and even John Robertson? Good enough for top of L2? They are getting near enough no game time and I understand that’s just how things are in football. PH picks his best 11 and they aren’t making the cut.  Mitch is playing lone striker.

We have a smallish squad and if Mitch gets injured then they will be needed. It’s a long season.

I know Elgin weren’t at their best today but Sutherland and Hester are dangerous forwards with pace. Would you take one of them over the aforementioned?