Jed Steer

5 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Auch sit doon.

Football is about winning games. Something we're not particularly good at. If bringing in players through some feint eligibility makes us a better team, the more the merrier.

Dont know about you, but when I watch Scotland I dont care if the players are from Govan, Inverness or Outer Mongolia as long as they give their all and help us win games.

This "not Scottish enough" patter is absolute throwback to the Rangers "must be a good proddy" guff. 

The religious comparison is a really bad one.

For me, the entire purpose of international football is that players from a particular nation represent that country.

Edited by dstuart82

1 hour ago, dstuart82 said:

Very insightful response, well done.

Who should be eligible to play for Scotland? Keen to hear your thoughts, which I’m sure aren’t at all based on outdated perspectives of nationality, identity, and feeling a bit uncomfortable about Scottish players having English accents. 

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

Who should be eligible to play for Scotland? Keen to hear your thoughts, which I’m sure aren’t at all based on outdated perspectives of nationality, identity, and feeling a bit uncomfortable about Scottish players having English accents. 

You are wrong again.

For example, Don Hutchison, Stuart McCall and Andy Goram (to name a few) all had an English accent but there is no doubt that they all felt Scottish and wanted to represent Scotland at international level.

Using the grandparent rule is fair enough but for me the player must feel Scottish and have us as their first choice.

We have been second choice for too many players in recent history imo and I definitely think that this has been to the detriment of the team.

Edited by dstuart82

8 minutes ago, dstuart82 said:

You are wrong again.

For example, Don Hutchison, Stuart McCall and Andy Goram (to name a few) all had an English accent but there is no doubt that they all felt Scottish and wanted to represent Scotland at international level.

Using the grandparent rule is fair enough but for me the player must feel Scottish and have us as their first choice.

We have been second choice for too many players in recent history imo and I definitely think that this has been to the detriment of the team.

What does “feeling” Scottish mean? How do you define it? If you can’t, then it’s drivel.

I’m born and brought up in Scotland but I don’t “feel” especially Scottish. Am I Scottish? 

Edited by VladimirMooc

What does “feeling” Scottish mean? How do you define it? If you can’t, then it’s drivel.
I’m born and brought up in Scotland but I don’t “feel” especially Scottish. Am I Scottish? 

It doesn’t mean a thing. It’s a vacuous concept. Professional pride coupled with footballing competence is more than enough.

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

Now you are just being obtuse.

Maybe ‘feel’ was the wrong word, but I think you know what I mean, the players I mentioned above certainly wanted to play for Scotland.

At the end of the day, it’s called international football for reason, otherwise club football would be suffice.

22 minutes ago, dstuart82 said:

Now you are just being obtuse.

Maybe ‘feel’ was the wrong word, but I think you know what I mean, the players I mentioned above certainly wanted to play for Scotland.

At the end of the day, it’s called international football for reason, otherwise club football would be suffice.

Not being obtuse at all. Keen to know your sense of what identity / nationality means. 

I do think I know what you mean, and therein lies the problem. I hope Clarke’s new squad is Scottish enough for you though. 

23 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

We're not good enough to limit ourselves to players born in Scotland.    But it's horrible seeing players like Matt Ritchie treating Scotland like a cheap whore.   

He is a dick.  I would call him up then not use him, or if he pulls out use the four day rule a few times just as a f**k you.  Same with Cairney.

On 18/05/2019 at 19:32, dstuart82 said:

Regardless of his ability, the obsessive pursuit to find English players who are eligible to represent our national team is an embarrassment.

The fact that people like you do not see this says it all.

Reported for xenophobia.

If they're good enough and willing to represent us, who cares? 

I don't know about anyone else, but not seeing my country at a major tournament for over 20 years is absolutely brutal. We're hardly in a position to decree non-Scottish born players as unrepresentative. 

The religious comparison is a really bad one.
For me, the entire purpose of international football is that players from a particular nation represent that country.

Thank f**k it is not up to you then

On 5/18/2019 at 19:19, Savage Henry said:

Yeah. Imagine not defining nationality by accident of birth alone. What have we become?

Yeah, we define it by accident of your parents or grandparents birth!

To be clear I have no opinion about or problem with Jed Steer playing for Scotland. But why are we pretending the birth rule is any more or less arbitrary than the grandparent rule?

Edited by Gordon EF

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Yeah, we define it by accident of your parents or grandparents birth!

To be clear I have no opinion about or problem with Jed Steer playing for Scotland. But why are we pretending the birth rule is any more or less arbitrary than the grandparent rule?

The home nations need to have "arbitrary" rules because otherwise each national team could pick whichever player with a British passport they liked, irrespective of their personal circumstances and ties (or lack of them) to that country.