~The Sixth Sense~ Hamilton Academical 2019/2020 Thread

10 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

St Mirren fans trying to fill the gap as our rivals since Dundee went down. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

A club absolutely irrelevant to our team and supporters so please pipe down lads.

Ehhh... Not really. I actually came in to show some 'drawing with Queens Park in the League Cup' solidarity, but then saw someone moaning about a lack of midfield creativity and it seemed easier to just post a wee pic of Tony.

Half of me wants to be reassuring, but the other half is aware of how gash we were last season following an identical result, so... 🤷‍♂️

Just now, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Yeah I know. An experienced centre half like him is exactly what we need. 

Think you would need pace alongside him (not too sure if you already have that).

Just now, Dindeleux said:

Think you would need pace alongside him (not too sure if you already have that).

Yeah good point. He would have been a good replacement for Kilgannon bringing an experienced head but we don't have Ziggy's pace now to carry him either. Not seen the new lad Fjortoft in action yet so can't comment.

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I would expect nothing less considering what we witnessed on Saturday.

Everyone at the club can surely see we are crying out for an experienced head at the back and someone to get their foot on the ball and attempt to unlock a defence. The aimless punts up the park totally bypassing the midfield was something I'd expect from Canning's side and not Rice, who has talked about trying to get the ball down and play. Our midfield at the moment looks painfully short of quality (which may explain the direct approach of our passes from the back) and is as much of a concern as the defence is IMO.

No cause for panic yet considering the time of year it is. I'll be very interested in the remaining group games of the cup to see what we come up with.

I also thought we looked very sluggish and heavy legged on Saturday. First competitive game and all that, but I was still surprised. Especially when you compared us to L2 amateur QP.

Tomorrow night is going to be very intriguing.

I know its a completely different level of opposition but I watched Queens Park playing Hurlford Juniors the week before and the one thing I would say for QP is they were very very fit and sharp.

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I know its a completely different level of opposition but I watched Queens Park playing Hurlford Juniors the week before and the one thing I would say for QP is they were very very fit and sharp.

Apparently they were unlucky against Thistle,only being undone by defensive mistakes.

As for us,letting Sowah go was a bad move I felt at the time  as the guy was capable of playing a few positions and would have been a regular for me this season.That game at Paisley,it was Sowah and Ziggy who seemed to single handedly repel the wave of St.Mirren attacks until we were beaten by a lucky break of the ball.

A back four this season of McGowan,Ziggy or Stanger(not playing Stanger at right back as Rice has done in friendlies),Sowah and Hunt or young Leon McCann would have sufficed and allowed us to splash any cash to strengthen our shocking midfield.

What changes would you all expect tonight? The main issues on Saturday were creativity from midfield and being undone by QP playing quick balls to their forwards. In the Clyde friendly last season, they caused us all sorts of trouble by countering as well, and I don't see anyone in the squad who can solve these issues.
Fjortoft seems a bit more dominant than Gogic and McKenna but also slower than them, and while Mimnaugh would provide more quality in midfield, he's not going to create chances. Miller for Oakley or Davies would hopefully make things a little less pedestrian.

Struggling to see any attraction in getting Sowah back who had 1 decent display at left back and 1 and a half decent performances at centre back at the end of the season. Aside from that he was mostly poor. 

It's admittedly not a popular point of view but McMann is our best left back by some distance and someone who if he could find a way to stop his lapses of concentration could play at a higher level. On Saturday he was the one player who tried to beat a man, constantly showed for the ball and if we were going to score then it was going to come from one of his runs or crosses down the left.

I don't disagree that an experienced centre back is a priority but it must be an out and out central defender and not be another utility player like Sowah. A creative midfielder is a must as well but in the meantime experienced players like MacKinnon and Alston need to step up which is something neither did on Saturday. 

It's early days, too early to panic and perhaps the QP performance was heavy legs after a tough preseason but even then the lack of spark and the spectre of senior players hiding wasn't a pretty sight and must be improved on tonight.

47 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

What changes would you all expect tonight? The main issues on Saturday were creativity from midfield and being undone by QP playing quick balls to their forwards. In the Clyde friendly last season, they caused us all sorts of trouble by countering as well, and I don't see anyone in the squad who can solve these issues.
Fjortoft seems a bit more dominant than Gogic and McKenna but also slower than them, and while Mimnaugh would provide more quality in midfield, he's not going to create chances. Miller for Oakley or Davies would hopefully make things a little less pedestrian.

I would go for this tonight but fully expect the starting 11 to be nowhere near this.

Gourlay

McGowan, Fjortoft, McKenna, Easton.

Daz, Hunt

Miller, Alston, Smith

Oakley

Lewis Smith was brilliant tonight. Boy isn't afraid to take on a man, delivery was good and isn't afraid to shoot.

Granted is was against Clyde but more than happy to see him start against Partick on Saturday.

I also thought Hughes played better tonight in a more attacking role than he played on Saturday so credit to him as well.

Tonight was an improvement, albeit against pretty poor opposition.
Having Miller and Smith in the team makes things more exciting, and McGowan and especially McMann seemed to find space a lot higher up the park than they did against QP.
There were still plenty of flaws to see though.
The team were all pretty guilty of being slack in possession, that midfield is far too lightweight to play in the Premiership, Alston has been fairly anonymous in two games (nice footballer but doesn't do enough) and Clyde still managed to create too many clear cut chances. Fair play to Rice for switching the formation after they scored.
Smith looked excellent - again, against a L1 side - and did something any time he got the ball. He's incredibly confident for a teenager and clearly has quality.