~The Sixth Sense~ Hamilton Academical 2019/2020 Thread

Alston is one of these players that is a central midfielder but isn't good enough to play there, so gets shunted to the right. But he's by no means a winger.

That sounds harsh above but I thought he had a decent start to last season for us before appearing to fall completely out of favour.

I think he might suit Accies.

Alston is one of these players that is a central midfielder but isn't good enough to play there, so gets shunted to the right. But he's by no means a winger.
That sounds harsh above but I thought he had a decent start to last season for us before appearing to fall completely out of favour.
I think he might suit Accies.

We have really struggled for creativity from midfield this year so this is a definite need we’ve addressed and I think he’ll do a good job.

Accies signing known top flight players early in the transfer window [emoji44][emoji106]

I think all in all this is a decent signing, experienced with the Scottish game and has played at this level for 3 years. 

We certainly still need more in, but so far if you compare the dealings already done with any summer transfer window under Canning, I think we surpassed all of them already, and a big reason for that was what Alston said in his interview, when said a big reason for coming here was to work under Rice. No player would ever say that about Canning, so much so he had to go into the depths of eastern Europe and further where nobody knew who he was.

Youd imagine Rice will have a decent idea of what hes getting with Alston, so feels a bit pointless giving an opinion.

Anyway, always thought he was a good footballer, has a natural ability to make late runs and is clearly technically sound. Think Kyle nailed it by saying he'd be best as a "10", as he cant be trusted defensively. 

No ill towards him, sometimes things just dont work out.

Alston isn't Saints level and I'm very glad he's gone, that's the truth of the matter. Good luck to the lad, he tries hard, just isn't very good at much apart from hitting from distance, that's not enough at this level imo.

Edit; he's too fucking ugly as well.

Edited by tree house tam

4 hours ago, Laid-back Accie said:

I think all in all this is a decent signing, experienced with the Scottish game and has played at this level for 3 years. 

We certainly still need more in, but so far if you compare the dealings already done with any summer transfer window under Canning, I think we surpassed all of them already, and a big reason for that was what Alston said in his interview, when said a big reason for coming here was to work under Rice. No player would ever say that about Canning, so much so he had to go into the depths of eastern Europe and further where nobody knew who he was.

Still a lot of selective memories when it comes to Martin Canning - I wonder if Ziggy Gordon, Tony Andreu or James Keatings knew who Canning was?

1 hour ago, yummy fur said:

Still a lot of selective memories when it comes to Martin Canning - I wonder if Ziggy Gordon, Tony Andreu or James Keatings knew who Canning was?

What about James Keatings? Poor signing by all accounts. Andreu and Gordon were alright this season yes, and played their part in keeping us up, but those small positives are heavily outweighed by the amount of sheer dross that Canning brought in.

I think the point was more to do with players coming because of Canning. A few of our signings did say Canning's words attracted them to the club, and Ziggy said it was "a no brainer to play for that man."

19 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

At least he's played at this level and been fairly competent, unlike a few of last seasons English jobbers.

The 'English jobbers' did not bad last season imo.

Aaron McGowan

Mickel Miller

Gary Woods

Steven Davies

Matt Kilgallon

I'll give you Bingham though.

Also if the club can bring Ziggy back I'd go as far as making him Club Captain.

He was always meant to be our captain before he made the dreadful mistake of going to Partick. 

Now Imrie is gone it basically means Mackinnon will be captain despite him rejecting the position in the past.

I also think if Ziggy were to stay he would be playing pretty much every single game.

I cannot say the same for Mackinnon. 

He came knowing he is no longer our number 1 RB but never greeted about it like most other footballers these days.

Jumped into CB and adapted spectacularly. 

Make it happen Maitland.

image.png.bac1fe12ac24e9574152248591d208f0.png

16 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

The 'English jobbers' did not bad last season imo.

Aaron McGowan

Mickel Miller

Gary Woods

Steven Davies

Matt Kilgallon

I'll give you Bingham though.

Alex Penny, Mason Bloomfield, yon boy Smith an d I'm sure there was someone else who didn't even out of last summer's window before being punted.

Pretty mixed hit rate I'd say!

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Alex Penny, Mason Bloomfield, yon boy Smith an d I'm sure there was someone else who didn't even out of last summer's window before being punted.

Penny was Welsh, Bloomfield scored us a winner that without the points would've put is into 11th. 

There was a few but our Starting XI for most of the season had more English players than Scottish.

Last season we got it right with the English players. 

A few did flop but our English players were better than our Scottish players last season. 

Adam Phillips was the one who lasted about a week. Never forget Sam Kelly.