~The Sixth Sense~ Hamilton Academical 2019/2020 Thread

Adedoyin looked really poor (although I think he might be behind on pre-season), Collar was invisible and Southwood, while rarely tested, looked decent when called upon.

Jack Breen was the best player on the park: great first touch, good vision, really confident and a good passer. Purely based on what I've seen this season, I'd have him ahead of Mimnaugh in the pecking order, however their roles are pretty different.

I wouldn't imagine so. Breen will probably get a spot on the bench though.
The back four all played well, but I don't think any of them will solve our defensive issues and the best of the bunch hasn't got a look in under Rice.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I wouldn't imagine so. Breen will probably get a spot on the bench though.
The back four all played well, but I don't think any of them will solve our defensive issues and the best of the bunch hasn't got a look in under Rice.

I presume that is Stanger or McCann you are referring to?

I would rather give the likes of Stanger/Winter a chance than the likes of Son of Stubbs or that Everton kid if push comes to shove at the moment.

15 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Stubbs confirmed.

Seems to come with a decent pedigree, impressing in a Notts County side that was relegated from L2.

I saw him playing for Notts last season when they played Crawley. He was a stand out and clearly far too good for league two. Given some other league two players have done well in Scotland I would say he could be a pretty good signing.

As much as they were playing a pub team it was very enjoyable watching the colts/youths in full flow last night.

Jack Breen was fantastic and Leon McCann impressed again. Actually looking forward to watching them against Airdrie next week.

The boy from Everton was shocking constantly throwing himself to the ground then getting booked for it. Hopefully can buck up his ideas.

Had a random thought that I'm glad the worst thing that can happen to us this season is relegation to the Championship. 

Put this team in the Championship and it will struggle badly. 

This is the least optimistic I have ever been going into a season. 

Hope Rice makes me eat my words but honestly I'd say most of the Championship squads are better than ours. 

What have the board being doing with the Premiership £££'s?

We have been getting over a million a season in prize money for 6 seasons yet we see pretty much none of that returned into the first team. 

If relegation occurs questions must be asked.

What do folk think after today then? Steadied the ship a bit? Certainly our defence looked much better with Stubbs in and great to see Smith continuing to perform up top.

With St J, Livvy, St Mirren and maybe Killie looking poor, there are some tiny green shoots of encouragement. . .

Some points from the forum:

• The club have taken measures to avoid another Ferguson scenario - longer contracts for youth players and if I heard correctly, the club have the option to trigger extensions. 
  • Maitland doesn't like developing other teams' players (i.e. the loan market) but will do it if necessary. 
  • His comments on Adedoyin were eerily similar to what Ronnie said about Kozo before he got the bullet. 
  • McGonigal was brought in to help with recruitment but his vision wasn't in line with the club. Reading between the lines, he wanted to delve into the foreign market which others were less keen on. 
  • Rice identifies positions he wants (and I'd imagine players) while the analysts (Keith Glendinning and another guy) and Maitland help him out. 
  • At the start of the window, they wanted three CBs: Easton and McKenna were first choice and they wanted an experienced one as the third player. They've been trying for one all summer but issues, mainly budgetary, meant they haven't managed to get one so went for Stubbs (who was identified at the start). I don't think we'll sign another. 
  • They're still trying to claw back the scammed money (which was confirmed as £800K or thereabouts) but I'd be v surprised if they got it. 
  • Maitland spoke about wanting to bring two random season ticket holders into the Directors Box for every home game, which sounds like a good idea but will go to pot once some bozo makes a mess of it. 

I might have missed info out but have tried to cover what I can remember. 

• His comments on Adedoyin were eerily similar to what Ronnie said about Kozo before he got the bullet. 
  • McGonigal was brought in to help with recruitment but his vision wasn't in line with the club. Reading between the lines, he wanted to delve into the foreign market which others were less keen on.
  • At the start of the window, they wanted three CBs: Easton and McKenna were first choice and they wanted an experienced one as the third player. They've been trying for one all summer but issues, mainly budgetary, meant they haven't managed to get one so went for Stubbs (who was identified at the start). I don't think we'll sign another.

•  

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Adedoyin is sent packing unless his attitude and play acting antics are swiftly dropped at the Airdrie game.

The mcgonigal point will be sheer nonsense IMO. Something else in that, the club have been happy to go foreign many times before.

I heard the opposite about the CB point that we could still see one come in but it’s more likely to be at the end of August similar to Kilgallon when all other better paid options haven’t taken them on.

On 08/08/2019 at 23:40, Im_Rodger said:

Had a random thought that I'm glad the worst thing that can happen to us this season is relegation to the Championship. 

Put this team in the Championship and it will struggle badly. 

This is the least optimistic I have ever been going into a season. 

Hope Rice makes me eat my words but honestly I'd say most of the Championship squads are better than ours. 

What have the board being doing with the Premiership £££'s?

We have been getting over a million a season in prize money for 6 seasons yet we see pretty much none of that returned into the first team. 

If relegation occurs questions must be asked.

This was a bit doom and gloom.

Stubbs was the CB we've been crying out for. 

Gogic looked so much better as a midfielder today instead of a defender. 

We would pump the diddy league if we were in it.

That is why we are a Premiership club and will remain so for eternity. 

5 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Adedoyin not even in squad for u21s tonight. Reckon he will be back at Everton soon.

Attitude problem and  a bad apple's is the word on the grapevine along with telling senior players what he is on down South(allegedly £4k weekly but find that hard to believe).