~The Sixth Sense~ Hamilton Academical 2019/2020 Thread

McGowan as well. Maybe sent as punishment for his abysmal performance on Saturday.

Although I wouldn’t call gourlay experienced since he’s just a stop gap to sit on the bench while Fulton is injured.
Meant McGowan and not McMann.

Essentially a development squad, but aye, not great. Rice wasn't there either, he's at the Ross County game.
In an attempt to put a somewhat positive spin on what we've seen so far, it must be painfully obvious to Rice/Maitland where we are short and hopefully our lacklustre start will be the motivation needed to bring in some more bodies. Better than we have already obviously, but that's a lot easier said than done.
Is Boyd injured too or just surplus to requirements? I don't think he's been in any squad so far.

Kilwinning didn't field their strongest team either. Hamilton defending wasn't clever.

Essentially a development squad, but aye, not great. Rice wasn't there either, he's at the Ross County game.
In an attempt to put a somewhat positive spin on what we've seen so far, it must be painfully obvious to Rice/Maitland where we are short and hopefully our lacklustre start will be the motivation needed to bring in some more bodies. Better than we have already obviously, but that's a lot easier said than done.
Is Boyd injured too or just surplus to requirements? I don't think he's been in any squad so far.

An unreliable, rather daft man told me that Boyd isn't getting paid by Accies anymore but is still allowed to train at the club.

I thought the team that started tonight featured five or six who could be argued for our best XI, but while I didn't see the game tonight, the result's rather embarrassing for them.

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not a fan of our third kit tbh

20190725_222356.jpg

Really ........ What the actual f**k ...

FFS Accies , does anybody check the photos the club post ....

Edited by G51 Red

This is pathetic we look technically poorer than lower division opposition McMann has spent 45 mins getting his pants pulled down by Airdrie united these guys are proving thereselves to be not good enough for professional top flight football like Grant Gillesbe and Darren Lyon 

Right, so... the Betfred group stages (DISCLAIMER: Long post):

Rice has changed formation a lot. He's actually quite good at doing it in-game, but the fact he has to show that suggests he's not great at doing so in preparation. Pre-season was dominated by a 3-5-2, however he's gone with a range of back four formations since the QP game. The wing-backs and strikers suit a 3-5-2, however our midfield options are so poor that it would be unwise to pick three of them. 

We've been very direct, which I've not really got a problem with if it works. However, more bodies are needed closer to Ogkmpoe/Oakley/Davies if it's going to be successful.

Everyone is in agreement that we need a CB, preferably a left-footed one. Easton, Gogic, McKenna and Want have all been given starts there and, rather surprisingly, Easton and McKenna look like his preferred starters. McKenna's had bad games and OK games and I worry about him against Premiership opposition. He's decent in the air and quite quick, but he seems to get flustered too easily. Gogic looks marginally better in midfield than at CB, and Want isn't very good. Is it worrying that Fjortoft is fifth choice at the moment, or is he just getting a chance to bed in?

McGowan and McMann are the first choice full-backs. The former was awful in the Betfred and McMann, while looking a bit better going forward, has perhaps got worse defensively and on the ball. 

I've got a lot to say about the midfielders so will bullet point them. As a whole , Rice has tried all sorts in there and not much has come off. A diamond with a winger on one side of it has been quite successful though. 

• MacKinnon has been v sloppy. He is apparently playing with a knock, to be fair. 
  • Alston is talented but anonymous. Won't create much. 
  • If you want to play Mimnaugh then play him in a deep two or the deepest of a three. Also, there's no point in him playing in a direct team. Good passer and good at building from the back. His deficiencies out of possession could mean he doesn't get much of a chance to play deeper. 
  • Hunt apparently looked good in midfield during pre-season, however was shite there against QP. Could still be an option. 
  • I like Martin but does he solve our issues? He will make things more solid against better teams though. 
  • Collar is anyone's guess, but doesn't sound like a creative midfielder. 
  • I'm beginning to worry that Gogic is our best option to play the holding role. 

Up front is weird: Oakley can do everything but nothing particularly well, Marios is great for a chaos factor but often doesn't resemble a footballer, Davies is the best finisher and footballer out of the lot but shouldn't be starting games due to his poor off-the-ball play, and Miller has been in and out of the team far too often for a player with his talent (Rice is completely justified in doing so though). I think this is the first summer since 14/15 that we haven't been in desperate need of a striker, and I think between them they'll do alright, albeit on limited service. Ogkmpoe and Miller v Clyde is the only time that anyone has looked like a partnership and they also showed promising signs in the Raith friendly. 

Cunningham and Smith have been bright sparks. The former reminds me of Boyd: decent player, goes missing a lot, but capable of occasionally doing something brilliant. I don't think he'll make much of a contribution. Smith is promising and looks like he'll be really exciting when in the mood. He lacked confidence today though. 

And breathe...

Great summary Accies 1874 cant disagree with any of that.

Even Stevie Wonder can see that we need to sort defence out. We had the worst defensive record last year and after losing Ziggy, Kilgannon and Woods, unless something is done soon we are going to lose even more resulting in relegation. Simples.

What does worry me is the kiss of death from radio Scotland pundits yesterday. All of them predicted St Mirren and Livingston to finish in bottom 2. Not one thought Accies would finish in bottom 2; now that is a first

August fixtures:-

03/08/2019 

Ross County VS Hamilton Academical 

Ladbrokes Premiership

10/08/2019

Hamilton Academical VS Kilmarnock 

Ladbrokes Premiership

17or18/08/2019

Kilmarnock VS Hamilton Academical 

Betfred Cup

24/08/2019

Hamilton Academical VS Motherwell 

Ladbrokes Premiership

31/08/2019

Heart of Midlothian VS Hamilton Academical

Ladbrokes Premiership

He's one who will probably split opinion between Accies fans but I liked him and would take him over our current left wing back McMann any day. Not the greatest of footballers but he's a good athlete and pretty quick. He covered at centre half for us a couple of times and I thought he looked quite composed there.He does have the odd stinker though.