~The Sixth Sense~ Hamilton Academical 2019/2020 Thread

Midfield are all coming to feet which is just making things predictable and pedestrian, and the defensive line is all over the place. Only pre-season so it's probably best to look at individuals rather than the team's performance:
- Hamilton probably won't play any games this season - just looks awkward.
- Hunt seems alright
- Alston's a nice player who'd be decent chipping in with a more creative player ahead of him, but we're reliant on him.
- Cunningham and Hughes have been ineffective.

Team is:

OFW
McG McKenna Hamilton Hunt McMann
Alston Mimnaugh Hughes
Oakley Cunningham

It's a friendly so we can't read to much into it, however conceding 3 goals in the first half of any football match is always going raise eyebrows.

Defence was our biggest problem last year, and the problems look like they're still there despite different players, obviously that probably won't be the defence that we use in our competitive fixtures, but I hope rice is focusing a lot on this, as it will bring us down hard if he doesn't.

I wasn't at the game, but reading the updates and comments of others, sounds like OFW wasn't great which worries me, again just a friendly, but we are obviously a team that needs consistency between the sticks, Woods may have not been the best we've had but he was reliable.

It's a friendly so we can't read to much into it, however conceding 3 goals in the first half of any football match is always going raise eyebrows.
Defence was our biggest problem last year, and the problems look like they're still there despite different players, obviously that probably won't be the defence that we use in our competitive fixtures, but I hope rice is focusing a lot on this, as it will bring us down hard if he doesn't.
I wasn't at the game, but reading the updates and comments of others, sounds like OFW wasn't great which worries me, again just a friendly, but we are obviously a team that needs consistency between the sticks, Woods may have not been the best we've had but he was reliable.
Apart from the pen OFW did fine.

1 hour ago, Laid-back Accie said:

Accies could have been up by three if the chances had gone in, I was surprised that we bossed the first half after your good start.

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Accies could have been up by three if the chances had gone in, I was surprised that we bossed the first half after your good start.

Hit the bar twice in the first half if memory serves me right. They had plenty of good opportunities. 

Second half was much better as there was a wee bit more energy and directness in the midfield. A few more spaces opened up down the flanks and we actually had some players on the park who could expose that.
Hunt looked alright. He did better than Easton in the same role.
McKenna was neither here nor there, IMO.
OFW will be the exact same as Woods, even copying his erratic kicking.
A midfield of Alston, Hughes and Mimnaugh should never be seen again, although I think MacKinnon for Hughes will be the first choice midfield. They all showed their individual qualities, but they're too similar to play together. Hughes was rubbish in the first half but improved when moved to the deepest of a midfield three. I don't think we'll see much of him though.
Miller and Oakley looked pretty sharp.
I don't recall ever seeing Jack Breen before, but his cameo impressed me the most from all the youngsters.

I appreciate none of this really matters, but I think we learned that Rice fancies a back three with a left-back at CB and a ball-player deepest of the midfield three. A biggun up front with someone pacey beside him. Quite similar to England from the 2018 WC. That could've just been for tonight though.

On 01/07/2019 at 16:23, Im_Rodger said:

Serious question how do St Mirren have more money than us?

Fan run club that has been down in the Championship the past few years.

Stadium in an absolute dump.

How on earth can that be more lucrative than playing for an established Premiership team in the greatest part of Scotland?

Football makes little sense sometimes. 

Pretty sure someone will have replied with a similar answer but not transferring large sums of money to anyone who calls the club office and asks for it is probably one reason.