5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It seemed to me that he was just trying to be positive for the benefit of the players. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it though. Today's been hard enough without internecine fighting.

Looking forward to winning the league by 40 points next season. 

Worked a treat. That was so Stevie Aitkenesque.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

It seemed to me that he was just trying to be positive for the benefit of the players. I'm not going to argue with anyone about it though. Today's been hard enough without internecine fighting.

Looking forward to winning the league by 40 points next season. 

Yeah I can appreciate that. But given how badly our penalties went, there's no escaping that it's a real egg-on-face on moment now.

I'd love to share your optimism in the last part. 

Guest DAVIDB69
Has happened the season straight after the Second World War, and mid90's (1995-96 I think it was).

Oh course it did I forgot about that

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It seemed to me that he was just trying to be positive for the benefit of the players.

Any player who saw him do that will have thought ‘what the f**k is the matter wi him?’ Utterly embarrassing.

Thought he’d be a good appointment, but he now looks on the way to a quick emptying.

Fecking delighted. Well done Oran and the boys. Just want to say the much maligned Duck was excellent today before being harshly red carded. We are all the Duck. Well maybe not but he was immense today before that travesty. I thought all attacking potency was removed with the subs but the Duck did his bit. God speed back to Duckland and thank you! PS, the boys were immense and the goalie was top drawer. SMTID

7 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'd love to share your optimism in the last part. 

Nae point going the other way. It's done now. You either hope for the best or wallow in the misery of defeat. No one's life was ever improved by being a misery guts.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Och, I remember Barcelona losing 2-0 on penalties in a European Cup final. We're in good company.

*cries*

Yes, that's the parallel that crossed my mind.

Barcelona missed all four that they took that night I think.   Quite an achievement.

5 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Fecking delighted. Well done Oran and the boys. Just want to say the much maligned Duck was excellent today before being harshly red carded. We are all the Duck. Well maybe not but he was immense today before that travesty. I thought all attacking potency was removed with the subs but the Duck did his bit. God speed back to Duckland and thank you! PS, the boys were immense and the goalie was top drawer. SMTID

Thought the Saints keeper was terrific in both games. Best I've seen with the ball at his feet, really very impressive. No obvious weaknesses elsewhere either. 

33 minutes ago, MJC said:

The arrogance that United have is staggering, almost Aberdeen levels of "we deserve to be a top three/four side because we were good in the 1980s" and they are egged on by their cheerleaders in the Scottish media to hold these beliefs. That's why it is so satisfying seeing them languish in the lower leagues and knowing that this latest failure to get promotion will be a huge blow to them as they won't be able to sustain paying top flight wages for championship football forever.

No one club has any god given right to win anything or play in any league, it has to be earned and yet again, United have fallen flat on their faces.

Well said.

Dont know about you but... mines is a Guinness!

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nae point going the other way. It's done now. You either hope for the best or wallow in the misery of defeat. No one's life was ever improved by being a misery guts.

Aye, I'm just dispirited by the overall performance and result today. Looking back at Neilson's signings in January, I'd say only Harkes, Butcher and Reynolds have really worked out. So I'm a little apprehensive an wary about who Neilson might bring in for next year; although I do acknowledge the summer window typically offers a much better opportunity to do the kind of squad overhaul Neilson attempted in the winter.

Hopefully the work done in the club's infrastructure these past few months will pay off and we recruit well enough to have a squad raring to go to win the league outright next season.