3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm baffled by many St Johnstone fans the cream de-la-cream of twats in the premiership.  Going by this thread many other clubs fans think the same. We were  shite most of the season Yes. From February 2019 things clicked with new players brought in on January fought their way to survival. St Johnstone in my opinion  have a class manager and chairman. Some not all St Johnstone fans are a strange lot to say the least. 

I made my points a few pages back, many buddies fans disagreed and feel they've just witnessed a great escape this season. Fair enough.  No point going over it all again. 

Hope you enjoyed your Sunday.  Til next season...

Just watched the highlights back on BT catch up there as I was at the game with a friend, and didn’t realise just quite how bad Beatons performance was. 

The penalty I can kind of understand but surely the distance between the players and the speed the ball is going at has to be taken into account. I seen craigkillile posted that Baird sticks his hand out like a goalkeeper but his hand is actually in that position before the ball is struck.  Very harsh. 

Pawletts aerial challenge is a second yellow every time and he should have been sent off. 

Connoly taking down Nazons is so obviously a foul it’s this incident that makes me question Beatons motive.  No experienced official can look at that and say it’s not a foul, the ball doesn’t change direction in any way and Connoly comes in a clips Nazon. 

Nazons red card is just a shambles, and to give that as a straight red after the Pawlett and Safranko challenges is astonishing. 

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Just watched the highlights back on BT catch up there as I was at the game with a friend, and didn’t realise just quite how bad Beatons performance was. 

The penalty I can kind of understand but surely the distance between the players and the speed the ball is going at has to be taken into account. I seen craigkillile posted that Baird sticks his hand out like a goalkeeper but his hand is actually in that position before the ball is struck.  Very harsh. 

Pawletts aerial challenge is a second yellow every time and he should have been sent off. 

Connoly taking down Nazons is so obviously a foul it’s this incident that makes me question Beatons motive.  No experienced official can look at that and say it’s not a foul, the ball doesn’t change direction in any way and Connoly comes in a clips Nazon. 

Nazons red card is just a shambles, and to give that as a straight red after the Pawlett and Safranko challenges is astonishing. 

For me, the penalty is a penalty. I can honestly say if the roles were reversed, I'd be going apeshit if it wasn't given. I thought it was a penalty at the time and on second viewing, I can't defend it. 

The rest though, I fully agree with you. 

To get the two Nazon vs Connolly incidents so spectacularly wrong leaves many still questioning what indeed he was thinking. Connolly doesn't even just clip him, he actually hooks his leg fully behind him to make sure Nazon doesn't get by. There's a defender coming across but even on the very slim chance he gets over, he's left his man fully unmarked with a square ball. It's definitely a second yellow. 

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For me, the penalty is a penalty. I can honestly say if the roles were reversed, I'd be going apeshit if it wasn't given. I thought it was a penalty at the time and on second viewing, I can't defend it. 

That was the reason I said I can understand why it was given, as at the game it looks like a stonewaller. It’s the ambiguity with the handball rule that causes these debates, as we seen in the Champions League this year and referees different interpretations.

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm  

That’s the first line from the section in the laws of the game regarding handballs. Baird didn’t deliberately handle the ball. Infact the vast  vast majority of handballs aren’t deliberate. 

The referee must then consider...

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)  

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean there is an offence

If the rules were applied with these statements in mind then there is no way that this handball can be considered a foul. The actual wording of the ruling has been ignored by commentators for seasons now, and you get them coming out with statements about players making themselves big and unnatural positions. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That was the reason I said I can understand why it was given, as at the game it looks like a stonewaller. It’s the ambiguity with the handball rule that causes these debates, as we seen in the Champions League this year and referees different interpretations.

That’s the first line from the section in the laws of the game regarding handballs. Baird didn’t deliberately handle the ball. Infact the vast  vast majority of handballs aren’t deliberate. 

The referee must then consider...

If the rules were applied with these statements in mind then there is no way that this handball can be considered a foul. The actual wording of the ruling has been ignored by commentators for seasons now, and you get them coming out with statements about players making themselves big and unnatural positions. 

All completely understandable.

Mental that from next season, all of this will be rendered completely moot as any touch of the ball in the box with a hand will apparently = penalty.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Mental that from next season, all of this will be rendered completely moot as any touch of the ball in the box with a hand will apparently = penalty.

It should clear up any confusion with the current rule but I genuinely believe we will end up in the situation where players get into the box and deliberately aim at players hands. 

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Connolly's play acting after Nazon's challenge is embarrassing. At worst Nazon's arm brushes against Connolly's face, no motion towards his face. Connolly collapses holding his face as if he has been slugged by a super-heavyweight. He was blatantly trying to con Beaton and he succeeded. Connolly should be punished retrospectively for this.

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Connolly's play acting after Nazon's challenge is embarrassing. At worst Nazon's arm brushes against Connolly's face, no motion towards his face. Connolly collapses holding his face as if he has been slugged by a super-heavyweight. He was blatantly trying to con Beaton and he succeeded. Connolly should be punished retrospectively for this.

Connolly was already whinging that Nazon had gone in on him late. The first one was bollocks - he jumped into Nazon long after clearing the ball - but the second one was probably a fair shout and I was surprised Nazon didn't get booked. At that point the mics picked up Connolly shouting 'second time' at the ref.

So yeah, Connolly was bound to make a meal of any contact between them. He's a very limited footballer and I don't specifically blame him for playing that way, but given what thin ice he'd been on himself you'd think he'd just crack on with the game.

On 27/05/2019 at 13:08, GAD said:

Matty Willock was another, he's at Man United still, aged 22 and he's fucking shite. He's championship level at best.

Worth mentioning he was a regular in our midfield and looked more than capable, even garnering praise from opposition fans. Seemed very much a player who needed used thebright way though.

On 27/05/2019 at 15:34, Valentino Bolognese said:

There are Arabs in my office that, today, are back to the 'they have to make the league bigger' argument because, apparently, the SPL "just can't ignore" the enormous crowds that the Dundee Uniteds and Dunfermlines of the world generate.  To do so is apparently "unsustainable".

So yes, they are in effect arguing for promotion by way of gate size rather than actual performance. 

They're on Twitter claiming they're our biggest away crowd and we need them to stay afloat. 

Have to wonder if they're actually aware its 3 years since they played at McDiarmid and we've miraculously survived. 

Is Reynolds and Connolly United's regular defensive pairing? I appreciate we only managed one goal against them over the two games but they looked horrendous. Reynolds was at fault for our goal and Connolly just looked a mess. Surely better than that will be needed to win the Championship next season?

I was going to make a comment about sending them to the glue factory but Connolly is only 27 - I assumed he was about 10 years older and heading for the end of his career.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning he was a regular in our midfield and looked more than capable, even garnering praise from opposition fans. Seemed very much a player who needed used thebright way though.

I think with him it was a case of right player, wrong time. Any one or two of the duds that we got rid of in January might have been ok as part of a better, more coherent squad - as Willock was with you. It was asking too much to get all those strangers to gel instantly when the atmosphere was so toxic. Obviously Kearney came in and decided he wanted a clearout and Willock was the bathwater that got chucked out with the babies - King, Kpekawa, Edwards, Heaton, Coulson, etc.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is Reynolds and Connolly United's regular defensive pairing? I appreciate we only managed one goal against them over the two games but they looked horrendous. Reynolds was at fault for our goal 

You can imagine them being ok at Championship level, though I felt Connolly was dragging Reynolds down a bit. If I found out we were signing Reynolds I wouldn't be totally distraught.

Interesting to note that I think Cody Cooke gets the slightest of touches on the ball on the way through to Reynolds which I think lifts it very slightly and causes the complete sclaff that Mullen takes advantage of. Not an excuse, but still, I think Reynolds wasn't completely awful. 

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

As I understand it, it'll only be a penalty if the defender gains an advantage from the handball - whether he means to touch the ball or not will be neither here nor there.

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was going to make a comment about sending them to the glue factory but Connolly is only 27 - I assumed he was about 10 years older and heading for the end of his career.

He was a million pound player as a teenager, would you believe. Derek McInnes had him sussed. Brought him in on loan, he started one game, got hooked at half-time and was never seen again. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're on Twitter claiming they're our biggest away crowd and we need them to stay afloat. 

Have to wonder if they're actually aware its 3 years since they played at McDiarmid and we've miraculously survived. 

Very Rangersy IMO.