1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Divs contribution is pretty understated but English gets a bit of a hounding in that thread for me. Doesnt really make his point well at all.

We can all understand I think where English is coming from as regards to the Premiership team winning the playoff, but he really didnt come across well and took a skelping as a result

He did. But when the sponsors (not the club, not the players that he seems to have issue with) roll out a banner saying 'Winners' for a publicity photo op, it's a bit fucking dimwitted to claim that the players shouldn't be celebrating in front of it as they aren't winners. I think his belief is that players should shun it and retreat back into the changing rooms slightly ashamed of themselves.

Some of the best celebrations I've ever seen on the telly are by teams scraping their way out of relegation with last kicks of the game. But he wouldn't know anything about that, he's a rugger boy. Fitba's no really his thing.

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
11 hours ago, Doakes said:

From where we were under Stubbs it was a fantastic achievement to stay up. Well worth a pitch invasion. McCoist was loving it in the BT box 

He's big pals with Gus so will have been loving it.

Alex Rae, while continuing to offer little as a pundit, was actually not that bad yesterday either. Also, massive credit to BT for sticking with the celebrations. I was expecting a cut to adverts, 30 seconds' analysis and then end of show.

Yes must admit Coisty and Rae came across OK and BT did a good job to include much more than sky often do when it is what they term a parochial match

9 hours ago, Snafu said:

Another great escape by the Paisley Saints. Last time this happened the team went on to win the league the following season. Should we be talking now about St Mirren as potential Scottish Champions by that logic next season?

Congrats Saints. :thumsup2

Thank you, isn't it nice just to be nice?  appreciated considering some of the nastiness aimed at the buddies who are just a team trying to do their best.

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:
9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:
But the thing is, every team who is near the bottom of the league, in just about any league, can highlight some form of shambles behind the scenes.  Accies, the club with one of the lowest budgets around, had hundreds of thousands nicked out of their bank account. Livi played a season with pretty much the same team that got them promoted from league one, had the Kenny miler debacle earlydoors and still did fine.  
Kearney took over at the start of September, when you'd qualified for the knockout stages of the league cup and had a league record of 1 win and 3 defeats. Poor, but continuing at that ratio would still have seen you finish a few points ahead of the bottom club.
In Kearney's first game in charge, didn't st Mirren draw 0-0 with Brendan Rodgers' Celtic?  So as bad as Stubbs' squad were, they obviously weren't completely hopeless.

At the end of the day, the club stayed up, which is the important thing for them and the support.  But I'm just not going to be buying a copy of the 'Miracle Survival, St Mirren's Battle to Overcome the Odds 2018-19' DVD when it comes out.  

I suspect they don’t really give a f**k if you’ll be buying the dvd.

It’s an explosion of emotion after a pretty horrible season. It’s what footballs about and frankly the objective view of a st Johnstone or Aberdeen fan about what the acceptable level of celebration is doesn’t really matter.

Well said sir, some people?

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Well this is clearly shite.  You haven't finished above 8th since the mid 1980's.  

FFS. Yes he's shite, as a manager and a pundit, but this is just guff that you're pedalling to try to convince yourself that finishing above the worst Premiership club in years and winning a play-off over an average championship club on penalties is in some way a great achievement.

And, again, not a criticism of the players celebrating, as I can understand the relief they must have felt.

So your point is? what exactly?

17 minutes ago, Cerberus said:
19 minutes ago, jaybeee said:
So your point is? what exactly?

“Pipe doon. St Murn are shite.”

Actually old boy/ lassie, ah wis talking tae the organ grinder; no the monkey

This is some thread this. Perhaps the worst set of pens i've seen in a play off?St Mirren keeper saved more pens in the play off than Craig Gordon has in his entire career! OK seems like a very very decent guy where as Neilson is a horrible character. 

3 hours ago, killiemilan said:

This is some thread this. Perhaps the worst set of pens i've seen in a play off?St Mirren keeper saved more pens in the play off than Craig Gordon has in his entire career! OK seems like a very very decent guy where as Neilson is a horrible character. 

I actually thought it was the best set of penalties I’ve ever seen. Easy the Mirren. Might stick a quid with Bet365 on the outcome of next season’s Dundee derbies - if I can be arsed betting on second tier shite....

I think the celebrations and staying in the premier league are connected. Without that level of desire, willingness and emotion St Mirren wouldn't have got through. 

A team only prepared to mildly celebrate staying up wouldn't have won. The premiership side has to be as committed and emotional as the side chasing promotion. Once it is the final it has to be treated as a one off tie. 

I thought it was an amazing achievement especially after the way the events transpired against them during the game. 

I watched the entire game on a YouTube feed while on holiday here in the Canadian Rockies. It was nerve-wracking watching from afar, rather than from my usual seat in the Paisley Twenny-Twenny-Wan Simple Digital St Mirren Park Arena Theatre of Bad Dreams... I celebrated like a madman. Reason? We were fucked with those chunts Stubbs & Jackson around, and the loss of Jack Ross was a real blow to begin with. Oran Kearney, an unknown quantity, proved himself up to the task, and from where we were - he has performed something close to a miracle. The quality of player signed in January, allied to Stubbs shite being shipped out - a superb turnaround.

If we had went down after one season, we could easily be the next ‘Falkirk or Partick’ - fucked.

It is an achievement worthy of celebration - for the manager, players, staff, supporters, and the town.

COYS.

Edited by pozbaird

6 hours ago, Neilfs said:

I think the celebrations and staying in the premier league are connected. Without that level of desire, willingness and emotion St Mirren wouldn't have got through. 

A team only prepared to mildly celebrate staying up wouldn't have won. The premiership side has to be as committed and emotional as the side chasing promotion. Once it is the final it has to be treated as a one off tie. 

I thought it was an amazing achievement especially after the way the events transpired against them during the game. 

That's an excellent post and a very good point.

What English doesn't seem to understand is that, when  the normal season ends, the team that finishes 11th are no longer a Premiership team.

They, along with teams 2-4 in the championship, are all fighting for the last spot in the top flight - albeit in a format skewed towards the Premiership team.

The prize was the same for United as it was for Saints.

It'a a big prize, and it seems bizarre that people would complain about the winners celebrating.

Edited by Bobby_F

14 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

What English doesn't seem to understand, is that when  the normal season ends, the team that finishes 11th are no longer a Premiership team.

They, along with teams 2-4 in the championship, are all fighting for the last spot in the top flight - albeit in a format skewed towards the Premiership team.

The prize was the same for United as it was for Saints.

It'a a big prize, and it seems bizarre that people would complain about the winners celebrating.

He's a fud. Faux outrage keeps them in work. Look at Sutton.

Edited by Crawford
Removed profanity. Swearing is beneath one's self.

On 27/05/2019 at 12:37, PauloPerth said:

So absolutely out of their depth that they got a penalty shootout victory over killie in Betfred group stages, and beat Dundee on the first day of the season.  Also managed a draw with the treble treble (double treble at the time) winners in Kearney's first game in charge. 

But you keep kidding yourself that your Jossie's Giants have just pulled off the greatest footballing miracle of all time.

There are stats that provide a clear picture on the worst Premiership team in years.  St Mirren are undoubtedly shite, but it's not them.

I'm baffled by many St Johnstone fans the cream de-la-cream of twats in the premiership.  Going by this thread many other clubs fans think the same. We were  shite most of the season Yes. From February 2019 things clicked with new players brought in on January fought their way to survival. St Johnstone in my opinion  have a class manager and chairman. Some not all St Johnstone fans are a strange lot to say the least. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm baffled by many St Johnstone fans the cream de-la-cream of twats in the premiership.  Going by this thread many other clubs fans think the same. We were  shite most of the season Yes. From February 2019 things clicked with new players brought in on January fought their way to survival. St Johnstone in my opinion  have a class manager and chairman. Some not all St Johnstone fans are a strange lot to say the least. 

Got three of the fuds on ignore,  painful reading when people quote them.

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Their primary gripe here is we have had a well publicised "day in the sun" for winning the play off yet they finished 7th and have been roundly ignored. Just not box office enough I'm afraid, the fake tractor drivers.