10 minutes ago, resk said:
18 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:
I thought it was a penalty personally, but can understand arguments against in claims that his momentum and balance to throw himself into the block meant his arms came out. Against that, by diving in like that you make yourself bigger and gain an advantage by blocking it with your hand.
I'm beginning to agree with calls for the law to be black and white: if a ball hits a defenders hand in the box it's a penalt, regardless of deliberate or accidental.  Will be harsh at times, but it's consistent and take away all the dubiety.

I get this argument but I think the dubiety is brought on by referees reacting to situations (especially arsehole fans shouting "handball" every time the ball is in the air anywhere near a defender in the box) and deciding they're going to do something memorable. The handball has to be deliberate to be a foul and the ref can take "natural/unnatural position" into account but ultimately he has to use the balance of probabilities to guess whether it's deliberate or not. In situations like that I think the ref should err on the side of letting the game flow and not penalising a team when they can't be sure. I guess maybe Beaton was certain it was deliberate handball, difficult to see how though.

The decision was going to be "memorable" regardless of what Beaton did. If he hadn't given it you'd have Dundee United fans on here claiming he'd denied them a stonewaller.

1 minute ago, AngusTheBull said:

I think it was in the region of 400k. Someone may correct me on that however

You paid the same initial fee for him after a shite season and his knee had exploded, as Sheffield Wednesday did after his 30 goal season...

1 minute ago, AngusTheBull said:

I think it was in the region of 400k. Someone may correct me on that however

Wow didn’t realise you had paid that much that’s around 67 grand per league goal. Compared to Cosgrove as well.