Feels to me like a manager sticking with his "big name" signing and hoping he'll come good rather than accepting what's actually happening on the pitch. I've been less  critical of Sow than others but he looked a total carthorse at times last night.
I've bizarrely seen a lot of praise for him from some Utd fans on Twitter (not for the first time this season).

47 minutes ago, coppola said:

Playing for an hour with our best striker on the bench doesn't seem the soundest of tactics but fully expect Neilson to do it again on Sunday.

Good atmosphere from both sets of fans last night. St Mirren favourites now but no by much.

Agree Saints just about favourites but not by much. Another tense affair waits. United and Saints have very good goalkeepers me thinks a scrappy goal will win it. 

31 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

FFS. Leave the central defence alone.  Five clean sheets in the last six games and the only goal we have conceded was a direct free kick in the meaningless game against Morton. The defence is better than it's been in years (not saying a great deal, tbf). Frans hasn't played for about four months and wasn't particularly impressive when did play.

Connolly's a laibility and a disaster waiting to happen.

(St. Mirren fan in post above saying as much)

Edited by Steven W

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

He was very close to losing the plot right in front of us last night, not a good sign when you have an important away game coming up.

*Hopes Saints get another playing against 10 men boost* :whistle

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Was that your first time seeing him last night, Steven?

Nope. Seen him a few times and thought this before. 

(I get a disaster waiting to happen is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't actually happen!)

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Tell this to fat w**k in the united shed making the Nazi right hand salute last night. 

Is that what he was doing?  Saw him making gestures up towards us and got pelters back then a few folk pointing and shouting scum at him

Nazis in Dundee :unsure:

2 hours ago, Dele said:

What does the guy Harkes actually bring to the team, btw? 

Him and Pawlett bring absolutely nothing to United IMO.  In the game in Inverness last week, they barely had a touch.  It passed them by.  I kept an eye on Harkes in particular last night and he doesn't do anything.

36 minutes ago, Steven W said:

(St. Mirren fan in post above saying as much)

From what I've seen of united, I'd be looking to attack both fullbacks in the home game, Connolly and to a lesser extent Reynolds look suspect, Robson (I think) was struggling against McAllister so maybe something we can exploit. Think playing 2 up top at home will cause more problems, Cody was a bit isolated

33 minutes ago, meadowroadsaint said:

He was very close to losing the plot right in front of us last night, not a good sign when you have an important away game coming up.

*Hopes Saints get another playing against 10 men boost* :whistle

That was what disappointed me most - we should have targeted him, put him under pressure, but the game was so finely poised, I can see why Oran didn't want to change anything. It would likely have involved going two-up-front.

Having seen Neilson make changes that rendered United utterly toothless, perhaps he was worried we'd hand the initiative back.

Either way, as @Doakes has said, I hope we go two up front from the start. Let's chase the game in the first 30 minutes - not panic in the last 30 and decide to chase it then.

Just catching up on the thread and enjoying the usual P&B, televised-game-neutral-fan bingo. Two rotten teams, neither deserve to win, 2 hours of my life I wont get back, xplayer is never a professional footballer, etc. Although on that last one, Connolly at times did resemble that mate we all have who has always been a rugby player but fills in at fives sometimes.

My thoughts in last night from a United point of view

It was great to see that many fans at Tannadice again. I thought we were noisier against ICT, but the goals in that game help lift things.

It was obvious Neilson had told them to keep it tight, while I understand that we are a better team when we attack quicker. 

This passing along the back, Siegrist to Reynolds, to Connelly, to Reynolds to...anybody as its an aimless punt (or Connelly to Reynolds to Connelly etc) is bloody infuriating.

The number of times we ignored someone in space and turned back into trouble was annoying too.

Osman Sow, the man, the enigma! You can see the ability at times at others enough said. However as my mate at the game pointed out when Sow went off that was the start of St. Mirren getting more of a foothold, or at least use putting less pressure on them. When he was on the ball was played to his feet or chest mostly, where held on to it and found a team mate. When Safranko came on the ball was launched in the air almost everytime where it seem to come right back to us. While I hope Safranko starts on Sunday we need to be less predictable.

Pawlett was poor in an attacking sense. Too many clever passes or flicks that didn't come off.  He did however seem to be playing a lot deeper than I would like helping out Robson. He won his fair share of tackles. This was noticable when Stanton replaced him as we lost that dig that Pawlett had.

Watson has been receiving some criticism, but I thought he was OK. He is a centreback playing rightback so is naturally more defensive minded. Some of the criticism has been that he should have been driving forward more, but on these occasions McMullan was standing beside his marker making no run at all when he had space to do so and Watson was obviously wanting him to do so.  He was wary of going forward because there were a few times he was left with his and McMullan's man.

McMullan should never have been moved inside.

I though the last 20 minutes was some of the worst play from us in the last couple of months, BUT I've softened a bit since last night. Neilson playing the long game knowing a defeat at home could be game over,  I sensed a lot of nervousness from our players, which they might not feel away from home.

I know we can play better, St Mirren fans probably feel the same. The 2nd leg surely won't be as cagey as no one would want to settle it via penalties? On to Sunday and lets hope they give everything they've got.

13 hours ago, Dele said:

Allan Preston : "Watching that tonight, St Mirren are the better players they showed that.. but let me tell you, after watching that tonight, United will fancy it on Sunday" 

:wacko:

I can't believe any one pays him to comment. That voice of his too  ...

9 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I am equally confused by these two replies.

A DAB was lifted last night after making Nazi salutes towards the Middens all game.

So I am now confused after you have said you have read the thread, but have no idea what I am talking about. 

You should of bit down harder on that tablet in your bunker, it hasn't had full effect.