Pie and Bovril's environmental credentials

17 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

Carbon footprint of that surely bigger than a tube of toothpaste.

How? :unsure:

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Do you chew them? 

Yep, crunch one up and brush as normal. Creates a foam similar to normal toothpaste.

Currently in the process of building an eco house of sorts. Planning permission is due to be applied for next week.

House will be a timber framed unit pre built in Estonia and then shipped over in sections. Builder reckons it'll be wind and water tight in two days and will be insulated within an inch of its life!

Applied for an interest free loan through the Scottish Energy Trust which will cover the cost of an air sink that will heat the property through underfloor heating as well as solar panels to provide hot water. Also looking to store the run off which will be used to flush the toilet.

This sounds very exciting - progress pics please!
Will try and upload initial drawings tomorrow although they are very basic as they are only for planning consent.

It's going to take a couple of months for the planning application to go through (fingers crossed) and another 3 months for the kit to be constructed in Estonia so the build won't start until around September/October if it all goes to plan. Will post updates (If I remember)

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:

Will try and upload initial drawings tomorrow although they are very basic as they are only for planning consent.

It's going to take a couple of months for the planning application to go through (fingers crossed) and another 3 months for the kit to be constructed in Estonia so the build won't start until around September/October if it all goes to plan. Will post updates (If I remember)

How does the cost compare to a similarly sized standard new build, or an old house?

Pretty well to be honest. For a two double bedroomed house the kit is £75,000. That includes triple glazing, all your insulation and a roof!

Of course you need to factor in the cost of foundations, kitchens and bathrooms, plumbers, electricians, plasterers ect, as well as connections to the water and electricity supply.

Budget I'm working with is £120,000. I'm lucky as I didn't have to buy the land (gifted to me) which has probably saved another £40,000 or so.

36 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Pretty well to be honest. For a two double bedroomed house the kit is £75,000. That includes triple glazing, all your insulation and a roof!

Of course you need to factor in the cost of foundations, kitchens and bathrooms, plumbers, electricians, plasterers ect, as well as connections to the water and electricity supply.

Budget I'm working with is £120,000. I'm lucky as I didn't have to by the land (gifted to me) which has probably saved another £40,000 or so.

Much less than I thought. All the best with it, sounds great!

22 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
23 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:
We (me & the wife) do our bit and improving week by week.
  • Recycling, we separate pretty much everything we can into the right bins and make good use of our local recycling plant for glass, bulbs, batteries etc.
  • Our landfill bin is minimal. 
  • When we go shopping (which I detest) we use our own plastic free bags and try and purchase products that are plastic free. We buy cans and glass which we rinse after use and before recycling.
  • We buy from farmers markets fairly regularly.
  • Read the labels. Palm oil is vile. We avoid products that contain palm oil (which is challenging). Producers/manufacturers need to wake up on this issue and soon.
  • We eat vegetarian 2-3 times a week,  A fair bit of quorn and all meat we buy is organic,  Hated this at first but now really enjoy it.
  • Another big aye up for Lush soap and shampoo bars, although I find you're lucky if they last 4-6 weeks.
  • We have a section of the garden left wild to encourage bees and in the middle of building a bug hotel from old widden pallets. We have a pond for the frogs, toads, newts and a few feeding stations for the birds
  • Electricity / Gas is both renewable. Energy saving bulbs in all rooms.
  • Signed up for local beach cleans.
  • Cleaning products are predominantly green with minimal harmful chemicals in them if any at all
  • I'm voting Green because the rest of them are all lying vile b*****ds.
  • There's fucking loads more we do but because its become second nature I can't remember half of it.
Not all positives though. I drive a German 3 litre diesel 4x4 which but already decided the next car will be electric. I use an electric toothbrush and buy conglomerate toothpaste. Many more faults but improving all the time.
At work we have various accreditation for our environmental best practice (ISO 14001, Committed to Green, GEO etc. and majority of staff are sent on Green Champion training which they take a lot from in transferring these skills and practices from work to home.
As someone pointed out earlier, its not easy but everyone should and could be doing more. This planet is in rapid decline and much of it (not all of it) is man made.
Again, man should never have left the trees. 

I think we have a winner

No not at all mate. Far from it. Great to see so much positive stuff on here though and already picked up a few ideas.

If everyone made an effort, no matter how small it would make a difference.

On 5/19/2019 at 17:34, Rizzo said:

How? :unsure:

Energy input will be much higher than simple toothpaste which is produced at massive volumes in efficient factories.

Lush products are handmade which means massively inefficient and the fact it's in a recyclable bottle doesn't mean it will actually be recycled. How much energy does it take to recycle the plastic - it's probably not worth it.

12 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

Energy input will be much higher than simple toothpaste which is produced at massive volumes in efficient factories.

Lush products are handmade which means massively inefficient and the fact it's in a recyclable bottle doesn't mean it will actually be recycled. How much energy does it take to recycle the plastic - it's probably not worth it.

I'm not hugely convinced by that argument. The bottles can be taken back to the shop to be recycled and are made from recycled plastic in any case.

Regular toothpaste tubes go to landfill.

People making products by hand beats using energy to fuel machinery to my mind. As a company Lush do a lot more to reduce waste from their products than most so I'd prefer to give them my dosh than the likes of Colgate.

On 19/05/2019 at 20:34, MuckleMoo said:

Budget I'm working with is £120,000. I'm lucky as I didn't have to buy the land (gifted to me) which has probably saved another £40,000 or so.

Slightly jealous. Sounds class.

Currently in the process of building an eco house of sorts. Planning permission is due to be applied for next week.

House will be a timber framed unit pre built in Estonia and then shipped over in sections. Builder reckons it'll be wind and water tight in two days and will be insulated within an inch of its life!

Applied for an interest free loan through the Scottish Energy Trust which will cover the cost of an air sink that will heat the property through underfloor heating as well as solar panels to provide hot water. Also looking to store the run off which will be used to flush the toilet.
This should have its own thread.

Do you have a link to the website?

Just now, MixuFixit said:

This is a nice chart:

Excuse my ignorance is coal the worst fossil fuel to burn to create electricity? 

Great progress but it would be nice to see that bar 99% green