Pie and Bovril's environmental credentials

We (me & the wife) do our bit and improving week by week.

• Recycling, we separate pretty much everything we can into the right bins and make good use of our local recycling plant for glass, bulbs, batteries etc.
  • Our landfill bin is minimal. 
  • When we go shopping (which I detest) we use our own plastic free bags and try and purchase products that are plastic free. We buy cans and glass which we rinse after use and before recycling.
  • We buy from farmers markets fairly regularly.
  • Read the labels. Palm oil is vile. We avoid products that contain palm oil (which is challenging). Producers/manufacturers need to wake up on this issue and soon.
  • We eat vegetarian 2-3 times a week,  A fair bit of quorn and all meat we buy is organic,  Hated this at first but now really enjoy it.
  • Another big aye up for Lush soap and shampoo bars, although I find you're lucky if they last 4-6 weeks.
  • We have a section of the garden left wild to encourage bees and in the middle of building a bug hotel from old widden pallets. We have a pond for the frogs, toads, newts and a few feeding stations for the birds
  • Electricity / Gas is both renewable. Energy saving bulbs in all rooms.
  • Signed up for local beach cleans.
  • Cleaning products are predominantly green with minimal harmful chemicals in them if any at all
  • I'm voting Green because the rest of them are all lying vile b*****ds.
  • There's fucking loads more we do but because its become second nature I can't remember half of it.

Not all positives though. I drive a German 3 litre diesel 4x4 which but already decided the next car will be electric. I use an electric toothbrush and buy conglomerate toothpaste. Many more faults but improving all the time.

At work we have various accreditation for our environmental best practice (ISO 14001, Committed to Green, GEO etc. and majority of staff are sent on Green Champion training which they take a lot from in transferring these skills and practices from work to home.

As someone pointed out earlier, its not easy but everyone should and could be doing more. This planet is in rapid decline and much of it (not all of it) is man made.

Again, man should never have left the trees. 

18 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Is toothpaste bad for the environment, have I missed something?

Majority of toothpaste contains palm oil. Palm oil is bad for the environment.

Add to that the likes of fluoride, artificial sweeteners, glycol, triclosan etc. and ts a pretty nasty mix going into yer gub.

7 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Until capitalism is stopped the planet can’t be saved anyway.

Capitalism is climate change and greed. Problem is we are all conditioned to it so jobs fucked.

Preach it sibling

1 minute ago, The OP said:

I have a mate who is vegan because he really cares for the environment but he has 3 weans, 2 cats, a 4x4, he flies about all the time for work and he goes on lots of long-haul holidays. 

If he wasn't vegan he'd probably still be doing all that but also eating meat.

I have a mate who is vegan because he really cares for the environment but he has 3 weans, 2 cats, a 4x4, he flies about all the time for work and he goes on lots of long-haul holidays. 
I'm not quite sure what your point is here. You can always pick something, I'd say going vegan is a pretty massive personal step.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
13 minutes ago, The OP said:

I'm not quite sure what your point is here. You can always pick something, I'd say going vegan is a pretty massive personal step.

Each to their own but it pales into insignificance when compared with contributing to overpopulation so I suspect it is virtue signalling and self-promotion rather than a genuine, concerted effort to save the planet. He was never into red meat anyway tbf. 

Edited by The OP

43 minutes ago, JamieT1314 said:

Is that a plastic bottle?

Made from 100% recycled and recycleable plastic. Unlike the tubes normal toothpaste comes in.

Edited by Rizzo