Pie and Bovril's environmental credentials

I love red meat, I have a coal fire, I have crap cavity wall insulation that I can't get fixed until I rip out the fire and install an approved stove,  have an old and relatively inefficient boiler the size of a washing machine (I also have a tumble dryer), and I work on an oil rig that's developing a new oil field out in the Atlantic Ocean, which I fly out to using a 20% full charter flight and a helicopter.  I also support a 'football team' that means I have to travel 85 miles return just to see a home game.

But as many of you know, I get the bus everywhere.  So I'm kind of green.

Until capitalism is stopped the planet can’t be saved anyway.
Capitalism is climate change and greed. Problem is we are all conditioned to it so jobs fucked.
Aye, alright Carl Marx, calm yourself down.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You shouldn't feel too bad about using those nespresso things - they use a lot less coffee per drink so even though you're generating waste with the pods, the savings in water, energy, fuel etc. make it marginally less damaging than just having ground coffee.

Just bought compostable Nespresso pods from the Eden Centre, you can put them in the food bin. 

Is ching a green product?

Supporting local business rather than these big, environment damaging multinational companies. Extra points if the guy drives a Prius or public transports it about to deliver...
I try to do my bit, heating on less, recycle what I can, don’t drive. In a previous rented accommodation I had to sort the electric supplier and picked “a green supplier”. Could do more having read through the thread though.

i find it hard to be anything than utterly cynical about environmental concerns all the time that motorsports are allowed to persist; the F1 circus must have the most appalling carbon footprint and exists for nothing other than enriching already hugely wealthy corporate concerns; it's also dull as f**k which doesn't endear it to me. the fuel use is probably one of the smaller contributors to its nett footprint size when you consider the vast logistical requirements of moving everything around the world, the construction of new circuits, year round testing, the plastics used to reconstruct nikki lauda's ears - all that sort of thing...

i'm also amazed that there is not more made in the UK of the german convention which is to tip up for your weekly shop and decant stuff like cornflakes in to your own containers as you check out, leaving the box and wax-paper bag in the shops for them to dispose of; this stuff should be put in the recycling chain at source without having to rely on the largely cretinous and disinterested UK public to get involved; onions in plastic netting and all the other non-preservative plastic packaging - just fucking ridiculous that this is not legislated against

a bit jaded after last night's exertions, so if this is even more bollocky than usual, irrational, inaccurate or just plain wrong, please bear this extenuating circumstance in mind...

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I don’t care about recycling tbh.
I fire everywhere in the normal bin.

There was 414 million bits of plastic washed up on that Australian beach.
My energy saving lightbulb and bag for life is literally meaningless compared to that.

Most of the plastic washed up on the beach is because folk lump all their waste in together

The Dry Mixed Recycling thing sounds good. Should put a stop to some of the Daily Mail types complaining about having to think for a second about which bin to put things into.

We used to be pretty regimented about recycling until we moved into our current place about a decade ago; the council only do green bin pickups on our street, however, and most of the standalone recycling drop-offs have been removed since the council expanded theirs at the tip. I didn't mind walking down the street with a few bags of trash, but I'm not dedicated enough to trek across town.

How green is it considered to burn your cardboard these days? I just bought a wee incinerator and ooh pretty fire...the flames.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

A lot of Scandinavia burns their waste in preference to landfill

Tempted to mention Black Metal bands and churches, but that's probably a bit of a whoosh for most folk.

Good enough for me, anyway - everything's getting burned now. Mwahaha!

I don’t care about recycling tbh.
I fire everywhere in the normal bin.

There was 414 million bits of plastic washed up on that Australian beach.
My energy saving lightbulb and bag for life is literally meaningless compared to that.

Then that means, to a certain extent, that you are part of the problem.

I try my best.

Haven't flown for years. Tend to travel by train locally as I don't drive.
I recycle the basics into different bins etc. but nothing more. I've tried sorting the food waste too but flies were starting to hover around last summer so I had to stop.
It irritates me that I don't do more but compared to others I do a decent job. You only have to walk past recycling bins on the pavement to see others don't seem to care at all.

I wish they did more TV adverts like the "don't flush anything else down the toilet" one. Nobody has a clue what's to get recycled and what's not to. A simple 20 second ad at 8pm saying don't put black bags, tetra packs etc. in your council recycling bin would be seen by 100,000s within a few days. Could be done for other basic info like use by/sell by dates on food too.

I'm looking for more ways in which to be a bit greener, we're looking into replacing my car in the next few years with a hybrid.

At the moment we do the following:

- Eat largely a vegan diet.

- We grow fruit and veggies in the back garden along with native plants, trees and flowers in the front.

- We buy loose fruit and veg from a green grocer so no plastic packaging.

- Sort all our household recycling

- Use solid shampoo and soaps so no plastic bottles being used

- Use dry tooth tabs instead of toothpaste

- Have a compost bin

- Have our own hens for eggs, they also eat most of our kitchen scraps.

- Cook things like curry/pasta sauce in bulk then freeze.

There's probably more that I've forgotten. We do use too much leccy though and need to get that cut down a bit. Our dogs also get fed on meat so that's not very environmentally friendly but it'd be cruel to feed them shitty vegan dog food. We're also with Bulb for gas and leccy and I walk to work (to be fair I live half a mile from work).

Edited by Rizzo

When I make a cup of tea I steal milk from my flatmate and just top up the bottle with a wee bit of water from the tap so he never notices. By not buying milk myself I am using less plastic and not contributing to the massive emissions of the dairy industry. 

When I make a cup of tea I steal milk from my flatmate and just top up the bottle with a wee bit of water from the tap so he never notices. By not buying milk myself I am using less plastic and not contributing to the massive emissions of the dairy industry. 
^^^ eco warrior