Pie and Bovril's environmental credentials

My house has the highest energy efficiency rating, I’m veggie, and always put the correct items into the recycling and food waste bins.

however, Mrs Maths has hour long showers, keeps the house at 24degrees, drives a monster of a motor as angrily as possible, and chucks her mountains of cardboard from internet shopping into any bin with space.

ETA I’ve just bought some wild flower seeds to turn a patch of my garden into a bee and butterfly wonderland.

Edited by mathematics

2 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I make sure all my recycling goes in the correct bin but fife council don't employ anyone to sift the rubbish so things like black plastics which can't be read by the computers are clean will often divert plastic into the landfill. So I try and avoid black plastic containers as much as possible, I know the shops use them to make things look a more quality product, but seriously how quality can a ready meal be.

I have also written to a few large wine manufacturers asking them to switch to plastic bottles as glass ones are heavy and use a lot more CO2 to transport them. Obviously sparkling wine will have to remain in glass.

I try to avoid US companies as America don't subscribe to the climate agreement and are happy to see us burn. I wrote to my MP to encourage cutting ties with major polluters.

I plant insect friendly (bees and butterflies) friendly plants to help them along.

It's not easy being green.

I was stuck behind a bin lorry in Rosyth last week, the blue and green bins went in the same lorry, Fife Council bang on about recycling but don't disclose that you're wasting your time in doing so.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I was stuck behind a bin lorry in Rosyth last week, the blue and green bins went in the same lorry, Fife Council bang on about recycling but don't disclose that you're wasting your time in doing so.

If your bins are similar to mine (blue cardboard & paper, green being plastic) then it's known as Dry Mix Recycling (DMR) whereby it all gets separated at. Plant. The council should be rolling out DMR bins fairly soon thus reducing bins by 1.

1 minute ago, Stevo Fife said:

If your bins are similar to mine (blue cardboard & paper, green being plastic) then it's known as Dry Mix Recycling (DMR) whereby it all gets separated at. Plant. The council should be rolling out DMR bins fairly soon thus reducing bins by 1.

The blue bin is general waste and the green bin is for garden waste.

I get these from "smol" think I have a referral code that might get you 9 for free let me know if you want it and I'll pm it, gets me free ones too I think.

Mrs Romeo is in charge of washing and says they are decent.

IMG_20190518_100147.thumb.jpg.486324520151410546500c88bd47a7d9.jpg

That’s the ones! I’ve just had a look at my stock of tablets and seen that I still have loads left - but when I’m out I’ll drop you that PM and help a green brother out.

100% renewable electricity, I'm paying for 100% renewable gas too but suspect I've been hoodwinked by their marketing people. I don't really know how they can guarantee it really is 100% either way as there are some days when wind/solar/nukes don't provide enough and gas does but whatever, makes me feel better.
I'll probably look at an electric car for my next one as the new generation all have 200+ mile range options which is what has stopped me getting one up to now. Also the price/month on PCP is favourable compared to a petrol/diesel once you factor in fuel costs.
Loose veg where possible, there's no reason for the plastic bags other than keeping them in ethylene so they keep longer. But I shop for smaller amounts more often so I don't waste as much. I don't do it nearly enough but turning veg on the turn into soup and freezing it keeps it out of landfill. I'm also taking composting more seriously this year and paying proper attention to layering it and keeping it moist which makes the difference between it taking 6 weeks and 6 months to get usable compost. Cooked food goes to the council food waste, raw food goes into my own compost bin.
I try to buy more sustainable fish but the certification system seems to be a minefield - haddock from one bit of the Atlantic is a no-no but is fine from another. I try to buy seasonally so it's mostly local but winter gets boring as f**k if all you're eating is turnips and kale so I do buy imported food too. I try not to buy stuff thats come from really far away, though I was reading that actually Kenyan produce has a smaller footprint than does Spanish because it's less intensive, even when you factor in transportation. Also Dutch agriculture has been quietly innovating for decades and has an incredibly small footprint per tomato etc.
I don't think this'll save the planet but it makes me feel a bit better about walking about drawing breath and using up stuff.

If there were footprints on my tomatoes I’d be raging.

Shamefully I'm a bit of a b*****d when it comes to this. I work for a oil company, drive a 3 litre sports car (do < 4000 miles a year though) and use those capsule machine things like they are going out of fashion (hopefully soon) .I  shop in Lidl out of laziness really and they don't do a great deal of loose produce and when they do it often more expensive for some reason.

Despite all this I'm all for renewable energy and alternatives to plastics and making single use stuff outlawed or heavily taxed.  I do waste segregation like anybody else should and once my coffee machine gives up the ghost I will be going for a bean to cup bad boy. Quite tempted to go for a renewable option next time on my bills. 

Edited by gannonball

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Shamefully I'm a bit of a b*****d when it comes to this. I work for a oil company, drive a 3 litre sports car (do < 4000 miles a year though) and use those capsule machine things like they are going out of fashion (hopefully soon) .I  shop in Lidl out of laziness really and they don't do a great deal of loose produce and when they do it often more expensive for some reason.

Still at least you don’t support one of the Ugly Sist....

Ah shit.

Bulb energy were the second cheapest option for me on my last switch (both gas and leccy) and I've been v impressed by their service.

I'll definetely look at a greener car on next purchase, and fucking love the recycling (my missus needs a shoeing every now and then but I take this shit very seriously. Anal as f**k, me.)

I vote green, mainly out of left-wingness rather than eco but hey ho.

But aye it's the government and corporations that'll decide this whole thing, not me meticulously taking sellotape off cardboard boxes before I put it in the right bin.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Bulb energy were the second cheapest option for me on my last switch (both gas and leccy) and I've been v impressed by their service.

I was with Bulb but they bumped their prices up a couple of times in quick succession to they got fired into the bin.

I am now with Pure Planet which is an app only supplier with no customer service centre to call, still seems to be going okay.

I'm a lifelong vegetarian, I've never been on a plane, I don't drive, I recycle, I walk to work, & my energy supplier is 100% renewable.

Although I want to get a car in the next year or so.

My energy supplier (bulb) is very cheap with good customer service. My old flat was a 3 bed tenement, with no double glazing and double height ceilings. My bill was £80pm down from £130pm with my old supplier.
I've got a referral code if anyone is interested.

I was with Bulb but they bumped their prices up a couple of times in quick succession to they got fired into the bin.
I am now with Pure Planet which is an app only supplier with no customer service centre to call, still seems to be going okay.
I was being shafted so much that it's still miles cheaper, and I think they lowered prices after the rises.

But aye, switching regularly helps, and keeping it green is definitely something I'll be doing.