Summer Transfer Window 19-20

1 hour ago, Stevieda said:
1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:
Common? Who else has done this? First I have ever head of it. Also dodgy as f**k.

Very common, it started off as being popular at championship level transfers but has spread across england and Europe. Nothing dodgy about it, if you're due £20m in a years time you can bring in £18m now and use the future cashflow as security against the borrowing. In that scenario the lender makes £2m interest. There would be a deed signed to say the payments are made directly to the lender from the buyer. Pretty basic structure finance deal.

10% interest is quite high when base rates are below 1%. 

Wouldn't it be cheaper to borrow against future television income? That's probably more secure than a possible transfer fee.

On the other hand, Pepe was worth more. However, I wouldn't want my club doing such deals.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

19 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to borrow against future television income? That's probably more secure than a possible transfer fee.

On the other hand, Pepe was worth more. However, I wouldn't want my club doing such deals.

To be honest, I expect multi-billionaire Kroenke knows a thing or two about financial dealings.

9 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

To be honest, I expect multi-billionaire Kroenke knows a thing or two about financial dealings.

???  It was Lille who apparently sold Pepe to the agent at the 10% discount.

Kroenke would have negotiated with the seller - in this case the agent rather than the club.

14 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

???  It was Lille who apparently sold Pepe to the agent at the 10% discount.

Kroenke would have negotiated with the seller - in this case the agent rather than the club.

I appreciate that but he wouldn't sanction a deal that meant dealing with a financially dodgy third party.

My example was illustrative but would likely be at between 6-7%. The premier league would actually guarantee the payment on arsenals behalf, actually based on TV money and league position finish. Championship clubs also borrow against years 2 and 3 parachute payments.

52 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

McBurnie is horse. Fantastic business from Swansea

24 goals in 44 games last year... Not exactly horse-like goal return especially considering that Sheffield United's leading scorer last year (Billy Sharp) also had 24 goals

1 minute ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

All that proves is that the Championship is, by and large, a dreadful, dreadful standard.

What are you basing your opinion of McBurnie on?  What games did McBurnie look like a horse in?

Now there are reports that Man U and Leicester have agreed a deal for Harry Maguire.
Harry Maguire would be the most expensive defender in world football history

I’ll be amazed if Solskjaer is manager at Christmas. £80 million worth of mediocrity there. Man Utd’s centre backs are fairly meh as it is, but I don’t think Maguire’s a marked improvement.

5 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

On him playing for Scotland.

Horse-like is generous.

Pretty much every player looked awful playing for McLeish's Scotland so it's harsh to judge based on Scotland performances when it was more down to the manager and tactics.  Besides he only just turned 23, he is improving

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ll be amazed if Solskjaer is manager at Christmas. £80 million worth of mediocrity there. Man Utd’s centre backs are fairly meh as it is, but I don’t think Maguire’s a marked improvement.

Paying more for Harry Maguire than Liverpool paid for Virgil Van Dijk (a ballon d'or candidate) is indicative of how much money Man United piss away on mediocre players.  This not just an Ole problem, it's been going on for years, pretty much since Alex Ferguson retired

Edited by senorsoupe

Just now, senorsoupe said:

Paying more for Harry Maguire than Liverpool paid for Virgil Van Dijk (a ballon d'or candidate) is indicative of how much money Man United piss away on mediocre players.  This not just an Ole problem, it's been going on for years

Right.  But Ole doesn't need to continue the trend.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  But Ole doesn't need to continue the trend.  

Oh agreed but he's being hampered by the actions of previous managers.  Clubs know they can get Man Utd to pay way too much for players so they are holding out for bigger fees.  

20 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Solksjaer paying way over the odds for anyone that flashes a British passport at him. Clearly trying to copy Ferguson's squads of the 90s in having a British core.

Daft Norwegian fraud.

Needs time. 

Apparently Arsenal have made an approach for Coutinho on loan, with an option to buy. Is it possible for a club just to field a full team of attacking options, as they seem to be doing everything they can not to sign a centre half. 

1 hour ago, Richie95 said:

Apparently Arsenal have made an approach for Coutinho on loan, with an option to buy. Is it possible for a club just to field a full team of attacking options, as they seem to be doing everything they can not to sign a centre half. 

They're trying to get Rugani.