Dundee councillor suspended

ICTChris

16 minutes ago, The Master said:

I think the issue here is that an opportunity wasn't given for people to use the non-gender specific term.

I don't think the duck principle is unreasonable; in the absence of any other information, calling someone who looks like a man and sounds like a man "he" in your first interaction with them shouldn't provoke anger and abuse, but instead a request not to use gendered pronouns. Everyone can then get on with their lives and be happy. 

All joking aside, I really wouldn't know what this was or how to go about it. 

It's probably a bit like referring to a female as "Mrs" before she rebukes you and asks you to address her as "Miss" or "Ms", fair enough, it's no big deal and in the future you would do so if that what's the person requested and if it meant so much to them.

The important issue here is people looking to take offence when there's really no need or indeed any intended.

Life's too short to get worked up with nonsensical trivialities as far as I'm concerned.............

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

All joking aside, I really wouldn't know what this was or how to go about it. 

It's probably a bit like referring to a female as "Mrs" before she rebukes you and asks you to address her as "Miss" or "Ms", fair enough, it's no big deal and in the future you would do so if that what's the person requested and if it meant so much to them.

The important issue here is people looking to take offence when there's really no need or indeed any intended.

Life's too short to get worked up with nonsensical trivialities as far as I'm concerned.............

It's hardly a problem most of us regularly encounter anyway, huge fuss about f**k all.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's hardly a problem most of us regularly encounter anyway, huge fuss about f**k all.

Typical of today's attitudes, I suppose.

"Anger", "Outrage", "Fury", "Offence", "Hatred".

Just the everyday words used to describe people being mildly annoyed about something trivial........

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Both sides are utterly heads gone. Total hysteria created almost exclusively on twitter about a relatively rare condition that has been around since Adam (call me Sandra) and Eve. Haven't noticed any beardy people in dresses trying to invade the ladies toilets in Inverness as yet.

^^^hangs-around-the-toilets-in-Inverness-type-post

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I think the issue here is that an opportunity wasn't given for people to use the non-gender specific term.

I don't think the duck principle is unreasonable; in the absence of any other information, calling someone who looks like a man and sounds like a man "he" in your first interaction with them shouldn't provoke anger and abuse, but instead a request not to use gendered pronouns. Everyone can then get on with their lives and be happy. 

This made me laugh for totally unrelated reasons that I won’t bore you with.  However if we call everyone ‘duck’ regardless of gender I think that would be a good solution.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

^^^hangs-around-the-toilets-in-Inverness-type-post

I've seen plenty of beardys in dresses in the men's toilets in Inverness. 

I just take exception to them lifting up their skirts and spraying goodwill to anyone in close proximity. 

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This made me laugh for totally unrelated reasons that I won’t bore you with.  However if we call everyone ‘duck’ regardless of gender I think that would be a good solution.

Duck off.

50 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

"Anger", "Outrage", "Fury", "Offence", "Hatred".

Just the everyday words used to describe people being mildly annoyed about something trivial........

Words without which your average local newspaper journalist wouldn't have a career.

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That would just be quackers.

11 hours ago, Ross. said:

The whole issue seems to be almost surreal. Having read bits and pieces on various elements of it, I am probably less enlightened on the subject than I was before I even knew there were issues. Some of it is simply mind boggling. Read an article a while back and the gist of it was that the author believed that lesbians who didn't want to sleep with trans women who still had penises were bigots, and this viewpoint seemed to have a fair amount of support.

They have also extended that now to say anybody wanting to know if their date/prospective partner/someone they meet in a bar has a penis or not is transphobic.  That's how mental it is.

13 hours ago, Kuro said:

They have also extended that now to say anybody wanting to know if their date/prospective partner/someone they meet in a bar has a penis or not is transphobic.  That's how mental it is.

Who's "they"? Some dafty Wings found and RT'd on Twitter? Both sides of this manufactured "issue" are as mental as each other. Have you ever encountered a problem with gender issues in real life?

14 hours ago, Kuro said:

So you take her out. Have a nice meal, a few drinks. Great chat and laughter. Everything just seems to click into place........... btw, do you have a penis?

43 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

So you take her out. Have a nice meal, a few drinks. Great chat and laughter. Everything just seems to click into place........... btw, do you have a penis?

Michael: [Continuing the story] She’s gorgeous man, and she’s half the price of the others. And they’re getting doon to it. He puts his hand up her skirt, gets a hold of the old ‘meat and two veg’ right. And thinks ‘hang on, I’ve paid me money I’m gonna have summit’. So he flips ‘em over and ffffffff [Michael looks up and notices Lynn has entered the room] And funnily enough, it lands on its wheels and it starts first time and they just drive away.
Alan: [Alan hasn’t noticed Lynn in the room, and as such he is confused by the way the story has changed direction] Strangest story I’ve ever heard. Oh hello Lynn! Oh I see what you were… ahh right, yes. Michael was just telling me an army story about a friend of his who, slept with… a Land Rover. Lonely nights in the desert.
Michael: That’s all fixed now Mr Partridge, I’ll be on my way.
Alan: Right, OK.
Michael: [Acknowledges Lynn on his way out] Mornin’
Alan: [Stops Michael before he leaves] Just check, that wasn’t the real ending to the story, was it?
Michael: No, no.
Alan: Just saying that because Lynn’s here?
Michael: Aye
Alan: Right, fine.

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Michael: [Continuing the story] She’s gorgeous man, and she’s half the price of the others. And they’re getting doon to it. He puts his hand up her skirt, gets a hold of the old ‘meat and two veg’ right. And thinks ‘hang on, I’ve paid me money I’m gonna have summit’. So he flips ‘em over and ffffffff [Michael looks up and notices Lynn has entered the room] And funnily enough, it lands on its wheels and it starts first time and they just drive away.
Alan: [Alan hasn’t noticed Lynn in the room, and as such he is confused by the way the story has changed direction] Strangest story I’ve ever heard. Oh hello Lynn! Oh I see what you were… ahh right, yes. Michael was just telling me an army story about a friend of his who, slept with… a Land Rover. Lonely nights in the desert.
Michael: That’s all fixed now Mr Partridge, I’ll be on my way.
Alan: Right, OK.
Michael: [Acknowledges Lynn on his way out] Mornin’
Alan: [Stops Michael before he leaves] Just check, that wasn’t the real ending to the story, was it?
Michael: No, no.
Alan: Just saying that because Lynn’s here?
Michael: Aye
Alan: Right, fine.

Ever had a ladyboy chaser?