English Premier League 2019-20

The start of the Barclays 2019/20 season will take place on Saturday 10 August 2019.

It will be the first Barclays season to have a mid-season break in February where five of a normal round of ten games will be played on a weekend and the remaining five the following weekend.  It will also be the first season to use VAR.

This season marks the start of a new 3 year TV deal including 20 games to be broadcast by Amazon Prime in the UK for the first time.

The fixtures are set to be released on Thursday 13 June 2019 at 09:00 BST.

My initial thoughts
• City to complete another 90+ point season and win the title.
• Man Utd to have another dreadful season, Ole gone by Halloween.
• VAR to be continually lambasted and misunderstood by pundits and fans.

Top 4
• City
• Liverpool
• Tottenham
• Arsenal

Will predict the relegation after the playoffs end.

All Barclays 2019-20 chat in here.
Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I can see Arsenal and Chelsea doing a bit better in the league next season as Emery and Sarri will be bedded in by August.

Liverpool look like second best again and it's really City's title to lose at this rate.

Spurs will look to build from CL success and will look to add one or two quality signings. I reckon if Pochettino doesn't end up at Old Trafford they should be good for third in the league ahead of their two London rivals.

Man United have an interesting summer ahead of them. OGS keeping same backroom team so I guess that rules out a DoF role for the likes of Keane or Fletcher? 

Recruitment for them is crucial with 5 or 6 first teamers  needing replaced plus Sanchez and Pogba could/ should be moved on.

I'm interested to see who Leicester recruit. Don't see them reaching top 6 but then again Man Utd could vacate that club this coming season.

Wolves should still be top 8.

Relegation wise Brighton, Norwich and Sheffield United would be my early picks for the drop.

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Man United have an interesting summer ahead of them. OGS keeping same backroom team so I guess that rules out a DoF role for the likes of Keane or Fletcher? 

The DoF role wouldn't affect the backroom team. It's a role to keep Woodward away from playing matters and leaving him to concentrate on selling t-shirts but, surprise surprise, he hasn't filled it months after they were going to. Until he's taken out the back and shot United will continue the path to mediocrity he's very successfully set them on. 

Chelsea will continue to struggle (in terms of challenging), what with their transfer ban and lack of depth - even if Hazard stays. Other than that, the only prediction I can confidently make is that Manchester United will struggle to get into the top four for at least half a decade, barring simultaneous collapses by two of the five sides above them. Any good manager or player would be mad to go there right now; they are a proper basket-case of a club and it's going to be great watching the next few years unfolding. Their squad and footballing management structure are a pair of imbalanced shambles and top-class players will have loads of better options while demand outstrips supply in the market. Barring a miracle, no manager is going to be afforded long enough there to put a feasible and cohesive recovery plan in place.

City will probably win the league again, but their transfer business is also pretty important. Jesus started off like a house on fire but seems to have regressed, even at his tender age. I think they need another striker and, of course, a long-term Fernandinho replacement, while there's also talk of them offloading Otamendi and Danilo and bringing in defensive reinforcements. New bodies in the former two areas would likely see a decent amount of action next season, so how those signings adapt will have quite a big impact on their season IMO. In saying that, City's recruitment record has been very good of late. Liverpool should give them a good battle again, right enough.

I'm struggling to see how Man City won't be in the 90pt range again. They've got a phenomenal manager and a massive budget. Players like Kompany are getting on a bit and need replacing. Fernandinho is 34 so maybe a longer term replacement for him. Maybe another left winger too if Sane is more than just "in the bad books".

One of the most forgotten players will probably be Gomez at Liverpool. He was one of the best CB's in the league for the first 3/4 months of the season until his injury. I don't see them getting that close to Man City this time though. They have too many close shaves. 80pts+ and a comfortable 2nd.

I fancy Arsenal for 3rd. A central defender and a defensive midfielder should help them a lot.

Tottenham 4th. Expecting another Kane injury. Don't know how much they'll be able to spend so soon after the new stadium.

Hazard-less Chelsea and rudderless Man U finish 5th and 6th.

Sheffield Utd, Brighton and Newcastle to go down. Leeds take Newcastles place in the bottom 3 if they go up.

Decent season's for Leicester, Southampton and Burnley.

A big well done to Linkin Fighter for getting this fired up nice and early and hopefully breathing some new life into the Sky Sports Customers of Scotland’s running commentary of the Greatest League in the World. Last years thread was way down posts wise and I feared the end had come. 

For some the season is still to reach its climax elsewhere so will get into it properly after that :)

16 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

Arsenal to start and finish the season top of the world.    

Rab to make this thread unreadable.   

Come on Billy. Man up :D

1 hour ago, LinkinFighter said:

• City to complete another 90+ point season and win the title.
• Man Utd to have another dreadful season, Ole gone by Halloween.

Brave call going for Norwich to win it first year back up. 

On Man Utd ... :wub:

20 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

A big well done to Linkin Fighter for getting this fired up nice and early and hopefully breathing some new life into the Sky Sports Customers of Scotland’s running commentary of the Greatest League in the World. Last years thread was way down posts wise and I feared the end had come. 

:huh:

There was 40 more pages on last years thread than the year previous. 

Yeah, there's absolutely no danger that was a whoosh considering you've been constantly saying nobody that used to post about Liverpool the year previous does anymore.

Not for the first time recently you've just randomly made stuff up.