English Premier League 2019-20

Guest DAVIDB69

I think the problem for the league for best past of two seasons , four of the big 6 have been garbage .

I have feeling the poor quality english premier season may haunt them in the Knick out stages of the champions league

12 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I think the problem for the league for best past of two seasons , four of the big 6 have been garbage .

I have feeling the poor quality english premier season may haunt them in the Knick out stages of the champions league

It didn't last season.  I think both teams in the CL were a wee bit lucky to get through their semis (particularly Spurs who should have been about eight down by the time their comeback started) but they did pretty well in Europe last year.

Just now, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I'm meant to be in hospitality for the Palace game next month. Praying it's all finished before that game now as I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the tickets if that were to be the game.

A nice we guard of honour at Goodison or the Emptyhad would be nice.

Its going to be a bit of an anti-climax cause its been obvious for so long they're going to win it.  It would have been better if it was neck and neck and they nicked it.  Bit like Leicester when they didn't win it on the park, took away from it a wee bit.  Not that their fans will care.

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Guardiola is a fraud.

His managerial record is fantastic. City's main problem is that they did not buy a top replacement for Kompany. He was a great captain, a true leader, as well as a classy defender. Another is that Mendy and Zinchenko are struggling after their injuries. 

Sterling seems to have returned to his bad ways recently. He should have seen red for that awful challenge this afternoon. It was no different to the one that Bournemouth's Cook was sent off by VAR after the ref initially gave him a yellow. But he plays for England so.... 🙄

Up untill mid December I thought Liverpool would have a dip at some point allowing the gap to narrow to call it a competition but it still hasn’t came. If they do it now it won’t matter

I don’t care what anyone says. An8 point lead in November means f**k all , especially when you blew one the previous march

I'm meant to be in hospitality for the Palace game next month. Praying it's all finished before that game now as I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the tickets if that were to be the game.
A nice wee guard of honour at Goodison or the Emptyhad would be nice.
Which part of hospitality will you be in? I'll be there too.

1 minute ago, Stevieda said:
1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:
A nice wee guard of honour at Goodison or the Emptyhad would be nice.

Which part of hospitality will you be in? I'll be there too.

Last time that particular company took us we were in the posh padded seats in the main stand, right on the half way line. Met Phil Babb and Ian St John before the match as well. 

I prefer the Kenny or the Anny with a couple of beers in town beforehand to be honest, but you take what you can get these days. Beggars can't be choosers.

How many games now boss...

six.gif

It didn't last season.  I think both teams in the CL were a wee bit lucky to get through their semis (particularly Spurs who should have been about eight down by the time their comeback started) but they did pretty well in Europe last year.

Declarations of a new era of English dominance on the back of last season were a bit overblown but “pretty well” is an understatement

Of course if the reverse happens and English sides go out on the odd goal in 9 instead of going through then we can expect lots of soul searching “what’s wrong with the English game” stuff from the pundits.

Right decision but play shouldn’t have been left to go on that long. It should have been stopped sooner. 

I only saw it on Match of the Day 2 just now but I'm not sure it was a penalty. I don't think the Spurs defender got the ball but I didn't see any contact between him and Aguero - he simply crumpled to a heap under a little pressure. If there was contact it was utterly minimal and not enough for him to go down. I can only presume the VAR was thinking it may have been that way and spent ages looking for an angle (one I've not seen) that showed enough of a touch to make it a foul. Had that been in the first 6 or 7 weeks of the season I don't think it gets overturned, but they've started giving some soft decisions now once they opened the floodgates. Don't think the second one was a penalty either and I think Sterling is fortunate not to get a second yellow for going down before Loris pulls his hands away. Quite why he wasn't sent off for the challenge on Delle Ali (the same thing Aubameyang and the Bournemouth player - Cook? - have been sent off for recently) is another puzzler.

His managerial record is fantastic. City's main problem is that they did not buy a top replacement for Kompany. He was a great captain, a true leader, as well as a classy defender. Another is that Mendy and Zinchenko are struggling after their injuries. 
Sterling seems to have returned to his bad ways recently. He should have seen red for that awful challenge this afternoon. It was no different to the one that Bournemouth's Cook was sent off by VAR after the ref initially gave him a yellow. But he plays for England so.... [emoji849]

I'm not a subscriber to the Fraudiola theory but... he had the best player of all time at his peak and two of the best midfielders of all time at their peak in the Barcelona team, he took a Champions League holder in Bayern and did as expected domestically but failed in Europe and has inherited a fantastic squad at City and done well but has obvious blind spots. Not replacing Kompany or getting better cover for Laporte than Otamendi and Stones. Relying too much on Aguero and Sterling for goals. Not stopping the penalty nonsense and just telling Aguero to take them if he's playing since he's the best taker they have. Seemingly having no clue how to spot a left back. I know the big focus now is the Champions League but if they get knocked out by Real Madrid, who knows what will happen. 3 months of pretty meaningless games bar the two domestic cup finals? The already poor crowds could drop off a cliff.

41 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Just seen the Spurs-City game on MOTD2.

Sterling should have been off for the foul on Dele. The length of time taken to give the penalty was nonsense. Mike Dean had a shocker. Mourinho was at his sarcastic, shitfesting best.

Mike Dean always has a shocker, even when in charge of VAR. Some of his decisions defy belief.

He is narcissistic poseur, an incompetent idiot who should not be officiating at this level. 

Just watching MotD2 just now. While the Spurs - City game looked a right laugh, some of the football on display was absolutely horrid. Same can be said for some of the action in West Ham v Brighton.

The kind of ridiculous head-tennis and staggeringly inept defending that would probably result in some kind of comedy memes if they had been performed by SPFL sides.

So is the verdict that Lolverpool are only winning the league because all of the other nominal title contenders have been simultaneously garbage? Although it's really just Man City and Chelsea. Arsenal and Man U have been on borrowed time for years and Spurs were only ever maintaining the appearance of being a permanent fixture in the top group.

While you can say that City have been rubbish this season, Liverpool have still won 24 out of 25 league games. A completely unheard of run of form. They'd still be at least 8-10 points ahead of City had they been at their level from last season.

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

So is the verdict that Lolverpool are only winning the league because all of the other nominal title contenders have been simultaneously garbage? Although it's really just Man City and Chelsea. Arsenal and Man U have been on borrowed time for years and Spurs were only ever maintaining the appearance of being a permanent fixture in the top group.

Tbf I think the whole league is crap apart from Liverpool. Leicester, who are pish, being 3rd sums it up.