English Premier League 2019-20

What happened to no red cards for a genuine attempt to play the ball.

Yeah, was going to post the same. It was clumsy for sure and a penalty too but he did try to get the ball so should surely have only been a yellow card. Unsurprisingly Peter Walton agreed with the decision as these former referees always do, but VAR probably should have at least got the ref to have another look on the monitor.

As for the Jesus penalty, I get that it should have been a retake for Henderson being off his line but I personally think they should get away with that if the taker does a pause/shuffle in the run up. Luckily for him VAR isn't being used for that (in the Premier League at least) since there is a linesman there to check that.

Just me that thinks regardless of attempting to play the ball or not that a penalty AND a red card is bollocks? It’s not denying a goal scoring opportunity if they still get a penalty. I understand if it’s outside the box but a penalty is still a Lear goal scoring opportunity so a red card on top is double punishment it seems. It’s also completely killed this game.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

He's at the peak of his career and had a very good world cup. That was always going to be the going rate, and I don't think it's too out of kilter with the insane market of European football.

Plus he's home grown english, for their euro squads english teams pay even more, much did city buy stones for again and he's fucking gash

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Just me that thinks regardless of attempting to play the ball or not that a penalty AND a red card is bollocks? It’s not denying a goal scoring opportunity if they still get a penalty. I understand if it’s outside the box but a penalty is still a Lear goal scoring opportunity so a red card on top is double punishment it seems. It’s also completely killed this game.

The card colour should maybe be determined on wether the penalty is scored, like you say a double blow is shit but if the player gets a yellow for say denying a tap in (striker wont miss, keeper miles away situation) and the resulting penalty is missed then the attacking team has been penalised big time 

“For me now, we’ve lost to Liverpool, a team that you all say are fantastic and we’ve been in the game until the last kick of the ball. And, for me, that’s strides forward,”

No Manchester United manager should ever be making a statement like that after a defeat to Liverpool. Thing is, I'm not surprised. As David said, the club as a whole now seem to be accepting mediocrity, as long as the share price remains high. That's all the owners are not interested in. They haven't spent a penny on the stadium in the long time (apparently the main stand is really tired and in dire need of investment) and are taking millions out of the club every year.

Lets not kid ourselves on here, yeah, Woodward and OGS are clearly not the right people to take that club forward, but as long as the owners can make money of the club, do they care? That is where the problem really lies.

The card colour should maybe be determined on wether the penalty is scored, like you say a double blow is shit but if the player gets a yellow for say denying a tap in (striker wont miss, keeper miles away situation) and the resulting penalty is missed then the attacking team has been penalised big time 

Yeah I’d agree with that. Would also be interesting to see if, say it was early in the game, if teams would purposely miss the penalty so that they played the remainder of the game against 10 men rather than 11. Either way, as it is, the rule is shite.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That’s correct. Is the rule not that the goalkeeper must have at least one foot on the line at the moment the ball is struck ??

In this case it looks like terrible refereeing rather than a mistake by VAR.

Keeper cleared the ball after the save. VAR should have checked that.