English Premier League 2019-20

Nah they'll get minimum 130 no bother at all. Could be 165.  That represents a fairly substantial profit.  They also have an option to extend his deal for a year with or without his consent, so he actually has 2.5 years on his contract, so they'll get a good price.  It was 90 they paid for him btw, not 105.  
105 million euros.

Just now, peasy23 said:
2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Nah they'll get minimum 130 no bother at all. Could be 165.  That represents a fairly substantial profit.  They also have an option to extend his deal for a year with or without his consent, so he actually has 2.5 years on his contract, so they'll get a good price.  It was 90 they paid for him btw, not 105.  

105 million euros.

Oh. I'm talking pounds.

10 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Just wondering, how was the atmosphere at East End when you were playing the likes of Forfar or Montrose in the seaside league?  Did you all get up for that same way as you do against Falkirk or the old firm coming to town?

We didn’t play Montrose in the seaside league.  And no there wasn’t a huge amount of atmosphere as a derby.  Not sure where the comparison comes from tho, it would only be in any way relevant if Liverpool were playing in the championship.  

comparing our lowest point in decades for us against Liverpool at their highest point is bizarre.

On 02/01/2020 at 08:44, peasy23 said:

Interesting to hear Luiz saying last night that Arsenal aren't fit enough, that's a very big failing on Emery and his coaching staff's part.

That's a pretty standard criticism players dish out when a manager has been sacked. Whether it is true or not it shows the lack of responsibility some players take, and it seems to be unique to football. Can you imagine a tennis player, marathon runner, boxer etc moaning that they weren't fit enough and blaming someone else for it? They would take it upon themselves to get themselves into top condition, and if they weren't would take responsibility for it.

Footballers, particularly at that level, have the time, resources and expertise to get themselves into peak condition, the idea of blaming the manager because you aren't fit enough is ridiculous. I'd be raging if players at my club said they hadn't been fit enough for the last 6 months, but hadn't actually done anything about it themselves.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Jack Rodwell has been training with Sheffield United for a few weeks, and seems likely to be signing until the summer with the option of an extension.

Status update, Jack Rodwell has signed for Sheffield United.  I guess Bramall Lane is becoming a last ditch attempt saloon for players with damaged reputations.  This seems to be a very odd signing for a Premier League club, a player who hasn't been good at any level for about 4 years

That's a pretty standard criticism players dish out when a manager has been sacked. Whether it is true or not it shows the lack of responsibility some players take, and it seems to be unique to football. Can you imagine a tennis player, marathon runner, boxer etc moaning that they weren't fit enough and blaming someone else for it? They would take it upon themselves to get themselves into top condition, and if they weren't would take responsibility for it.
Footballers, particularly at that level, have the time, resources and expertise to get themselves into peak condition, the idea of blaming the manager because you aren't fit enough is ridiculous. I'd be raging if players at my club said they hadn't been fit enough for the last 6 months, but hadn't actually done anything about it themselves.

Totally agree. It’s a line often trotted out by new managers too. Utterly pathetic to hear it from a professional sportsman.

I didn't say anywhere that the players had blamed the manager tbf, but what seems to be clear is that the Arsenal squad aren't fit enough to play the way Arteta wants them to. The stat they had the other night was that the team collectively had covered 9km more against Man Utd than in Emery's last match in charge. In both their last 2 games their performance has visibly tailed off in the second half, and against Man Utd especially, Torreira and a few others were visibly blowing out their arses.

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I didn't say anywhere that the players had blamed the manager tbf, but what seems to be clear is that the Arsenal squad aren't fit enough to play the way Arteta wants them to. The stat they have the ither night was that the team collectively had covered 9km more against Man Utd than in Emery's last match in charge. In both their last 2 games their performance has visibly tailed off in the second half, and against Man Utd especially, Torreira and a few others were visibly blowing out their arses.

You made the link yourself though, saying it was a failing on the part of the coaching team. Any time a comment like that is made the implication is always that the previous set-up meant they weren't fit enough. Plus I doubt Emery wanted them to play at a low intensity, I'd say it's more likely the team had been used to not fully applying themselves as they should in the last few weeks and therefore have struggled with the jump in intensity.

I'm also not totally disagreeing, or saying that the coaching team don't have a huge responsibility to ensure players are in the condition they need to be. Obviously they do, I'm sure there are cases where squads are not as fit as they should be and standards have dropped (given their performances this may well be Arsenal). However my general point is that it only seems to be in football where players view it as someone else's responsibility to 'get them fit', rather than them taking it into their own hands. It doesn't really happen in any other sport that I know of, and even in football the best players with the best attitude would never come out with comments like that, can you imagine Ronaldo ever coming out and implying he wasn't fit enough?

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Status update, Jack Rodwell has signed for Sheffield United.  I guess Bramall Lane is becoming a last ditch attempt saloon for players with damaged reputations.  This seems to be a very odd signing for a Premier League club, a player who hasn't been good at any level for about 4 years

They have already signed Ravel Morrison this season so they seen happy to take a punt on what other clubs at their level would deem a lost cause. Don't think Morrison has played much, if at all though.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

They have already signed Ravel Morrison this season so they seen happy to take a punt on what other clubs at their level would deem a lost cause. Don't think Morrison has played much, if at all though.

A quick check of Soccerway shows me that he's started 2 league cup games and has made 1 sub appearance for 12 minutes in the Premier League