English Premier League 2019-20

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think Gabby Agbonlahor was a Villa player for about 35 years, so... yes.

Weird how you kept him on for so long and now he's just randomly retired at 32.

Apologies if previously posted, but former referee Bobby Madley has written the attached in regards to him being sacked from his job:
https://therefereesword.blogspot.com/2019/12/time-to-move-on.html?m=1

A real shame for Bobby and the guy who ratted him out must be a truly bitter individual to do that.

From reading the story about Bobby Madley, I got the impression it was his ex Mrs that stuck him in it. It's pretty poor from whoever it was that a guy has lost his livelihood and Jamie Carragher can spit on people and keep his job! At least he cleared up he never pumped a jack russell dug. 

VAR moment from the Spurs v Chelsea game a couple of weeks ago that I couldn’t get my head round:
Spurs were given a free kick on the edge of the box and the check was for a penalty to see if it was actually in the box. Wankers in the VAR room were looking at the replays where you could clearly see the Spurs player was offside immediately before the foul, absolutely no need to get out the protractor, yet after looking at the offside angle a number of times they continued to check the location of the foul for a good 2 minutes. Despite the clear as fucking day offside they were all set to award a penalty if they thought the foul was in the box. In the end up they didn’t and Spurs kept their free kick.
And another from the Norwich v Spurs game at the weekend - Spurs were given a foul right on the edge of the box after a VAR review. Replays clearly showed the Spurs player was offside in the immediate build up yet they carried on giving the free kick and Erikson scored from it.
They’re happy to rule out goals for a bawhair’s offside but if someone’s blatantly offside before a penalty or dangerous free kick it gets ignored. The whole thing is a fucking mess.
I saw that one in the second game, couldn't believe that they didnt even mention it on motd.

When they first showed it on MotD I couldn't understand why Wesley would have been active as I couldn't remember him being near Grealish when he scored. It was only when they showed the full incident after the highlights when I realised it was in the first phase of play - which I thought VAR wasn't going to be used for? They seemed to mention the other night in the Wolves game that any potential handball by Van Dijk was too early to disallow the Liverpool goal for instance?

Those two decisions today sum up VAR really.

The van dijk handball did not directly lead to the goal, and so it was not deemed deliberate. It was the pass before the assist and I think they said the new any handball will be chalked off had to be the assist or the goal for it to count.

They can go back to first phase with offsides...I think.

It's certainly complex, but there are usually reasons for these decisions.

It's the time taken, and the ridiculous harshness of the offsides that really get to me. If they brought in a margin of error, and let the bloody ref decide at the side of the pitch it would be a lot better.

(Although it would still be changing the nature of celebrations, which seems totally against the spirit and joy of the game)

Average pay per player is a stupid thing to use, and it genuinely infuriates me that it has taken off because of that "Sporting Intelligence" bellend. Total wage bill is fine - the average one favours teams with massive squads over those who have smaller ones, regardless of the relative quality.

Theres something about Anfield/Liverpool fans, and you do see this elsewhere in the EPL these days.... I just dont buy it. Folk go on about how unbearable they will be if they win the league but honestly, watching this tonight theres just nothing there. How would you ever know they are watching a truly great team cruising towards the title they have craved for decades?

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres something about Anfield/Liverpool fans, and you do see this elsewhere in the EPL these days.... I just dont buy it. Folk go on about how unbearable they will be if they win the league but honestly, watching this tonight theres just nothing there. How would you ever know they are watching a truly great team cruising towards the title they have craved for decades?

The atmosphere has sounded awful there for a while. I don't seem to recall it being so flat last season, maybe its the lack of challenge for the league? 

It might be the new stand but like I said, I can't remember it being so flat last year. 

Average pay per player is a stupid thing to use, and it genuinely infuriates me that it has taken off because of that "Sporting Intelligence" bellend. Total wage bill is fine - the average one favours teams with massive squads over those who have smaller ones, regardless of the relative quality.
It's not perfect, but does show how little return Man Utd are getting for their wage bill. Keep hearing that they will have to spend millions to catch up, fact is they already have spent plenty and are still some distance away from the top of the table. It's hard to see them recouping their initial outlay on Pogba, and I'd forgot that Matic was still there until a few weeks ago.