English Premier League 2019-20

People used to defend VAR because getting decisions right is the only thing that mattered apparently, now people are throwing their toys out the pram when teams are winning that they don’t want to win. What happened to that?

Aye clear and obvious errors this is an extreme!!! Now looking into something that happened in the build up a minute prior to a goal being scored, imo scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football and now they are being taken away by stuff that genuinely had no bearing in the outcome.

1 minute ago, killie_lad said:

What’s that then? I’ve only read that it is perfect for offside because it either is or isn’t, apparently not.

It’s not perfect for offside. While offside itself is a binary decision, you still need an accurate means of detecting it. 

Until VAR can freeze the video at precisely the moment the ball is kicked, and have pixel-level accuracy when drawing the lines, you can’t categorically say these close decisions are correct. 

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Today was the start of the second half of the season - everyone has played everyone else once (West Ham v Liverpool outstanding), so they could have decided that for the return games they would adopt a more 'sensible' approach to offside.

Has it really been explained why they departed from only "clear and obvious" in the first place?

I’m not sure why everyone having played everyone else would allow them to change things. 

Imagine if Norwich were relegated on the final day thanks to a last minute goal scored after the exact same margin of offside as their disallowed one yesterday. That wouldn’t suddenly be OK because they waited until the half-way point to less strictly apply VAR. 

It’s not perfect for offside. While offside itself is a binary decision, you still need an accurate means of detecting it. 
Until VAR can freeze the video at precisely the moment the ball is kicked, and have pixel-level accuracy when drawing the lines, you can’t categorically say these close decisions are correct. 

I’m not saying its perfect but that’s the defence I’ve seen for VAR. I only think VAR should be used to eradicate cheating and (the literal definition of clear and obvious) errors such as ones which only require one viewing to see it was wrong or just bin it altogether

5 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

I’m not saying its perfect but that’s the defence I’ve seen for VAR. I only think VAR should be used to eradicate cheating and (the literal definition of clear and obvious) errors such as ones which only require one viewing to see it was wrong or just bin it altogether

I wouldn't say one viewing but my own thoughts aren't really far off of this.

If we are going to use VAR to call offsides on the basis of a millimetre or two, then what is the point in having linesman? The human eye can't detect it in real time. 

It wasn't a clear and obvious error and shouldn't have been reviewed. It's ridiculous that we're in the business of disallowing goals because an armpit is offside. 

VAR was actually right in allowing Liverpool's goal, then we end up back at square one only a minute or two later. 

It needs to be either severely restrained, or preferably, binned. 

Nice seeing Sullivan & Gold taking West Ham to the next level.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Saw them yesterday against Leicester reserves they were brutal, not sure the stadium helps, it's soulless