English Premier League 2019-20

Sacking an experienced manager and replacing him with an Inexperienced but popular ex-player?  What could go wrong?

In all seriousness, Emery was not Arsenal's problem.  An inability or unwillingness to sign competent centre backs and a midfield warrior/general are the problem.  Arsenal have great flair players but no spine and they haven't had a proper spine since the days of Patrick Viera, Sol Campell, Kolo Toure, et al

Roberto Martinez reportedly wanted the Spurs job so he could be interested in the Arsenal job. He wouldn't be my choice.

It's unlikely that Pochettino would take it so soon after leaving Spurs. Guardiola will not allow Arteta to leave.

How about Steven Gerrard as an outside bet? The seethe in Govan would be glorious.

15 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Roberto Martinez reportedly wanted the Spurs job so he could be interested in the Arsenal job. He wouldn't be my choice.

It's unlikely that Pochettino would take it so soon after leaving Spurs. Guardiola will not allow Arteta to leave.

How about Steven Gerrard as an outside bet? The seethe in Govan would be glorious.

That'd be a dreadful appointment! 33/1 though, same as Martinez. Rafa at 22/1 is surprising to me, would have thought it'd have been much shorter, there's a lot of talk about him on crazy money but I think he's the sort of guy that it wouldn't bother him much taking a pay cut - he can always go back to China or wherever for a big wedge if Arsenal didn't work out.

I think if Arteta and Arsenal wanted each other, it'd be done. I couldn't see him bring bound to City in a way that he couldn't escape for an opportunity as big as that.

Nuno has shades of Pochettino did when he was at Southampton with the success/failure in Europe. I think he'll be the guy but even then, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned them down. They are expecting top 4 finishes and their playing budget is probably a bit lower than that, seems to be asking for disappointment.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Sacking an experienced manager and replacing him with an Inexperienced but popular ex-player?  What could go wrong?

In all seriousness, Emery was not Arsenal's problem.  An inability or unwillingness to sign competent centre backs and a midfield warrior/general are the problem.  Arsenal have great flair players but no spine and they haven't had a proper spine since the days of Patrick Viera, Sol Campell, Kolo Toure, et al

Whenever we've seen any sort of financial info about spending, Wenger was doing a great job keeping them ticking along in the top 4 for as long as he did.

I think Arsenal and Man Utd (who didn't suffer from that resources problem) were so reliant on the managers they had that they've adapted appallingly ever since. When you see Leicester win the league, all the stars aligned for them but it wasn't a complete fluke, they have had a very robust transfer policy for years. Even this summer, they lost Maguire and had Soyuncu to step up from the bench. They seem to spend good money on these sorts of players around a year before their value goes mental.

7 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Whenever we've seen any sort of financial info about spending, Wenger was doing a great job keeping them ticking along in the top 4 for as long as he did.

I think Arsenal and Man Utd (who didn't suffer from that resources problem) were so reliant on the managers they had that they've adapted appallingly ever since. When you see Leicester win the league, all the stars aligned for them but it wasn't a complete fluke, they have had a very robust transfer policy for years. Even this summer, they lost Maguire and had Soyuncu to step up from the bench. They seem to spend good money on these sorts of players around a year before their value goes mental.

Leicester's transfer record has been mixed over the last few seasons. They spent substantial fees and wages on players who are on loan or rarely get a game - Slimani, Iheanacho, Benkovic and Adrien Silva. Diabate, Gezzai and Kapustka are duds but did not cost much.