English Premier League 2019-20

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Had a feeling this was coming, don't think he wanted sacked in November when 14th in the Championship.

To be honest he should have went at the end of last season.

It really was a case of taking a club as far as it could go, it all looked a bit stale this year. Will be interesting to see what he can do with a fresh challenge.

9 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Sancho would have to be utterly mental to join Man U IMO.

Also Grealish/Cantwell et al are nowhere near as good as is made out, would be amazed if either of them went to a top 4 club.

It's amazing that City did not insert a buy-back clause when they sold Sancho. However, he's not worth the crazy fees that have been mentioned.

I agree that Grealish and Cantwell are not top 4 level. 

Howe clearly did a very good job at Bournemouth overall but their abysmal transfer business would be a major red flag to any club with a serious budget to spend. As for the rest, there just aren't many obvious sack race candidates in the top flight right now. Possibly West Brom would be a good fit if they tank on their return to the top flight but other than that Howe is probably going to have to take his chances steering one of the dozen 'sleeping giant' clown-car outfits out of the Championship instead. It's just not a good time to be on the free market.

10 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Also Grealish/Cantwell et al are nowhere near as good as is made out, would be amazed if either of them went to a top 4 club.

Their nationality has a lot to do with it, England has the opposite problem to ourselves.  Scottish fans absolutely love the idea of signing a foreign superstar, often hyping an absolute jobber cos they have a different passport.   English fans see someone eligible to play for them and they’re going to be the man to lift the World Cup cos they had a good 20 minutes.

Edited by parsforlife

Their nationality has a lot to do with it, England has the opposite problem to ourselves.  Scottish fans absolutely love the idea of signing a foreign superstar, often hyping an absolute jobber cos they have a different passport.   English fans see someone eligible to play for them and they’re going to be the man to lift the World Cup cos they had a good 20 minutes.

It’s to do with the requirement of 8 home grown players in a champions league squad too. That puts a premium on Young English players.

England do have a frightening amount of young talent coming through at the moment right enough.

Daniel James, Lingard and Mason Mount are top 4 players and Grealish is as good of not better than them.

Cantwell is nothing special. Another overrated English battling midfielder like Ross Barkley or Harry Winks.

I don’t think Grealish is worth all the hype he’s is getting, but I’d still rather have him in my team than both Jesse ‘calendar year with no goals or assists’ Lingard and Dan ‘gotta go faster’ James if it was a straight choice.

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Daniel James, Lingard and Mason Mount are top 4 players and Grealish is as good of not better than them.

Cantwell is nothing special. Another overrated English battling midfielder like Ross Barkley or Harry Winks.

Lingard is absolute horseshit, though. Should be nowhere near a club like Man Utd. 

Grealish is indeed  a much better player than him but he's realistically a bit part plater or less at a big club. He's probably Everton's next in the series of sign a player for big money that doesn't markedly improve the team. 

Agree with this.
Mount is a decent player......but he is a poor mans Pulisic. When he went off injured yesterday you could see the life and belief rapidly sucked out the Chelsea team.

Mount has also had a very good first season even if he isn’t as good as Lampard seems to think he is. Very harsh comparing him with someone like Lingard.

On 31/07/2020 at 09:39, ahemps said:

I think they need a new goalkeeper, left back and maybe one other top player to have the squad to challenge, although I don't think they have the manager to seriously do that though.

They don’t even so much need a ‘new’ goalkeeper as opposed to just getting shot of De Gea and bringing Dean Henderson back from Sheffield. Even the vague glimpses we’ve had of Romero suggest he’s less prone to diddyness than De Gea. 

Outwith the goalkeeper role, I think Man Utd need almost an entirely new defence. Wan Bissaka on the whole seems to be a fairly competent defender, but Shaw is an almost constant sick-note and the centre half are utter horse-shit.

On 31/07/2020 at 09:41, Savage Henry said:

That’s fair.  But I’d still say he’s every bit as good as old egghead.

You’re having a laugh.

On 31/07/2020 at 12:49, Bully Wee Villa said:

If Man U sign Jimenez does that mean they wouldn't be after Grealish?

Both are just paper-talk IMO. 

On 31/07/2020 at 19:10, Bishop Briggs said:

No. Very different players. I can't see United signing both Sancho and Grealish, especially if Jimenez signs too. 

Tbh, I've never been convinced that United really want Grealish, especially at the fees being mentioned in the media.

Again I think it’s just paper-talk, but any interest they may have had in Grealish I reckon would’ve been in the hope Villa had been relegated and better placing them to make a significantly lower offer than the prices being rumoured.

21 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Sancho would have to be utterly mental to join Man U IMO.

Why?

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Grealish is indeed  a much better player than him but he's realistically a bit part plater or less at a big club. He's probably Everton's next in the series of sign a player for big money that doesn't markedly improve the team. 

I have the same kind of view of Grealish. The boy’s a very good player obviously but there’s something about him that always makes me think he’s one of those players that are better off being the big-fish in the little pond. 

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

Lingard is absolute horseshit, though. Should be nowhere near a club like Man Utd. 

This. Daniel James does not look like a top 4 starter. If Sancho comes in, he (like Lingard)  will be surplus to requirements.

Solskjaer needs to unload several more to raise cash. Romero, Dalot, Smalling/Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Tuanzebe, Chong, both Pereiras and Sanchez would not be missed.  

Dalot, now third choice RB behind Fosu-Mensah, cost £20 million!United reportedly want £15 million from Inter for Alexis Sanchez. Surely, they would happy to just get rid of his massive, inflated wages.

Howe clearly did a very good job at Bournemouth overall but their abysmal transfer business would be a major red flag to any club with a serious budget to spend. As for the rest, there just aren't many obvious sack race candidates in the top flight right now. Possibly West Brom would be a good fit if they tank on their return to the top flight but other than that Howe is probably going to have to take his chances steering one of the dozen 'sleeping giant' clown-car outfits out of the Championship instead. It's just not a good time to be on the free market.

The abject failure at Burnley will also count against him a wee bit I think - that might lean in to a slight notion of him being a good fit for Bournemouth but not a guaranteed success elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Two of those three barely play. Mount is about in par with Grealish. 

8 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Mount is a decent player......but he is a poor man's Pulisic

Two completely different players.