English Premier League 2019-20

English football really has gone mental when you see Ake going for £40million and think “that’s no as much as I thought it’d be actually”.
Exactly. I heard £40 million and initially thought that was a huge price. Then I remembered that Maguire went for £80 million and it didn't sound so bad. It's wild down there.

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Raul Jimenez is apparently leaving Wolves and signing for Man Utd.

I used to like him as well.

It's strange that Man Utd are going for him. They are also heavily linked with Grealish and Sancho. To me it is not the attacking side of their team they need to strengthen. I think they need a new goalkeeper, left back and maybe one other top player to have the squad to challenge, although I don't think they have the manager to seriously do that though.

14 hours ago, virginton said:

He's a Championship player by status, Bournemouth need to raise money badly and the broader market is tanking in the wake of Covid. £40m is a more than generous deal for Bournemouth in that context.

That’s fair.  But I’d still say he’s every bit as good as old egghead.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If Man U sign Jimenez does that mean they wouldn't be after Grealish?

No. Very different players. I can't see United signing both Sancho and Grealish, especially if Jimenez signs too. 

Tbh, I've never been convinced that United really want Grealish, especially at the fees being mentioned in the media.

English football really has gone mental when you see Ake going for £40million and think “that’s no as much as I thought it’d be actually”.
English football went mental a long time ago, m8.

It's strange that Man Utd are going for him.

Nothing Man U do in terms of signings is strange any more as they adapted a panic, scatter gun, buying of largely below quality journey men for random positions since SAF resigned.

18 hours ago, printer said:

Nothing Man U do in terms of signings is strange any more as they adapted a panic, scatter gun, buying of largely below quality journey men for random positions since SAF resigned.

They have changed strategy a bit and they do seem to have some logic to their approach. After SAF left they went for the short term option by signing big names likes Di Maria, Falcao, Mata, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez, Ibra, Matic etc. That went so badly for them (with one or two exceptions) and cost them so much money that they now seem to be going for signing younger players with potential, with a focus on British where possible - James, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire (obviously doesn't fit into the young category) and Fernandes. They are also leaving space for the likes of Greenwood and McTominay to come through, whereas previously they would have filled those positions with expensive senior signings. This is why they are getting linked with every half decent young player going, particularly British ones.

Who knows how it will work out, some already look like poor signings - James is abysmal and Maguire isn't at the level they need. But I definitely think they have a clear strategy now that they didn't have previously.