English Premier League 2019-20

11 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yep I think they'll go the same way as Portsmouth. 

Portsmouth had an extremely dodgy ownership situation.  When the property crash happened, one of Gaydamak's creditors basically tried to take Portsmouth in payment of debts.  That led to all sorts of manoeuvrings around non-existent Saudis (which the Premier League helpfully completely failed to do anything about) before being put into administration.

Unless Maxim Demin slags off Putin, that is not likely to happen to Bournemouth.  Their main risk is if he cashes in right now, as their ground is too tiny to attract anyone new.

There isn't any evidence to back that up. It is possible, but there isn't concrete proof of where the colours came from. Most likely story I've heard is that one of our players was a draper and happened to have those colours, so that's why we wear them.

QP were the biggest Scottish influence on us. Played them in the cup and got battered. 4-0, I think. We decided to copy their passing game and abandon the dribbling game popular in England. Won the cup within a few years and went on to be, arguably, the biggest club in the league for a while.

Queen's Park were a strong influence on football in Birmingham - the Calthorpe club was basically Scots in Brum circa 1872 and they bought a set of shirts from Queen's Park, which they alternated with a Royal Engineers-style blue and red, but with a cross of St Andrew on them.  Re-run the football clock and they should have been the biggest club in the city, but they were barred from charging admission by a restrictive covenant, so remained amateur.

The QP influence makes sense given that the Spiders were the first properly organized outfit that sussed out the secrets of the game.  And they were quite evangelical, q.v. Dumbarton/Renton/Vale of Leven switching from shinty after QP toured there.

There isn't any evidence to back that up. It is possible, but there isn't concrete proof of where the colours came from. Most likely story I've heard is that one of our players was a draper and happened to have those colours, so that's why we wear them.
QP were the biggest Scottish influence on us. Played them in the cup and got battered. 4-0, I think. We decided to copy their passing game and abandon the dribbling game popular in England. Won the cup within a few years and went on to be, arguably, the biggest club in the league for a while.

They seem to have gone through a load of Combinations in the early days including some football obvious Scotland shirts and a distinctly Jambo number in the early 1880s. And a Queen’s Park one mid way through the decade. They were recognisable as their modern colours by the end of the decades

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa.htm

Did West Ham base their kit on Villa?

If you ever wanted to know how much of a busted flush Mourinho is, Wildly celebrating scraping 6th place in the Barclays pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

Minter.
All Or Nothing documentary crew probably had something to do with it too.

35 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They seem to have gone through a load of Combinations in the early days including some football obvious Scotland shirts and a distinctly Jambo number in the early 1880s. And a Queen’s Park one mid way through the decade. They were recognisable as their modern colours by the end of the decades

I don't know, tbh. I know Palace played in claret and blue because we gave them some kits.

1 hour ago, Forest_Fifer said:

And the Garth Crooks EPL team of the year is in, and Maguire is in at centre half. SMFH.

Garth Crooks' team of the season: De Bruyne, Vardy, Mane, Aubameyang, Sterling - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53546051

Can’t argue much with the rest of his selection to be fair but Maguire in there is wild. I don’t think there’s one stand out option to be the other centre half but their are at least half a dozen far more worthy candidates. Soyuncu, Tarkowski, any of the Sheff Utd back three, maybe a couple of the Wolves defenders? All had a better season than Harry Maguire IMO

Can’t argue much with the rest of his selection to be fair but Maguire in there is wild. I don’t think there’s one stand out option to be the other centre half but their are at least half a dozen far more worthy candidates. Soyuncu, Tarkowski, any of the Sheff Utd back three, maybe a couple of the Wolves defenders? All had a better season than Harry Maguire IMO
I went for Connor Coady in my own team, with the rest almost the same (Pope for Ederson due to more to do, Adama Traore for Sterling since he can change a game so quickly).

Apparently so....

Colours - West Ham United. The Irons permanently adopted claret and blue for home colours in the summer of 1899. ... Bill Dove defeated them and, when they were unable to pay the bet, one of the Villa players who was responsible for washing the team's kit offered a complete team's 'football kits' to Dove in payment.

The Barclays, everyone.

Seeking compensation for being relegated due to being pish all season? Not exactly a novel idea. Probably get pundits saying that Bournemouth have a case and they should absolutely go for it. Wonder who the english, tom english will be?

15 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I went for Connor Coady in my own team, with the rest almost the same (Pope for Ederson due to more to do, Adama Traore for Sterling since he can change a game so quickly).

Boly is a level up on Coady in the Wolves defence and would have got my pick. As much as Slabface shouldn't be in a Team of the Year it's not exactly been a vintage season for centre-backs: you'd certainly take nobody from Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham or Arsenal which is highly unusual (less so Arsenal). 

On a similar note, while I don't think he's anywhere near as bad a defender as some people claim, Liverpool managing to get a supposed fee of fully £11 million from Zenit for Dejan Lovren is a disgustingly good piece of business for them in this summer's transfer market. This ridiculous flow of transfer income for these Ibe, Solanke fiures on the fringes of the squad is what allows them to strengthen their first team year on year.

Boly is a level up on Coady in the Wolves defence and would have got my pick. As much as Slabface shouldn't be in a Team of the Year it's not exactly been a vintage season for centre-backs: you'd certainly take nobody from Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham or Arsenal which is highly unusual (less so Arsenal). 
On a similar note, while I don't think he's anywhere near as bad a defender as some people claim, Liverpool managing to get a supposed fee of fully £11 million from Zenit for Dejan Lovren is a disgustingly good piece of business for them in this summer's transfer market. This ridiculous flow of transfer income for these Ibe, Solanke fiures on the fringes of the squad is what allows them to strengthen their first team year on year.

Yeah but Coady is English and he’s done being English much better than Boly.

Henderson has been very good no doubt. But would he have even been rated above Fabinho if their nationalities were the other way around?