English Premier League 2019-20

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Which proves it's not the technology that's the problem, it's the useless c***s that are operating it.

Fifa takes over VAR management

The Premier League will have to follow Fifa guidelines regarding the use of the video assistant referee after the world governing body confirmed it was taking over management of its implementation.

The pre-planned move comes at the end of a four-year process during which Fifa worked with the International Football Association Board around VAR, which is now used in more than 100 countries.

Although Fifa has declared VAR to be "a universal success", there has been confusion in the Premier League around such issues as use of the pitchside monitors. Mike Riley - general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the referees' body - limited the use of monitors to avoid slowing the game down.

This went against the general guidance and the anticipation is Fifa will expect this to be used more extensively.

In addition, rules around handball, offside and goalkeepers standing on their lines for penalties will all be dealt with through Fifa.

I've said that all along. The English officials are the worst about.

I saw this yesterday in a bigger article on the BBC. It sounds like FIFA haven't taken kindly to countries going rogue. There's been big inconsistencies between handball decisions for example (compare Serie A v EPL), and obviously use of monitors.

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The Premier League have admitted that VAR managed to get penalty decisions wrong in each of the three matches yesterday. Quite the achievement. 

To be fair, the referees got the decisions wrong in the first place.  So not having VAR would have made no difference.

There's always the focus where VAR gets things wrong, but less on where it gets things right - or where there are rank bad decisions that do not get overturned because of a lack of VAR.

1 hour ago, David W said:

I saw this yesterday in a bigger article on the BBC. It sounds like FIFA haven't taken kindly to countries going rogue. There's been big inconsistencies between handball decisions for example (compare Serie A v EPL), and obviously use of monitors.

The handball problems are thanks to the idiotic FIFA "clarification" on accidental handballs leading to a goal.  Nobody was clamouring for that.

The use of a pitchside monitor is also unsatisfactory, as we saw in the World Cup.  It is also immense pressure on an official.  "We think you got that decision wrong, go and do it again".  Like doing the times tables.

59 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The handball problems are thanks to the idiotic FIFA "clarification" on accidental handballs leading to a goal.  Nobody was clamouring for that.

The use of a pitchside monitor is also unsatisfactory, as we saw in the World Cup.  It is also immense pressure on an official.  "We think you got that decision wrong, go and do it again".  Like doing the times tables.

I'm not talking about that handball rule, I'm talking about general handballs leading to penalties etc. 

The more I see the Fernandes one, the more I think he should have been sent off. Over the top of the ball, and lands halfway up a stationary player's shin.
How on earth was that given as a penalty?

I was thinking this last night, it was definitely at least a booking for Fernandes. Quite inexplicable that it was given as a penalty.

5 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Exactly this. Bobby Madden was on a podcast the other day saying he'd be for VAR in Scotland if the option ever arose but only if it is used correctly, I.e clear and obvious errors and not pish like 5 minute delays to decide if someone is a bawhair offside about 20 passes ago.

If the technology is brought in then it has to be used for 'pish' decisions like the one you listed though. Otherwise its just a massive waste of money. 

It should, however, have never been brought in. 

Gary Neville tweeted that the biggest cause of their problems is the onfield ref not using the screen, there seems to be a real fear in the VAR room about overturning any decision as they seem to think it undermines the onfield ref.

The handball laws are now ludicrous, we now have different sets of laws for attackers and defenders.

The handball law also results in the ridiculous paradox that we've already seen.

Defender handles in the area.  Accidental, so no penalty.  But from that a break results, his team then scores.  The referee then has to disallow the goal because of handball in the build-up - and because it was handball that led to a goal, he has to give a penalty for the accidental handball...

23 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Yeah.  The English system is no better or worse than the rules which were brought in.  It’s almost as if there’s one set for leagues with VAR, and one for those without.  The utterly farcical handball rule is the most obvious of those.  

21 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 10/07/2020 at 10:51, David W said:

Gary Neville tweeted that the biggest cause of their problems is the onfield ref not using the screen, there seems to be a real fear in the VAR room about overturning any decision as they seem to think it undermines the onfield ref.

Certainly that’s the case now.  At the beginning of the season, almost everything was being overruled.