English Premier League 2019-20

13 minutes ago, spud131 said:
3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:
Same old story with Luiz. That was another terrible performance. Luiz cost Chelsea a lot of goals by not chasing back or not closing down opponents.
He often doesn't seem to care or bother. His contract is up at the end of the season and Arteta would be crazy to extend it. 
ETA - Taxi for Ozil and Torreira who couldn't get in that 20 man squad! 

Think Ozil will be away but Torreira was just coming back from a bad ankle injury which might explain his absence.

I'm not sure that other clubs will want to match Ozil's wages at Arsenal. A loan deal is a possibility.

Torreira is not listed as injured at the moment so he may be lacking match fitness. There have been reports that he wants to leave.

ETA - Transfermkt says he's injured.

Arteta will need time to rebuild a poor squad. There's no money so he'll have to sell, swap, loan or sign free agents.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Ridding themselves of Luiz's wage would be a good start but this is the consequence many years of poor transfer dealings coming to the forefront for Arsenal.  They have needed better centre backs and a proper defensive midfielder for probably close to a decade now and keep spending money on flair players.  Don't get me wrong I think Aubameyang, Lacazette et al are good players but that money would have been better spent on centre backs

Edit: forgot about the fact that they spend 80 million euros on Nicolas Pepe who has been pretty mediocre

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I can’t imagine Kante being sold unless it’s to one of the top-tier European teams if I’m being honest.

Kante has been linked to be a target for PSG. He was born and raised in Paris so it's a logical rumour. It could, of course, just be a ruse by his agent to get him a new deal.

I hoping that the excellent Gilmour will get regular starts this and next season. His performances before the lockdown deservedly got rave reviews from the pundits. He'd add real quality to the Scotland team too.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Kante has been linked to be a target for PSG. He was born and raised in Paris so it's a logical rumour. It could, of course, just be a ruse by his agent to get him a new deal.

I hoping that the excellent Gilmour will get regular starts this and next season. His performances before the lockdown deservedly got rave reviews from the pundits. He'd add real quality to the Scotland team too.

If Chelsea were smart they would place a ridiculous price tag (say 150 million) on Kante just to try to fleece PSG out of extra cash. It's the way Liverpool does business with Bournemouth

20 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

If Chelsea were smart they would place a ridiculous price tag (say 150 million) on Kante just to try to fleece PSG out of extra cash. It's the way Liverpool does business with Bournemouth

😁 What were Bournemouth thinking when they signed Ibe and Solanke? They cost more than Mo Salah! 

Liverpool are great negotiators. The Coutinho deal was their best imho - it paid for Van Dijk and Alisson!

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

😁 What were Bournemouth thinking when they signed Ibe and Solanke? They cost more than Mo Salah! 

Liverpool are great negotiators. The Coutinho deal was their best imho - it paid for Van Dijk and Alisson!

It's incredible how much better Liverpool have become in the transfer market in the last few years.  Not that long ago they were doing things like panic buying Mario Balotelli or over paying massively for the likes of Lazar Markovic and Christian Benteke.  I can't think of a single bad deal they have done in the last 4 years

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

It's incredible how much better Liverpool have become in the transfer market in the last few years.  Not that long ago they were doing things like panic buying Mario Balotelli or over paying massively for the likes of Lazar Markovic and Christian Benteke.  I can't think of a single bad deal they have done in the last 4 years

They even got £20 million from Southampton for Danny Ings at the end his loan. He had less than 20 appearances for Liverpool in 3 years! Fair dues though, he's done well recently.

As for bad deals, Keita has yet to justify his £60 million fee. I was also surprised that Liverpool paid £38 million for Oxlade-Chamberlain. The Ox moved because he wants to play on the right-wing but Salah was signed at around the same time.

Transfermkt says that Chelsea sold Salah to Roma for £15 million and De Bruyne to Wolfsburg for £22 million. Mourinho didn't rate them and they were also loaned out before being sold! 😂

17 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Chelsea sold Salah to Roma for £15 million and De Bruyne to Wolfsburg for £22 million. Mourinho didn't rate them and they were also loaned out before being sold! 

Mourinho wanted to keep them both but they wanted game time and considering they were about 20 and rightly behind the likes of Lampard, Oscar, Matic, Willian and Hazard in the pecking order then sending them out on loan was 100% the correct thing to do. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Mourinho wanted to keep them both but they wanted game time and considering they were about 20 and rightly behind the likes of Lampard, Oscar, Matic, Willian and Hazard in the pecking order then sending them out on loan was 100% the correct thing to do. 

Really? De Bruyne made only 9 appearances (in 6 months) for Chelsea before Mourinho sold him. Similarly, Salah played over 20 games in about a year being sent out on loan to Fiorentina. Another example was Juan Cuadrado who did not last long at Stamford Bridge before being offloaded to Juventus.

If Mourinho had rated those players, he would have kept them as squad members. He rarely develops young players at his clubs and also punted Lukaku to Everton. His approach has been to spend big money to bring in players that he wants. Spend big, sell cheap did not work at Chelsea or Man United. He won't be able to do that at Spurs.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

10 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Spend big, sell cheap did not work at Chelsea or Man United. He won't be able to do that at Spurs.

He has been on record, numerous times, saying he wanted them kept. 

I don't really see how he could be seen as 'spend big, sell cheap' when the club received more than double what they paid - for both players - when they left. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

[emoji16] What were Bournemouth thinking when they signed Ibe and Solanke? They cost more than Mo Salah! 

My favourite was the 20M they paid us for Stewart Downing

3 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:
4 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:
emoji16.png What were Bournemouth thinking when they signed Ibe and Solanke? They cost more than Mo Salah! 

Dalglish obviously liked him! That was a big fee a few years ago. Rodgers sold him at a big loss.

Surely Andy Carroll was the worst? £50m donation from Chelsea for a clearly finished Torres and they go and panic buy him for £35m, a record fee for a British player at the time. Crazy.
Talking about Liverpool signings, I never really understood why Suarez never left Ajax earlier. The guy was doing it at Ajax for 3+ seasons but nobody made a significant move until Liverpool from what I remember.

[emoji38]
Some of the shite spouted the past couple of days here has been unreal. 
There's no doubt he went significantly down hill after several different injuries at the tail end of his time at Liverpool. I don't see how that's debatable.
Scoring a couple of important goals post injury doesn't change the fact that it was a ridiculous fee.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think I'll need to drink a similar amount of bevvy as Delia to get through this match. Brutal stuff.

It's been chronic. I had the misfortune of sitting through the full 90 minutes at Villa Park the other night and now this. FML.

1 minute ago, charger29 said:

There's no doubt he went significantly down hill after several different injuries at the tail end of his time at Liverpool. I don't see how that's debatable.
Scoring a couple of important goals post injury doesn't change the fact that it was a ridiculous fee.

He struggled at Chelsea. You're claiming he was finished at 25. 

Theres a massive difference between not hitting heights set at Liverpool and and being finished.