English Premier League 2019-20

1 hour ago, red23 said:

Let's hope this drags a lot of English teams, financed purely on TV money, down the shitter.

So the coronavirus is spreading Anglophobia! La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga are have similar television deals. Season tickets and match day income are major sources of finance too.

The clubs will have business interruption insurance to cover revenue losses. Contractually, the television companies may be obliged to cough up (excuse the pun) the money anyway. They will have insurance cover too. The same applies to all countries. 

If this continues and the season can't just restart next month (as seems highly likely), what's the best solution and what d'you think is the most likely?

Continue to postpone the season until the worst of its over then finish the season, even if it means there is no Euro 2020 and next season's league competitions start late and are curtailed to fit into a much shorter season.

Just cancel this season, declare it null and void and everyone basically starts a new season from scratch?

If this continues and the season can't just restart next month (as seems highly likely), what's the best solution and what d'you think is the most likely? Continue to postpone the season until the worst of its over then finish the season, even if it means there is no Euro 2020 and next season's league competitions start late and are curtailed to fit into a much shorter season. Just cancel this season, declare it null and void and everyone basically starts a new season from scratch?

International football is a fucking bore 99% of the time and that’s not even factoring in being Scottish! Euro 2020 can get in the fucking bin as far as I’m concerned. Champions League too.

I’ve no actual evidence obviously but my gut instinct tells me the vastly overwhelming majority of football fans across Europe would much rather see their domestic competitions played to a conclusion over the summer if possible and if need be than have the Euros.

With regards to the financial implications for football, you’d like to think that the associations can reach some sort of agreement with the broadcasters that given the exceptional circumstances and if teams and players are willing, perhaps they can look at playing games behind closed doors and showing as many live on TV or PPV or whatever, generate some sort of revenue to support clubs at all levels as best as possible and get the season concluded. Unfortunately I know that idea is unlikely to go ahead as football fans are fuckwits and will try get in or gather outside.

International football is a fucking bore 99% of the time and that’s not even factoring in being Scottish! Euro 2020 can get in the fucking bin as far as I’m concerned. Champions League too.  
I’ve no actual evidence obviously but my gut instinct tells me the vastly overwhelming majority of football fans across Europe would much rather see their domestic competitions played to a conclusion over the summer if possible and if need be than have the Euros.

With regards to the financial implications for football, you’d like to think that the associations can reach some sort of agreement with the broadcasters that given the exceptional circumstances and if teams and players are willing, perhaps they can look at playing games behind closed doors and showing as many live on TV or PPV or whatever, generate some sort of revenue to support clubs at all levels as best as possible and get the season concluded. Unfortunately I know that idea is unlikely to go ahead as football fans are fuckwits and will try get in or gather outside.
I agree with this. Domestic football at the expense of all others.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

At the expense of all others? As in ‘bin the Euros’ or is there something else you’re saying here?

Yeah bin the Euros as a bare minimum, probably European qualifiers and league cup too,  and complete domestically, which would come with the added bonus of summer football 2 years in a row. 

Yeah bin the Euros as a bare minimum, probably European qualifiers and league cup too,  and complete domestically, which would come with the added bonus of summer football 2 years in a row.   

Summer football 2 years in a row by postponing the Euros for a year or a late start to the next domestic season? Both sound an appealing option to me personally, but I know summer football in the lower tiers is often met with difficulties with players having full time jobs and juggling their summer holidays around school holidays etc.

ETA: There’s also the fact players and the rest of us will all be desperate to get away next summer given the forthcoming one looks to be fucked!

Think the Euros will have to be cancelled given it's a pan European affair. Should be able to be played in 2021 if need be, even though it'll clash with the Club World Cup and Womens Euros. The following season is going to be weird anyway with the winter World Cup, so there might be a way of having shorter than usual season (no League Cup, no FA Cup replays, one leg matches in Europe?) to get everything back on track for the start of the 2022-23 season.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Moomintroll

To rhe surprise of nobody, the Spiv was in the papers down here yesterday saying that this Season has to be scrapped, nothing to do with how shite Spurs have been of course.

Surprised to see it's not mentioned, but pretty much every EPL side is laying off non-playing staff rather than force their players to take pay cuts.

Bournemouth have stopped paying digs for youth players who were forced to relocate to sign for them, while Tottenham havent cut any players wage, but are instead using the Government furlough scheme to pay the wages of all non-playing staff.

Surprised to see it's not mentioned, but pretty much every EPL side is laying off non-playing staff rather than force their players to take pay cuts.
Bournemouth have stopped paying digs for youth players who were forced to relocate to sign for them, while Tottenham havent cut any players wage, but are instead using the Government furlough scheme to pay the wages of all non-playing staff.
I thought they are deciding what to do about pay cuts after the meeting tomorrow?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats honestly fucking criminal. For clubs from a league that boasts about its finances to seek hand outs from tax payers so their overpaid multimillionaire players and owners dont need to take a wage is nothing short of a scandal.

Any club seeking furloughing should be banned from paying transfer fees for at least the next 2 years. If you have enough money to spend millions on a player, you have enough money to pay non playing salaries.