English Premier League 2019-20

27 minutes ago, JMDP said:

No one was speaking about the quality of Liverpool or the top four though. It's the strength in depth of the league overall which is the weakest it has been for a long time. 

Although it did provide both Europa League finalists last year so their strength in depth can't be that hard up

Yet they make a trip to Madrid to play a team in poor form with several starters either out injured or not fully fit and don't even register a shot on target.

A damming indictment of the overall quality of the epl tbh.

No one was speaking about the quality of Liverpool or the top four though. It's the strength in depth of the league overall which is the weakest it has been for a long time. 

I have a season ticket for Atleti by the way. Of the back four that started against Liverpool, Savic has had a very poor season, Vrsaljko is nowhere near fully fit and Lodi has been slaughtered by the Spanish press - "Can't defend. Can't Attack" was the headline about him after the Valencia game before the Liverpool game where Torres ran him ragged.

Gimenez and Trippier were both injured from the first choice back line. Felix was also injured, Morata and Costa nowhere near full fitness. Even Koke, has come in for criticism recently and there have been calls for Simeone to go. Only Oblak and Correa have escaped criticism this season. The defence haven't been "famously brilliant or belligerent" this season at all.

Yet Liverpool were utterly clueless against them and didn't register a single shot against them. I still fancy them to go through but let's not pretend that most of the EPL is anything other than absolute fodder and Liverpool's run is a damming indictment of that.

Next time you enjoy taking the bait, maybe read it first. 

IMG_1154.thumb.jpg.46170935d908184239ba0c0af50d1785.jpg

4 hours ago, JMDP said:

Yet they make a trip to Madrid to play a team in poor form with several starters either out injured or not fully fit and don't even register a shot on target.

A damming indictment of the overall quality of the epl tbh.

A damning indictment? Come on admit it - that's a wee touch OTT. 

16 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

A damning indictment? Come on admit it - that's a wee touch OTT. 

OTT is the default setting for assessments of the state of the EPL

The English pundits who lamented that Liverpool were completely outclassed by Real Madrid and then hailed the Premier League as the greatest in the world the following season are one bad Man City performance away from pontificating about the English game being "In Crisis".

Logically there must currently be a "greatest league in the world" by whatever definition of "greatness" you choose to use but it's hard to argue that we're in one of those historic periods where there's a league that's head and shoulders above all the others. 

And personally I think that's a good thing. 

OTT is the default setting for assessments of the state of the EPL
The English pundits who lamented that Liverpool were completely outclassed by Real Madrid and then hailed the Premier League as the greatest in the world the following season are one bad Man City performance away from pontificating about the English game being "In Crisis".
Logically there must currently be a "greatest league in the world" by whatever definition of "greatness" you choose to use but it's hard to argue that we're in one of those historic periods where there's a league that's head and shoulders above all the others. 
And personally I think that's a good thing. 
Pretty much the only benchmark for comparison is European competition which is being further rigged, season on season, to ensure the same participants get stronger. When folk talk about comparing leagues they really mean comparing Champions League franchises IMO. Makes the whole thing pretty irrelevant to me

Starting to think Ben Chilwell might be a bit rubbish. 
Believe me he is. Watch him every week. He might bomb forward but his final ball is rubbish. A rare exception last night he put one good cross in. However, earlier he tried bring a player down then gave the ball away about 30 seconds later, but for a good save Leicester would have been one down earlier as a result of his error. Fuchs is a much better left back.

Believe me he is. Watch him every week. He might bomb forward but his final ball is rubbish. A rare exception last night he put one good cross in. However, earlier he tried bring a player down then gave the ball away about 30 seconds later, but for a good save Leicester would have been one down earlier as a result of his error. Fuchs is a much better left back.
He is English though and will therefore move for about 75 million in the summer

He is English though and will therefore move for about 75 million in the summer
Christ, if he moved, I'd accept a lot, lot less.

But I know what you mean.

When he was first coming through he had a lot of potential. In terms of playing ability he hasn't made the progress you'd hope. It doesn't say a lot for the media, English players, England and Gareth Southgate that he now plays for England.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:
9 minutes ago, Willow Rosenberg said:
Zaha cupping the ears asking for abuse and then getting upset about actually getting abuse. What a bellend.

The substitute seems a bit of a dick tbh

While this is true, he was merely giving Zaha what he quite blatantly asked for.

And he seems to carry this on while being on a booking ? Not the brightest certainly

He pretty much can’t be brought on now. Seems like a complete halfwit. Hoping Zaha scores now, because he’s about the only player on the pitch worth watching. These teams are terrible.

He also appears to be scared of hailstones. #TeamZaha

He pretty much can’t be brought on now. Seems like a complete halfwit. Hoping Zaha scores now, because he’s about the only player on the pitch worth watching. These teams are terrible.

He also appears to be scared of hailstones. #TeamZaha
Trossard I quite like. March trying to make something happen but dosnt seem to have the finishing touch.